Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:16 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
Exactly...aren't these the same people who get all in a frenzy every time someone dares to express a critical opinion about San Antonio or -- gawd forbid -- doesn't think the Alamo is the Holy Grail of Texas?

Stone Oak has its quirks just like EVERY other place, but I love it here. Which is saying a lot considering I -- gasp -- really dislike San Antonio and the giant cockroach infested heat wave it rode in on.

The bus situation will work itself out...bottom line, your kids will be attending an excellent school in one of the best districts in the state. Don't let these (jealous??) naysayers make you doubt your decision in moving here. And welcome to the hood.
I am far, FAR from a jealous naysayer.

No matter how excellent the school district is, I, as a parent, would expect that if my children resided in a "capped" school enrollment area and knew from the start that my children would be transported to another school, I would expect that all the "powers" would have used their summer to have solved this problem. If it were necessary to have a week to work out the kinks, the parent would have had some lead-time[weeks versus hours] to make alternative arrangements.

I think these parents have EVERY right to be livid.

BTW, welcome to SA.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:43 AM

74 posts, read 252,373 times
Right now, it is beside the point why we moved to this district. The point here, is that three elementary-aged children are left, 2 days before school starts, with no way to and from school. This is from one of the best school districts in TX?, well that is sad. The first and foremost characteristic of any school district should be the safety and well-being of the student. How it stands right now, my three children cannot attend school on Monday. How does that sit with the great NEISD?

Old 08-22-2009, 05:11 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes View Post
Right now, it is beside the point why we moved to this district. The point here, is that three elementary-aged children are left, 2 days before school starts, with no way to and from school. This is from one of the best school districts in TX?, well that is sad. The first and foremost characteristic of any school district should be the safety and well-being of the student. How it stands right now, my three children cannot attend school on Monday. How does that sit with the great NEISD?
Has ANYONE offered an explanation for this? I would demand a phone call first thing Monday from the principal as to such a snafu, a shrug of the shoulders and waking away is unsatisfactory.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:23 AM

74 posts, read 252,373 times
Their explanation is that they are doing the best they can with the situation. My husband talked to the supervisor Fri. morning and he promised we would get a call back in the afternoon/early evening. Well, guess what? No call. I have emailed the superintendent and assistant SI, but it being the weekend, I'm sure I will not hear anything in time.
Oh, and we were told there COULD be a temp. bus stop for them, but it could be several blocks away! These are elementary aged children... I don't think so!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 AM

487 posts, read 1,118,142 times
Why don't you send me a DM and I will be happy to transport your children to school next week until you can work out a better situation. It's been many years since I took my child to elementary school (she starts her Phd @ A&M next week) but I will be more than happy to help you out. My offer only applies to you, not the whole district!
I will be able to prove to you privately that I am an upstanding, long time, HAPPY, resident of Stone Oak.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:37 AM

554 posts, read 2,307,416 times
The school day starts at 7:45...the school office opens at 7:30. You can't get your child there at 7:30 and still get to work at a reasonable time? Surely your boss would understand this extreme situation...

Old 08-22-2009, 08:44 AM

247 posts, read 844,197 times
Way to go Aggiemom, we have wonderful neighbors in the SO area! I knew someone would step up and make such a kind offer. My daughter attends WO, as I understand it there is early drop off with supervision starting at 7:05, is that a possibility for you GIA? If you don't take Aggiemom up on her offer I would be searching out neighbors that might help you for the first week or so. I have several neighbors for one reason or another that still drive their kids to school even if they can take the bus.

Quote:
Stone Oak has its quirks just like EVERY other place, but I love it here. Which is saying a lot considering I -- gasp -- really dislike San Antonio and the giant cockroach infested heat wave it rode in on.

The bus situation will work itself out...bottom line, your kids will be attending an excellent school in one of the best districts in the state. Don't let these (jealous??) naysayers make you doubt your decision in moving here. And welcome to the hood.
I couldn't agree more. A lot of SO owners moved here from places where the schools weren't that great, test scores were horrible the buildings are falling in around the kids, homes in the SO area would be considered million dollar homes and the traffic was worse!
I love it here too!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:28 AM

418 posts, read 1,240,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdsmom View Post
I couldn't agree more. A lot of SO owners moved here from places where the schools weren't that great, test scores were horrible the buildings are falling in around the kids, homes in the SO area would be considered million dollar homes and the traffic was worse!
I love it here too!
SO is fine. The problem at large is that a Middleton and his transportation staff should have had a plan in place by the end of June. If they didn't do it for something as visible as buses, imagine the lack of planning that occurs for many of the other important items in the budget.

Their lack of planning will soon be used as an excuse for a bond election.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:56 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,378 times
just speculating, but doesn't it sound like the parent was responsible for submitting an application for bus service to NEISD and not doing so is the reason for the delay? I have no doubt she was probably not informed of the exact procedures or that it was hidden (in small print) within the truckload of information you receive at the start of the school year. I'm also learning first-hand how "on your own" parents are in figuring out the school system.

But I seriously doubt this single issue is solely tied to Stone Oak or NEISD. Just like every other facet of life, the school system is something you just have to wade through and figure out by trial and error. No matter where you live.

Let's keep some perspective...allowing students to, say, cook and sell meth in the school locker room is an appropriate reason to be "livid," hollar about the incompetent staff and question whether the district cares about the safety and well-being of its students. Telling a parent it may take up to five days to work out bus service is just another bump in this rocky road called parenthood.

Roll with the punches...rooooll with the punches. If this is your biggest problem, thank your lucky stars.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:08 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,647 times
i find it hard to believe that between 2 jobs/supervisors neither would be willing to work with you or your husband to allow you to drop off/pick up your children --- it's only for 5 days ---

it sounds to me like you have never had to deal with capped schools before ... so maybe there was a misunderstanding and the ball was dropped on both ends ...

also, if there is a temp. bus stop, it will probably be picking the kids up pretty early...i know my daughters elem bus arrives at 630am...i would think this would be plenty of time for you or your husband to take them to a bus stop several blocks away and wait with them before you had to get to work --- school starts at 740am and i know our buses get to school early enough for students to eat breakfast, so i would think the timing would work out in the morning --- as for after school if you don't want the kids walking a couple blocks there is always after school care available that is typically at the school itself but it is not free....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio