Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:03 PM

41 posts, read 97,121 times

Advertisements

Hi
Just moved here and am trying to get a feel for the area. I have lived in 2 other cities where the neighborhoods all had 'nick names' the locals used but couldn't be found on any map. (Houston and Pittsburgh) - I have also seen a few area's mentioned here such as Westover Hills (sp) and the Quarry and have no idea if I am near those or not.

I live at 13000 Vista Del Norte in the 78216 zip. Does this area have a local nickname? One that I could use when reading the forums, or posting. Is there a place on these forums that explains the areas to newbies like me?

What I am trying to figure out is what nearby neighborhoods have stores that I would like. The local HEB was kind of nasty, so I wanted to find a nicer grocery store. I figure if someone could point me to a nice local neighborhood I would find one and other essentials like a Bed Bath and Beyond, nail salon and tanning salon (don't laugh).

Thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Vista del Norte is in the area considered to be North Central. That's more of a geographic description for convenience than a local designation. It's also the name of the neighborhood that includes the street. AFAIK, there aren't many threads about Vista del Norte, but I do recall a few mentions of it in other threads.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:29 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerose927 View Post
Hi
Just moved here and am trying to get a feel for the area. I have lived in 2 other cities where the neighborhoods all had 'nick names' the locals used but couldn't be found on any map. (Houston and Pittsburgh) - I have also seen a few area's mentioned here such as Westover Hills (sp) and the Quarry and have no idea if I am near those or not.

I live at 13000 Vista Del Norte in the 78216 zip. Does this area have a local nickname? One that I could use when reading the forums, or posting. Is there a place on these forums that explains the areas to newbies like me?

What I am trying to figure out is what nearby neighborhoods have stores that I would like. The local HEB was kind of nasty, so I wanted to find a nicer grocery store. I figure if someone could point me to a nice local neighborhood I would find one and other essentials like a Bed Bath and Beyond, nail salon and tanning salon (don't laugh).

Thank you for any help.
I can't really think of any suburban subdivisions in SA that have nicknames, though I'm sure there are some. In your neck of the woods, people usually refer to the subdivision name ("Vista del Norte") and/or the major thoroughfare it's off of (I live off Blanco just south of Bitters).

There's a new HEB at Wurzbach & Military that's pretty close. And you can google for locations of chain retail.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:03 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerose927 View Post
Hi

Thank you for any help.
Turn right on Blanco and head up towards Huebner. Bang a left on Huebner and follow it for roughly two miles....you can googlemap it for specific distances.....at Huebner and 10 there is a ton of shopping, and San Antonio's best ice cream (Brindles), sandwiched between a great bar (The Flying Saucer) and a cool bookstore (Half-Price Books). I would bet money there is a tanning salon and a nail salon somewhere on that corner--I don't live close by so I wouldn't use anything over there, but I do shop and visit.

Jump on 10 West, exit De Zavala, and there is a nice HEB there. The HEB at Wurzbach Pkwy and NW Military is definitely closer, though--it's very nice and really interesting if you're a foodie.

You're probably talking about the HEB at Blanco and West that's "kind of nasty"....and I would agree with you. I used to shop there a few years ago and it was taking a turn for the worse even back then.

We don't have areas like "the Museum district" or "the Tenderloin".....not even a China Town or Little Italy, unfortunately. But if you need a taqueria or a thousand, you're in the right place.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
The HEB Plus at Blanco and 1604 is a larger version of the (Alon) HEB at Wurzbach and NW Military. It's also nicer than the West Avenue store. Someone once said here that the HEB at Blanco and West does the most business per square foot of any HEB store in town. I just know that it's always more crowded than the other two I just mentioned.

There's also a nice Super Target store at Blanco and 1604 that works well for grocery shopping. The shiny new Target store at Blanco and 410 has a few groceries, too. No fresh produce at the latter store, but you can find bread, milk and breakfast cereal there.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:42 PM

475 posts, read 1,094,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Turn right on Blanco and head up towards Huebner. Bang a left on Huebner and follow it for roughly two miles....you can googlemap it for specific distances.....at Huebner and 10 there is a ton of shopping, and San Antonio's best ice cream (Brindles), sandwiched between a great bar (The Flying Saucer) and a cool bookstore (Half-Price Books). I would bet money there is a tanning salon and a nail salon somewhere on that corner--I don't live close by so I wouldn't use anything over there, but I do shop and visit.

Jump on 10 West, exit De Zavala, and there is a nice HEB there. The HEB at Wurzbach Pkwy and NW Military is definitely closer, though--it's very nice and really interesting if you're a foodie.:
Actually, from OP's spot, it is better (and far quicker) to just take Wurzbach to 10 West to Huebner to get to Huebner Oaks -- or right at Lockhill-Selma or Vance Jackson from Wurzbach and left on Huebner. No need to go to Vineyard/Sonterra/Stone Oak unless going to shops/restaurants there.

Also, there are also many shops at and around from 281/Bitters to 281/1604; just avoid the area during the afternoon rush hour.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Six of one, half dozen of the other, as far as I can tell. My route has her making a turn out of her 'hood, a left on Huebner, and bam, she's there, after a few minutes traveling down Huebner. I don't have her going anywhere near Sonterra, The Vineyards, or Stone Oak. *edit...she has to turn on Bitters, then Huebner, but still, nowhere near the mess of Stone Oak

There is really nothing that excites me about 281 and 1604, but suit yourself.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:09 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Vista del Norte is in the area considered to be North Central. That's more of a geographic description for convenience than a local designation. It's also the name of the neighborhood that includes the street. AFAIK, there aren't many threads about Vista del Norte, but I do recall a few mentions of it in other threads.
To kind of add to this, and to Sapphire's "we don't have district type areas," there are some parts of town that are mentioned by name, but not "subdivision." Those include, Tobin Hill, Monte Vista, Olmos Park, Lavaca, King William, etc. These are all older and most of the time historical desiginated neighborhoods.

When San Antonians talk about the city it's mostly in terms of "sides of town." You can find a lot of threads talking about the Northwest, Far West, and North Central sides of town. I'm sure there are maps around the forum to help you define these areas (even though this is a debate for many on what defines it because of the stigma of saying you live on a certain side of town...as in other cities when you say you live in a certain district). So, as your looking for new places, take your neighborhood for example, you would probably look for the North Central (and even Northwest since people are taking you over to the Huebner area).

Since San Antonio has tons of master planned builder made communities, your subdvision kind of defines the area. "Oh you live in Vista Del Norte? I know exactly where that is...is that by X? Great..."

Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
To kind of add to this, and to Sapphire's "we don't have district type areas," there are some parts of town that are mentioned by name, but not "subdivision." Those include, Tobin Hill, Monte Vista, Olmos Park, Lavaca, King William, etc. These are all older and most of the time historical desiginated neighborhoods.
Really? Ask the majority of people who live in this town, that don't post on City-Data, where Lavaca is and you'll get a blank stare. Hell, even many that do post on here have no idea where it is.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Really? Ask the majority of people who live in this town, that don't post on City-Data, where Lavaca is and you'll get a blank stare. Hell, even many that do post on here have no idea where it is.
But if you say these types of names people know the general ambiance of the area, right? Historic, up and coming, first Friday, etc. And it's in between 37 and 35 on the southeast side right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio