Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:44 PM

271 posts, read 987,758 times

Advertisements

First of all, let me state that I am a proud and happy citizen of Stone Oak. Yes, I fully realize that it is FAR from perfect (ie. traffic, crazy development, rezoning issues). However, it is a great place to live and raise a family. The public schools in the area are very good and I hope they continue to be, so as to help with property values.
That being said, I do not have children in the public school system. I can't, for the life of me, understand what all the griping is about bus transportation!!! I can't stand it that parents like the OP feel they are entitled to receive free transport. to school every day funded by tax paying citizens like us that receive no immediate benefit from it. We willingly pay our fair share of taxes to help support and fund public education, however, I strongly believe that bus transportation should be paid by the parents that are benefitting from this service. I am so tired of people like this that complain about not receiving services they feel are due to them! What has happened to personal accountability!?!?!?

Last edited by flourpower; 08-22-2009 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 01:57 PM

475 posts, read 1,093,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
First of all, let me state that I am a proud and happy citizen of Stone Oak. Yes, I fully realize that it is FAR from perfect (ie. traffic, crazy development, rezoning issues). However, it is a great place to live and raise a family. The public schools in the area are very good and I hope they continue to be, so as to help with property values.
That being said, I do not have children in the public school system. I can't, for the life of me, understand what all the griping is about bus transportation!!! I can't stand it that parents like the OP feel they are entitled to receive free transport. to school every day funded by tax paying citizens like us that receive no immediate benefit from it. We willingly pay our fair share of taxes to help support and fund public education, however, I strongly believe that bus transportation should be paid by the parents that are benefitting from this service. I am so tired of people like this that complain about not receiving services they feel are due to them! What has happened to personal accountability!?!?!?
There are two points here:

1) Parents should have to pay for bus transport. Fine, then tell NEISD to drop it for everyone, whether they go to their home school or have to go to an overflow school. I doubt you will get enough people (especially parents) to agree with you. Entitlements are created by politicians (or school administrators) due to constituent demand and are almost impossible to modify, amend or stop once created; witness nationally Social Security, Medicare, etc... So long as the buck can be passed to future generations, it usually is done.

2) If NEISD is providing bus transport in general, then they should be responsible for providing transport to send a student to an overflow school due to their home school being capped. Not lucking out in a school lottery is a NEISD problem; they either chose the wrong school boundary, did a poor job planning for growth, etc. In this case, the student that has to go to an overflow school should have priority in any transportation since they have to go somewhere else.

Of course, if parents have to fill out an submit transportation requests and failed to do so on time, that is another issue.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:47 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes View Post
Their explanation is that they are doing the best they can with the situation. My husband talked to the supervisor Fri. morning and he promised we would get a call back in the afternoon/early evening. Well, guess what? No call. I have emailed the superintendent and assistant SI, but it being the weekend, I'm sure I will not hear anything in time.
Oh, and we were told there COULD be a temp. bus stop for them, but it could be several blocks away! These are elementary aged children... I don't think so!
No call back, how CONVENIENT.

1. Look up on BCAD.org these individuals addresses.

2. Go to WhitePages.com and find their phone numbers and CALL them.

Oversight on the transportation problem by the NEISD is NOT your fault.

Transportation is the responsibility of the school district and since they must have been asleep at the zoning meetings and during the construction of Stone Oak, they now think it is your fault?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:23 PM

74 posts, read 252,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
Why don't you send me a DM and I will be happy to transport your children to school next week until you can work out a better situation. It's been many years since I took my child to elementary school (she starts her Phd @ A&M next week) but I will be more than happy to help you out. My offer only applies to you, not the whole district!
I will be able to prove to you privately that I am an upstanding, long time, HAPPY, resident of Stone Oak.
Thank you very much for your kindness, but we got things worked out. I emailed the superintendent and we have a stop right in front of our house!

As far as flourpower-Moderator cut: off topic Do you know where every cent of your tax dollars are going? And it has nothing to do with "entitlement" but has everything to do with being told that your children will be provided transportation. And if you were an informed tax payer you would know that your tax dollars fund a "system", where do you draw the line at "education", your tax dollars pay for sports and other extracuricular activities and teachers salaries and transportation and many other things. So to say that you can't stand people complain but what are you doing? Are we not all tax payers? Should I complain about my tax dollars funding other schools that my children will never attend? The bottom line is you are closed minded and obviously not seeing what the real underlying issue is here and that is not being ready and not having an organized system in place.

Last edited by Bo; 08-22-2009 at 09:02 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 08:08 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,821,312 times
From one Stone Oak toolbag to another, eh?

Old 08-22-2009, 08:12 PM

271 posts, read 987,758 times
Wow!!! FRONT DOOR SERVICE?!?! You are so right! It has NOTHING to do with entitlement...

Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 PM

624 posts, read 905,873 times
The problem is half of the district still covers undeveloped land and the population boom down here shows little signs of slowing down.

NEISD is nearly built out, Johnson HS could be the last HS to be built for years to come. Northside is only half built out and covers twice the land area NEISD does with I expect several bond elections to come.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:17 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes View Post
Thank you very much for your kindness, but we got things worked out. I emailed the superintendent and we have a stop right in front of our house!

As far as flourpower-Moderator cut: off topic Do you know where every cent of your tax dollars are going? And it has nothing to do with "entitlement" but has everything to do with being told that your children will be provided transportation. And if you were an informed tax payer you would know that your tax dollars fund a "system", where do you draw the line at "education", your tax dollars pay for sports and other extracuricular activities and teachers salaries and transportation and many other things. So to say that you can't stand people complain but what are you doing? Are we not all tax payers? Should I complain about my tax dollars funding other schools that my children will never attend? The bottom line is you are closed minded and obviously not seeing what the real underlying issue is here and that is not being ready and not having an organized system in place.

meeeoooow.....

perhaps we could control Stone Oak's population boom by taking a lesson from the Survivor reality show and voting people off the "island" ?!?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:39 AM

487 posts, read 1,117,560 times
GIACakes . . . I'm glad everything worked out for you and your children. Good luck to all of you in your new school, home, and city. Once the heat breaks, I'm sure you'll love it here!
Isn't there relief coming soon with the capping in the elementary schools? Construction of the school next to Summerglen seems to moving along well and the one off Hardy Oak down from the Mormon Temple is scheduled for 2012.
Isn't that true?

Old 08-25-2009, 06:32 PM

116 posts, read 397,237 times
Talking 281 Superstreet

I'll be livingin the Trinity Oaks area and during my investigational visit in early July the traffic on 281 was a little crazy and I expect that it's worse now that school has started. My MIL told me about the Superstreet construction that is suppose to start in October to help with the traffic on the 281. Anyone think that this will help the flow on 281? It looks like it makes sense and I'm optimistic it will make the 281 not so scary for this HI girl who's not used to having traffic lights on a road with 65 mph speed limits! On Oahu, 65 mph is our freeway speed limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio