Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:41 PM

215 posts, read 985,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellypink View Post
I have moved from Southern Cali to Texas and am moving back asap. I am dead-miserable here in TX. One responder is so right the only thing cheaper here are the homes, but Property tax is so high in Texas that the homes in Cali become more affordable than you even realize. Food, Clothing, and just about everything is Rediculous apples are 189/LB in Texas and only .69Cents / Lb in Cali. I cant take it anymore... Produce even taste better like they said.
Plus the mountain view from every kitchen window is too spectacular to pass up.
I miss Cali so much and cannot wait to move back. The only downside to Cali is it is become over crowded with border crossers. Your children will learn to speak spanish in elementary now.
now you can find the same texas prices of houses in california i just bought a 3000 square ft house in victorville ca for 230k brand new with only 1.17 percent taxes not 3.2 like in texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 AM

242 posts, read 827,580 times
Seriously thanks for setting me straight. Sounds like cali it is!!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:51 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,295,121 times
Interesting reading all of the responses. I lived in Texas years ago ... have no desire to go back either.

Last edited by sheri257; 01-06-2008 at 08:00 AM..

Old 01-06-2008, 10:50 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,104,503 times
I moved to Texas 3 years ago. I am moving back to Southern California ASAP!!!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:01 AM

What part of texas ROMA?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbon7462 View Post
What part of texas ROMA?
The Dallas Fort Worth metroplex. About 30 minutes from Fort Worth.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:39 AM

What didnt you like about it? What part of California are you from?

Old 01-06-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbon7462 View Post
What didnt you like about it? What part of California are you from?
I lived in southern California (Ventura County).

I can tell you are debating if you should move to Texas or not. I don't know your circumstances at all but I would ask you what part of Texas are you interested in and also why? The reason is, are you retired? Are you looking for a cheaper place to raise your family? There are so many reasons people move to other states that I'm curious why you are thinking of Texas?

I wrote on here many, many times why I don't like Texas and why I want to move back to California. One just yesterday, I'll find it and copy and paste it.

For us, we moved out to Texas to retire on a lake with some land. We are young retirees and have animals and used to live oceanfront and wanted our animals to have room and no neighbors. We had a very aggressive Doberman and as you can imagine oceanfront living (even though she loved the beach) was not the right place for her. She wanted to eat the joggers, beach goers and kite fliers and tried daily to do just that!!!!

But things happened very quickly for us as our beach home sold the very first day to the first people who saw it. My husband also was retiring. Our one aggressive dog. We had to figure things out fast. So Texas was it. But I think if we had more time we wouldn't have moved to Texas and we would of found another home in Ca instead. But maybe not. We tried it (even though everyone warned us about Texas) we didn't listen though. Now we know what they meant!!!

The only thing I will miss in Texas is my home/land/view. That's it and it's not even close enough to miss it so much to make us want to stay. I miss California and all it has to offer. That's all Texas had to offer us and that's so small to all of what California offers.

Are you looking at possibly moving to the Palm Springs area?

Last edited by Roma; 01-06-2008 at 02:27 PM..

Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I lived in southern California (Ventura County).

I can tell you are debating if you should move to Texas or not. I don't know your circumstances at all but I would ask you what part of Texas are you interested in and also why? The reason is, are you retired? Are you looking for a cheaper place to raise your family? There are so many reasons people move to other states that I'm curious why you are thinking of Texas?

I wrote on here many, many times why I don't like Texas and why I want to move back to California. One just yesterday, I'll find it and copy and paste it.

For us, we moved out to Texas to retire on a lake with some land. We are young retirees and have animals and used to live oceanfront and wanted our animals to have room and no neighbors. We had a very aggressive Doberman and as you can imagine oceanfront living (even though she loved the beach) was not the right place for her. She wanted to eat the joggers, beach goers and kite fliers and tried daily to do just that!!!!

But things happened very quickly for us as our beach home sold the very first day to the first people who saw it. My husband also was retiring. Our one aggressive dog. We had to figure things out fast. So Texas was it. But I think if we had more time we wouldn't have moved to Texas and we would of found another home in Ca instead. But maybe not. We tried it (even though everyone warned us about Texas) we didn't listen though. Now we know what they meant!!!

The only thing I will miss in Texas is my home/land/view. That's it and it's not even close enough to miss it so much to make us want to stay. I miss California and all it has to offer. That's all Texas had to offer us and that's so small to all of what California offers.

Are you looking at possibly moving to the Palm Springs area?
Yeah, cuz if you're looking to move to the Palm Springs area and you've already lived in Texas, I'm your girl!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:07 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,295,121 times
Well, this is my little anti-Texas rant, for what it's worth. This news story recently reminded me why I'll never go back to Texas.

Texas Science Curriculum Director Canned for Mentioning Evolution | Wired Science from Wired.com

That's what I couldn't stand the most ... the relentless pressure to constantly tow the conservative line at all costs. Not that I'm ultra liberal but, I couldn't stand the constant pressure not to speak out about anything. It was extremely annoying.

Not to mention, I'm an RN and nurses are treated horribly there. California treats its nurses so well .... it's like night and day ... mostly because California has nursing unions. But if you even mentioned the word union in Texas ... OMG ... people went ballistic.

What really drove me nuts was in Texas, they're brainwashed into believing it's better to work for slave wages and take abuse from employers. Business gets everything they want at all costs. They can fire you without cause, they can blacklist you out of the marketplace entirely and nobody does anything to stop it. I just couldn't live in that kind of culture.

Everybody complains about California's housing prices but .... at least the people who originally owned houses in CA made a fortune on them. I'm hoping my house appreciates just as well in the coming years.

IMO Texas is cheap to a fault. How is it that Texas homes didn't appreciate at all ... not even during the boom? Even places like Kansas appreciated more than Texas. There's something wrong there ... probably because nobody makes any money working for those slave wages.

If Texas works for some people great but, give me California ... with all of its flaws ... any day of the week. I will NEVER take California for granted ... ever. I've lived in a lot of places so, I know a good deal when I see one. And I also know the grass isn't greener elsewhere.

Last edited by sheri257; 01-07-2008 at 06:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties