Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:38 PM

7 posts, read 28,790 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to relocate to San Antonio by May of this year.

We would very much like to rent a home or apartment at first until we adjust to your beautiful new city. 2-3 bedroom, washer/dryer hookups, small courtyard/patio, etc.

My husband is employed with AT & T and will be at the corporate office downtown San Antonio. I will be seeking employment after arrival. Would love to live close to work able to commute by walking. I'm not sure if this is realistic....

My daughter will be a senior next school year. She is choosing to complete her diploma by being home schooled. She will either commute to a local University thereafter or submit application to out of state schools. Undecided thus far. All options are open.

We are very interested in perhaps living the downtown life, if there is safe and reasonable haven for a family with a teen daughter.

We have one small dog and 5 indoor cats. All housebroken and well behaved.

We are from Indianapolis and our city offers homes/condos/apartments on and around our canal walk. We are hoping to find something similiar in your city.

We are very excited and anticipating a wonderful time in San Antonio! If we are being unrealistic about our desires to live in the city, please feel free to steer us in the right direction!

Thanking you in advance for your suggestions!

Sora
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 05:40 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sora View Post

We would very much like to rent a home or apartment at first until we adjust to the your beautiful new city. 2-3 bedroom, washer/dryer hookups, small courtyard/patio, etc.

My husband is employed with AT & T and will be at the corporate office downtown San Antonio. I will be seeking employment after arrival. Would love to live close to work to commute by walking. I'm not sure if this is realistic....

My daughter will be a senior next school year. She is choosing to complete her diploma by being home schooled. She will either commute to a local University thereafter or submit application to out of state schools. Undecided thus far. All options are open.

We are very interested in perhaps living the downtown life, if there is safe and reasonable haven for a family with a teen daughter.

We are from Indianapolis and our city offers homes/condos/apartments on and around our canal walk. We are hoping to find something similiar in your city.

We are very excited and anticipating a wonderful time in San Antonio! If we are being unrealistic about our desires to live in the city, please feel free to steer us in the right direction!

Sora
Here's a thread with some great links inside...good luck!

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...tion-index-san

Old 01-05-2010, 05:44 PM

Thank you for your link. Yes, I've studied over prior to posting. I was just hoping to get some "personal" insight!

I will continue researching!

Sora

Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Welcome to the San Antonio Thread! I don't know much about schools as my little one is still in diapers but a word of advice in renting a home with pets. I found SA especially the property management company I am with to be extremely expensive with pet deposits. I had to fork out $400 for my one small dog! Just make sure when looking to rent that you find out about the pet deposits.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:52 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Thank you for your link. Yes, I've studied over prior to posting. I was just hoping to get some "personal" insight!

I will continue researching!

Sora
Well, a lot of the links inside contain information that we posted..sorry.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Oh no sorry necessary!! I found the link most helpful and appreciate you posting it again!! I didn't mean anything offensive!

Oh I can imagine the pet deposit will be a big hurt on our pockets....but it has to be done, our fur babies have to come with us!! I do understand the necessity to have deposits has some animals do have the tendancy to misbehave.

Thank you both!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
I would check the areas of King William, Southtown, Monte Vista, Mahncke Park, Tobin Hills, Government Hill. You will find houses that fit your wants. Also if your coming from indianapolis, you will find the city to be very similar. Except the weather, and except this week when it will get cold...like real cold...20 degrees on Saturday. Please keep the cold weather up there, just bring yourselves. the areas I mentioned are close to downtown, some could be walkable to AT&T offices. maybe bike to work. In any case, they are all close in to downtown and a short bus ride to get to work.
If possible, look for a private Landlord to rent, it might be easier to deal with so many animals in a house.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Oh thank you Shane for your suggestions!!

I am originally from Los Angeles and have spent 6 winters in Indy.....I have no intention of bringing the cold weather with us!! We are trying to escape the cold....lol

Oh walking and bicycling to work sounds awesome! Currently we live in a suburb of Indy....so we must drive into the city for our jobs......we just think it'd be an awesome change.

I will study all your mentioned areas. Thank you thank you thank you!

Sora

Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Here's a thread with some great links inside...good luck!

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...tion-index-san
You didn't ask if they spoke Spanish. Don't tell me you're letting your dream die?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:06 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,203 times
Quote:

We would very much like to rent a home or apartment at first until we adjust to your beautiful new city. 2-3 bedroom, washer/dryer hookups, small courtyard/patio, etc.

My husband is employed with AT & T and will be at the corporate office downtown San Antonio. I will be seeking employment after arrival. Would love to live close to work able to commute by walking. I'm not sure if this is realistic....

Sora

First, welcome.

Downtown residential in SA is a tricky business. There aren't many great options in downtown proper, as our robust tourism business means that most downtown real estate is dedicated to that industry. Most residential options are either very expensive or super-sketchy income restricted stuff. Our downtown is a great place to live, but we don't have a great concentration of residents down there now (though that's changing). Google Centro Properties for the best collection of what's available.

You will find that downtown is ringed by great old neighborhoods that are either a short walk or quick commute (including bike or bus) to downtown. These include King William, Lavaca, River Road, Tobin Hill, Monte Vista, Mahncke Park, Alamo Heights, and Olmos Park.

These neighborhoods contain lots of great historic architecture, cultural resources (museums, galleries, parks) and fun stuff (restaurants, cafes, etc.).

Good luck, and feel free to PM me for more specific info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio