Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 AM

11 posts, read 25,395 times

Advertisements

I think that was it.....that name does ring a bell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 04:55 PM

10 posts, read 20,691 times
I worked at the Majestic for a couple of years. I spent hours upon hours exploring that fantastic theatre. I found many hidden hallways and mysterious rooms. I never saw anything that would seem to be a tunnel. Doesn't it wasn't there. It just means that if it was there, i never saw it.. We were always sharing stories about the theater ... Being ushers, we often had down time. There were lots of stories passed down from an usher who worked there since the 40's, and although he had a hundred fascinating things to pass on to us youngsters, he never mentioned "tunnels" ... We would been all over that one!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:23 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,199,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
just out of curiosity,

one what??................
A Dunkin' Donuts. I don't know how my reply got here.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:39 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Could have been. The old Turtle Creek Inn at Datapoint & Parkdale became a place called River City Fair around the late 1980s. Never went there myself (I don't think it lasted more than a year or two), but it was billed as an entertainment/gaming venue.
I tried going there in high school and they informed me i had to be 21, it was a pre dave and busters.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatliner12 View Post
I worked at the Majestic for a couple of years. I spent hours upon hours exploring that fantastic theatre. I found many hidden hallways and mysterious rooms. I never saw anything that would seem to be a tunnel. Doesn't it wasn't there. It just means that if it was there, i never saw it.. We were always sharing stories about the theater ... Being ushers, we often had down time. There were lots of stories passed down from an usher who worked there since the 40's, and although he had a hundred fascinating things to pass on to us youngsters, he never mentioned "tunnels" ... We would been all over that one!
I don't know specifically about the Majestic, but would be surprised if there were not tunnels to it's basement.

My father did some remodeling work at the Aztec back in the early 80s and told me that there are tunnels going between many basements in the downtown area. He had not known about them prior to the Aztec job, but was amazed at how extensive they were. I don't know how many he walked in those months, but as the general contractor he had plenty of time and authority to check them out. He did not know how old they were or why they were constructed, but he felt they predated WWII and were likely included as part of the civil defenses during and after WWII due to some of the supplies stocked in the one at the Aztec. It appeared it was storage or passage to one of the bomb shelters although he was not sure if the Aztec had ever been a designated bomb shelter.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Default I remember ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeta2 View Post
Does anyone remember "Atlantic City" on Fredricksburg road, just a mile or so south of 410? It would have been there around 65 or 1966...
my parents used to shop there when it first opened. They had a great record department. Every album I bought there is still part of my 14,000 record collection

Old 07-22-2012, 06:30 PM

Default puzzlers and the finkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Sizzler had the most excellent salad bar! I remember when the Sizzlers became Finkels.... and then the Finkels became nothing....

I used to eat at the Mama's next to Northwest 14 theatre (When it was Northwest 6). It was a good place to take a date before or after catching a movie. I think it's now a Hot Tin Roof place. We went to see True Grit last weekend at the NW 14 because it was dead there. Oddly, there is still a Mama's sign in the movie parking lot right next to the Hot Tin Roof.
I worked for the Finkles and their Sizzlers for several years. They were hands-down the nicest family I have ever worked for. I actually worked directly for Larry but Ron was always involved too. I opened their new braunfels store off walnut and 35. I learned an aweful lot from Ron and Larry.. Wonderful people ...

Old 07-22-2012, 07:35 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
anyone remember the HemisTower going up??

I helped build it, and remember well.

some good images here, butt, ya gotta click and zoom a bit.....

,,,,,,,,,,,,, UTSA Libraries - HemisFair

Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default I do...

I used to watch it going up daily from my high school biology class at Highlands High, a
Mr. Foster was the instuctor. From a hilltop the building stood facing north
you could directly see the thing going up if you looked to the left and out the window
everyday, bit by bit.

It is interesting Mud... that you worked there, what part did you play in its' construction?
I remember Lyda Contracting was in there.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
I knew Mr Foster real well. I went to school with his boy, Eugene. Mr F decided he was going to buy a new car but he was kinda inclined to be cheap. On teachers wages he obviously didn't make a lot back then. He went and picked up a brand new red 66 Impala that he just knew it was the cheapest they made cause it had a standard transmission. Turns out it also had a fiberglas front end on it and a 396 under the hood with 2-4's. A VERY limited production Impala. Gene drove it for a few years and as I remember correctly, it got wrecked parked on the street. Bad deal.
I knew some folks that worked the steel on the Tower named Duke. Supposedly there was a guy that fell in the shaft as it was being poured and he's still in it as they couldn't stop the pour. Don't really know if that's true or BS but it made a good story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio