Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:51 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,542,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The Victor Valley mall? That's barely 20 years old.

Never said I lived there my whole life, moved to the HD in 1988 moved out in 2005....experienced a lot there. From dirt roads to pavement, to the housing boom & close to the fall. Lived in Phelan, Pinon Hills, Oak Hills and Hesperia throughout that whole time. From 11 years old to 30.

IE and Victor Valley only share the same county...and now the same population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:33 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,118,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
IE and Victor Valley only share the same county...and now the same population.
The unemployment rate isn't something to really celebrate either.
With all the OC and LA county people deciding to move up here, we really need a Metrolink system to supplement the Cajon Pass.

I've heard that they've tried to get one up here, but it's mainly BSNF and UPRR that swat it down like a fly.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:25 PM

493 posts, read 1,450,160 times
Scheduling the commuter trains to travel on the same tracks as the BNSF and UP freights would be a dispatcher's nightmare. There are something like 100-200 trains up and down Cajon Pass on a daily basis.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
Scheduling the commuter trains to travel on the same tracks as the BNSF and UP freights would be a dispatcher's nightmare. There are something like 100-200 trains up and down Cajon Pass on a daily basis.
There was a commuter bus up here awhile back, but since advertisement and promotion of the service was low(like recruiting for the San Bernardino Sheriff), it was cut in two years.
As far as the Cajon chokehold goes, one would think the third track being added would go a ways in relieving some traffic.

But until we see that being utilized, the car-free up here will either have to get rides or rent cars when venturing down the Pass for any reason.
I actually work up here though, so the only time I go down the hill is when I'm ready to party some other place.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:15 AM

bent, I hear ya! Thank goodness the entire adult time I lived in the HD I worked in the HD. My only long communte was from Hesperia (The Mesa area) to Adelanto - Rancho Rd area. And I never complained, especially every time I crossed over the freeway at Main & 15.

Going down the hill was for Ontario Mills shopping, Claim Jumper dining and visit the relatives along the coast...and Huntington Beach trips

Old 10-09-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
bent, I hear ya! Thank goodness the entire adult time I lived in the HD I worked in the HD. My only long communte was from Hesperia (The Mesa area) to Adelanto - Rancho Rd area. And I never complained, especially every time I crossed over the freeway at Main & 15.

Going down the hill was for Ontario Mills shopping, Claim Jumper dining and visit the relatives along the coast...and Huntington Beach trips
I exclusively use my bicycle up here for transportation and one time I rode from Nisqualli/Hesperia in Victorville, to the western end of SCLA for an entire month.
The cycle-commute distance isn't too horrible, just that there are alot of sketch areas where some drivers just don't seem to care about bicycles.
One particular area I always seem to have alot of problems nowadays is near the college.
It used to be pretty chill getting in and out of there in a car or bicycle, but now you've either got to merge early, or get mauled by the NASCAR paceline clogging up that area between 9AM and 10 PM every day.

I dunno, in addition to alot of the newer residents moving up here, I also still feel like the only commuter cyclist who rides for everyday reasons.
Everyone else I've seen on a bicycle up here is a either a suspended license holder, or those wannabe Lance Armstrong types.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:56 AM

Bicyclist are rare in the HD, for one most drivers are not considerate, for two it's HOT or COLD most of the time, for three everything is mostly a distance away where you need to go so a motorized vehicle is the choice of all. But, hey cycling is great, great for you, and the air quality.
Good for you

By the College heading west on BV going up that small incline everyone is speed racers.....most old VV hoods are sketchy. Someone on D street might take your bike and hawk it for drug money. So stay west of that area. I remember when D St was fully loaded with businesses, then they started closing up one by one, getting pushed out by the big heavy weights of the Victorvalley.

Is the DMV still located in downtown area? Thought for sure over the years of long lines and crappy workers they would over haul that place and move to somewhere with room? I remember I would have to take of days from work to get anything done at the DMV. Heard it's gotten better over the years with the must have appt or take a number routine.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Bicyclist are rare in the HD, for one most drivers are not considerate, for two it's HOT or COLD most of the time, for three everything is mostly a distance away where you need to go so a motorized vehicle is the choice of all. But, hey cycling is great, great for you, and the air quality.
Good for you

By the College heading west on BV going up that small incline everyone is speed racers.....most old VV hoods are sketchy. Someone on D street might take your bike and hawk it for drug money. So stay west of that area. I remember when D St was fully loaded with businesses, then they started closing up one by one, getting pushed out by the big heavy weights of the Victorvalley.

Is the DMV still located in downtown area? Thought for sure over the years of long lines and crappy workers they would over haul that place and move to somewhere with room? I remember I would have to take of days from work to get anything done at the DMV. Heard it's gotten better over the years with the must have appt or take a number routine.
I actually work down there by the high school doing security and my bike stays with me all the time.
Anyone tries to take it, the chain and the wheels will have popped off and the only thing I'll have to worry about is a lawsuit

As far as the DMV goes, it's still located in the same dumpy area and hasn't really changed much.
Same goes for the rest of the "old town" area and pretty much everything West of the Mojave River and East of the 15.
All business and new development seems to be moving out towards all the newer housing tracts located in west Victorville and Apple Valley.
Instead of quaint little shops and mom/pop restaurants, we're being treated to the same, manufactured slop that's normally seen in suburban areas of OC and the IE itself.

There's also the lack of visible museums for this area.
The Rt.66 museum closed not too long ago and the Victor Valley Museum is in danger of the same.
Ironically, the only way to save historical places like these would be to move them to the big-box shopping centers that are popping up like hotcakes.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 AM

I remember the Will Rogers museums for years called VV home...then the living family members sold it to Missouri and moved it away now there is a lovely merri-go-round of an intersection where it use to be by the court house.

Sad, sad days for the HD. I love progress, but the Victorvalley looked for progress with greed instead of whats is best for the people that poured their lives into their homes to now be ran out of the HD.

The HD has opportunities for many people, just not something I wanted to be a part of. So my days of living in the HD are long gone.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I remember the Will Rogers museums for years called VV home...then the living family members sold it to Missouri and moved it away now there is a lovely merri-go-round of an intersection where it use to be by the court house.

Sad, sad days for the HD. I love progress, but the Victorvalley looked for progress with greed instead of whats is best for the people that poured their lives into their homes to now be ran out of the HD.

The HD has opportunities for many people, just not something I wanted to be a part of. So my days of living in the HD are long gone.
Victorville seems to be the main culprit up here when it comes to the "too big, too fast" scheme.
Lots of car-dealerships, and many of them out of business.
A couple of over-the-top, city-owned power projects that never saw any use due to businesses getting more reliable service from private utilities.

Yeah, the rural quality is holding on tight in Apple Valley, Hesperia and Oak Hills. But, if they slip and let the newcomers overrule their way of life, we might as well just call the Victor Valley "OC-North".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties