Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times

Advertisements

I remember the smudge pots for road construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I remember the smudge pots. A friend of mine in 5th grade got severely burned by one. Two of us were in the ditch with a lit smudge pot and two were above ground when one of the smudge pots above ground tipped over spilled the fuel into the ditch. Set my friend on fire. He survived but had numerous skin grafts for the next several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Maybe we know each other,

I went through schols on the south side, Forbes elem ,Inez Foster, Connell Jr High(used to be hot wells) and then highlands.
Quote:
I was there from 68-70.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayover20 View Post
Well you don't accept pms (rather dm's) so I'll tell you that I grew up in very close to your area and went to St.Gerards elementary and high schools. we also had a party line and it was fun to pick up the phone to make a call only to hear someone else's conversation till they said "hey, is someone on the line?" then hang up. I'm not sure how long they stayed in service.
Wasn't St Gerard's the one on New Braunfels north of Hwy90 or 10 rather. Had a bowling alley in the basement I think??

Old 01-10-2010, 11:42 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
this is what I remember. This was the sixties. We discovered we could dial phone numbers by just pressing the disconnect button on the top of the phone--where the ear part sits. This was really fun for us ..seems silly now ..My grandmother had a party line and lived in a Duplex on Houston St. We could listen to the neighbors on the phone or by putting our ears to the floor! My Mom lived on Cooper st and would tell us stories about a woman who died there. Called pennies "Coppers" .

Old 01-11-2010, 06:38 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
I remember being able to dial using the hang up button. I went to Laura Steele 1-5th grades, then Highland Hills in the sixth grade, then to Hot Wells(changed to Connell when I was there I think),then to Highlands High. I think my Junior year is when they closed Brackenridge for reconstruction and split up the students between Highlands and Sam Houston(I think). There used to be a kindergarten school called Dan Ann and Jim that I went to before Laura Steele. I think it was on Drexel or somewhere.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:22 AM
RGJ

Remember when you could go to the one and only original Bill Miller's on Clark Ave and take an empty gallon container and you could fill it up with tea or even Root Beer? They had one of those big wooden barrels for the root beer.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 AM

113 posts, read 446,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Wasn't St Gerard's the one on New Braunfels north of Hwy90 or 10 rather. Had a bowling alley in the basement I think??
yes it was in the high school basement. The High school was (stiil is) on New Braunfels and Iowa sts. St.Gerard elem is on Gevers st. next to Smith elem.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 AM

113 posts, read 446,129 times
Quote:
I remember being able to dial using the hang up button. I went to Laura Steele 1-5th grades, then Highland Hills in the sixth grade, then to Hot Wells(changed to Connell when I was there I think),then to Highlands High. I think my Junior year is when they closed Brackenridge for reconstruction and split up the students between Highlands and Sam Houston(I think). There used to be a kindergarten school called Dan Ann and Jim that I went to before Laura Steele. I think it was on Drexel or somewhere.
Man, alot of us with commonalities for sure! In my 10th grade of high school I transferred from st. gerards to Brackenridge high and I believe it was in 1973 they tempoarily merged students from Fox Tech high with us so renovation could be done to Tech. Us Brack students attended classes in the first half of the day and the tech students went the second half. It was a mess for sure. The Brack underwent renovations and when I graduated in 1975 it was the first year that Bracks name changed to Wheatley. But it didn't last too long, name was reverted back to Brackenridge.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:15 AM

237 posts, read 851,315 times
Default Highlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I was at highlands from 66' to 68'.
They shoved me across the Municipal Auditorium stage in May 1963 Huck so I missed you by a few years. Things were probably pretty different at Highlands and other SA high-schools by 1968. I was here in Austin at UT by then with long hair, weird clothes and a funny gaze as times had certainly changed a bit since I left Highlands.

Last edited by BudB; 01-11-2010 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: fix phrase

Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 AM
RGJ

My older brother graduated from HHS in 1967, my sister in 1965, brother in law in 1963(I think). They all went to UT austin for a year or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio