Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 02:04 PM

193 posts, read 843,017 times

Advertisements

I am from Kerrville and have lived here all my life. I will say that for the most part what the OP has said is true. You either work for one of the hospitals, or own your own business. There are jobs like teaching, and firefighting as well but it would be hard to ever buy a home or raise a family here on only that income. The hill country has gotten pretty expensive. I think Fair Oaks, Boerne Area is nicer anyways, and closer to the city where there may be more opportunity for the job field your seeking. I saw someone mention Avery's and yeah they might be a great employer to work for if you have a knack for jewelery making and your spouse makes enough to subsidize your income. Its not an employer you would want your sole income coming in from, if your planning on ever owning a home here or as you put it "not living on PB sandwiches". Some people may have gotten lucky and they fell into a position here where they are making good money, not working for any of the above places mentioned, but on average Kerrville is a hard place to land a good paying job in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:24 PM

340 posts, read 645,880 times
As one who is looking for jobs in Kerrville...yeah, there is not much there. If the OP has not done so already, there is a great Texas Workforce Center located in Kerrville on Sidney Baker Hwy. They have many services available to assist you in a job search.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,263 times
I presently live in Houston and that first poster up there, I'd trade places with him in a heartbeat. I'd rather live in a small hill country town trailer house eating peanut butter than live in this stinking city. I was born in Austin, grew up in SA and plan to get back to that area soon, I like the sound of Kerrville. Not picky about work, got lots of office admin experience, HR stuff. All I'd need is enough to pay utilities and buy that peanut butter and I'd be perfectly happy.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:32 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,714,689 times
Another idea is to work in a large city like Houston, DC, etc and make tons of money so you can buy a nice spread in the hill country for your vacation time. Then, you can retire there eventually. The main thing is to lock some property in now as prices will only continue to rise.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:43 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,392,627 times
Default I agree,

It is one a remote, rural area, little or non-existent industrialization equals
low wages and little demand for labor. Typical small Texas town where people
are satisfied with the status quo. Opportunities are few and far between
and are passsed to aqaintances many times.
Commute or move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauidollarbill View Post
Yeah ,pretty much a small Texas town -not too much going on and jobs are scarce. Some are doing ok
but many of my friends have been struggling . If you have some special talent in the medical field you will be ok . Maybe Boerne would be better . Kerrhell not too much happens...

Old 05-21-2010, 07:37 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,049,067 times
Remote?

Try Ft. Stockton. That's remote.

One vote for Kerrville, since the Guadalupe River is prettier there than anywhere else. There's work out there if you find your niche.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:26 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,392,627 times
Default Oh Yea,

Ft. Stockton is really out there. As best as I remember it it is out in the middle of the West Texas desert, I-10 stretching flat away then a row of small
buildings appear as a spec on the horizon and then there it is.
That was back in 1973 but I imagine it has not changed much since then
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Remote?

Try Ft. Stockton. That's remote.

One vote for Kerrville, since the Guadalupe River is prettier there than anywhere else. There's work out there if you find your niche.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:37 AM

40 posts, read 206,807 times
Default find the job

How do you find a job in this town? Is it who you know?

Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,210,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygirl68 View Post
How do you find a job in this town? Is it who you know?
My daughter goes to college there. She didn't know a soul in Kerrville and got a job with an accounting firm within 2 months.

Just like anywhere else apply, apply, apply.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:16 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,714,689 times
congrats to your daughter, Txtrkgrl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio