Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 AM

235 posts, read 424,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I recall the Three Bears by McCreless Mall. Darryl, I see you have pics of the old one laner bridge out old Pleasanton Rd. I crossed that bridge many many times especially in the 60's. I too stopped and took a couple photos of it some time back. You obviously went to a lot more trouble. Did you locate a plaque with the construction date and info?
i looked for a plaque with a date, or some kind of info. both ends of bridge were blocked off. the south end was on someone's property, so could not gain access to the bridge from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellviewforever View Post
Around 1973 or 74 I threw the NORTHSIDE RECORDER. Remember that one? I threw 2700 papers and got a penny a paper. A little more if I put them in bags when it was raining. I took the seats out of my VW bug and filled it to the tippy top. I got my brothers and sisters to help me roll them while we watched Sonny & Cher and Cannon. I did the Jefferson Highschool area. People would call me if they didn't get their FREE!! paper! The two songs on the radio---Lord I was born a Ramblin man....Some people call me the Gangster of LOVE!
the northside recorder. my mom was ALWAYS reading it to find something. i still remember my paper route manager. name was cecil wright. years later, i would play on a softball team coached by him in 1978 called Guy Chipman Realtors. his son, wayne, played on the team as well. cecil worked for the san antonio express news for, seems like a hundred years. i still see him at an HEB.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
I was living in this little hole in the wall apartment but my Mom and Dad got cable. I remember watching "LOGANS RUN" The first time I saw ******* on TV. WOW! I remember those exercise girls too...UM..Do they do that at Planet Fitness??
me thinks those girls did enough exercises on that show, that they could all crack walnuts between their legs.....

Old 04-22-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I remember Tucker Field but I never saw a game there. I was bicycle active from 62 to 65 and lived on Beryl. I always went to the Baseball games at St. Gregory's. I would stay late and see the big guys play. 7th and 8th graders! I thought Tucker field was kind of sad. A perfectly good field that no one played on. When was Tucker field at it's peak and who played there? I always wondered that.
tucker field was the only field on that side of town to play on. we only had about 4-5 teams.[fedders air conditioning; lone star ice; jefferson state bank; buddys drive-in; whata burger. i always wondered who the kids were in the old picture hanging in some of the whata burger stores. the black and white ones. they are sitting at the counter; backs to the camera.
i remember Bruce Kemp playing at tucker. he used to knock the crap out of the ball. one of the Peine boys played there too. they all went to Lee.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post
i looked for a plaque with a date, or some kind of info. both ends of bridge were blocked off. the south end was on someone's property, so could not gain access to the bridge from there.
Thanks Darryl I might check it out next time I'm out that way. Here's a marker near there.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFREAK View Post
Speaking of Garcia's, great Mexican food. Back in the early 70's I lived just around the corner from there on Magnonlia St. Travel just a little south of there on South Flores and Poplar,.......MK Davis Party House,....cold cold beer and fried fish.

SA FREAK
M.K. Davis??.....here ya go....
M.K. Davis On S. Flores-2013 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 AM

Default Dellview

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
SAFREAK, were you going to St Gregorys? Mother Mary Magdalene was the principal there in 1963. I left St Gregorys after 4th grade and went to Dellview. I was in 5th grade then, too. Maybe we were classmates in K-4.
here are 3 different years for me @ Dellview.

1959----i believe my teacher was Mrs Buxton.....i am sitting in second row from door, 5th student back------http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Darryl_Glen_Pearson/media/darryl-dellview-elementary1959_zps4582abac.jpg.html

1960----i am all the way to the left, by coat rack, behind girl wearing brownie uniform---http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Darryl_Glen_Pearson/media/darryl-dellview-elementary1960_zps93a637db.jpg.html

1961-----i am first row on the right, 4th student back----http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Darryl_Glen_Pearson/media/darryl-dellview-elementary1961_zpsb437aa34.jpg.html

some of you may recognize others in the photo. i have long lost my other school pics from castle hills, olmos, and ridgeview.....

Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I remember the Kelly Drive In Movies as a kid off of Frio City Rd, and then the Trail Drive In...before it became XXX Rated. I remember being a kid, and the swing set area we would all go and play at. Our folks would back in all the station wagons with blankets and pillows, we would play until we almost dropped and then go back to the car and fall asleep in the back while the "adults" visited and watched the movie in their lawn chairs. I VIVIDELY remember those aluminum neon colored glasses with Ice Tea and the Tupperware "popcycles" homemade from Koolaid!!! GREAT memories for sure!!!
i was out in the frio city road area the other day, and decided to go up on the overhead walkway. that walkway is directly in front of a construction 'junkyard', where the old kelly drive in used to sit. the only remnant left of the drive in is part of the rusted steel frame that held up the screen. take a look-----
Kelly Drive-in On Frio City Road-2013 Video by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Old 04-23-2013, 01:31 AM

its Ben Henderson; the guy who does the MMA in The Octagon......

Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 AM

http://airwolf.lmtonline.com/news/ar...598/pagea4.pdf

i worked for freds wife, making arrests for her 'outstanding bonds'...she also ran the Jailhouse Cafe; at the time of the attempted killings{well, one guy was killed. he was a bounty hunter who went to "do in" another guy, and got whacked-gary taylor was his name), the cafe was located off comal street, under the commerce street bridge. that building is now occupied by another bail bond company{bruce embrey). the cafe then moved over to main street and I35, across from Lubys, where it remains today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio