Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:17 AM

3 posts, read 4,197 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Yes, yet another moving question Seems like I have read them all but just wanted to get opinions on my specific questions too. Hope thats ok.

We have a possible tranfer happening within the next month. I will know more by the end of next week. I have lived in Georgia for 34 yrs. now and never anywhere else. Married with 2 kids almost in Middle School. 4th and 5th grade currently. So I have done extensive research and reading posts on hear. This is what I have currently found & PLEASE currect me if i'm wrong:

Carmel Mtn. Ranch, Poway, Point Loma, Chula Vista, La Mesa. All good places to live with kids and good schools.

I perfer to live in the suburbs because that is what I am use to and with kids they need room to run. We have 2 little dogs as well, so pet friendly is a plus!

My husband will be driving all over San Diego for his job (not just to the same office everyday) so not sure about the highways their as well. Here are my questions.....

Best families communities?
Best schools is a must ?
Pet friendly?
Charming suburb community but still close to activities & shopping?
Info. on the highway system (best and worst roads)?

All this and I would like to stay between $2,000-$3,000/month rent

I know this is a lot but I know NOTHING about this area and am a bit nervous about this move with kids to think about it is harder. Thanks so much in advance!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 04:45 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Carmel Mtn. Ranch, Poway, Point Loma, Chula Vista, La Mesa. All good places to live with kids and good schools.
all these places are very different from one another, Carmel Valley & Poway are more upscale, Pt Loma is old but has some nice homes (airport noise though) Chula Vista (older homes, large Hispanic population) La Mesa is an older town. I mean, these are generalizing of course. SD is a huge county with many different types of towns and neighborhoods...it could take you a long time to find the right one so renting for awhile is strongly suggested.

I perfer to live in the suburbs because that is what I am use to and with kids they need room to run. We have 2 little dogs as well, so pet friendly is a plus! Yards here tend to be quite small so don't be shocked if there's not alot of room to run for your kids and pets.

My husband will be driving all over San Diego for his job (not just to the same office everyday) so not sure about the highways their as well. Here are my questions.....

Best families communities? All communities here have families.
Best schools is a must ? North County (biased answer)
Pet friendly? varies widely
Charming suburb community but still close to activities & shopping? I'm not sure about "charming" but there are activities and shopping everywhere.
Info. on the highway system (best and worst roads)? Basically, the 5, 805, 15, 163 run north and south and the 8, 76 and 56 run west to east. Those are the major freeways.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:46 PM

63 posts, read 173,131 times
I would recommend Poway for you. Generally speaking, there is more space up there and the schools are really good. Poway is sort of far north though, on the 15 freeway. It could be useful if your husband needs to drive around the northern part of the county but if he will mainly be in the south it might not be the best option for you.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 PM

On second thought, you might want to consider Scripps Ranch or Rancho Penasquitos. Both are great for families and are a bit more centrally located than Poway. They also have good schools.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:31 AM

Thanks you guys so much for your help!! How far do you think the drive will be from Poway to SanDiego on the 15? Is this road bad with traffic? I have heard the 5 is bad traffic.

Also what about Sabre Springs? It is sorta inbetween Scripps Ranch and Rancho Pen. Maybe that whole area is good to look in surrounding Poway? A better question may be where do we definately NOT look, lol! Seems like there are more nice places than bad

Thanks again for your help!

Old 10-15-2010, 09:11 AM

74 posts, read 177,074 times
We moved to SD this summer. Like you, schools were important. We almost rented in Point Loma, but personally, I did not feel the "family friendly vibe" there. Too much traffic and not enough parks/soccer fields. We ended up moving to Encinitas, which is north of San Diego - up the I5. I am so glad we did! Encinitas is very family friendly, beautiful parks, with beautiful beaches close by, good schools and nice people, and the most amazing YMCA I have ever seen (Ecke)! It also has a laid-back feel to it, which reminds me of my home, Austin, TX.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:44 AM

426 posts, read 791,823 times
You may want to look into the Carlsbad area to. It's pretty nice up there and a decent school district area. The closer to you get to San Diego it's more of the college age, young couples starting out. I'm not saying there are not families that live in these areas, but I spend some of my weekends up in North County and I definitely see more families out with strollers walking the neighborhoods.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 16,909 times
If you are looking to live in a suburban area with good schools you should look in the Poway, Carlsbad or Del Mar/Solana Beach school districts. Consider also San Marcos.
Sabre Spring, Poway and Rancho Penasquitos are all great options. And, while Carmel Valley/Del Mar have some of the best schools you won't get much for your dollar there.
You will love San Diego and I wish you the best in you relocation. If you have other questions feel free to contact me!
MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-16-2010 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 10-15-2010, 04:43 PM

Coastal north county communities (Encinitas/Carlsbad/DelMar) are located off the 5 freeway. The commute can be pretty bad depending which way you are going and what time. Scripps Ranch/Poway/RP are located on the 15 freeway. The 15 can also be bad but I think it is less bad. (I could be wrong!) I know the 15 is bad going south in the morning and north at night. The 5 is bad a lot of the time, especially during the summer when the Del Mar fair and the horse races are going on. You didn't mention where your husband will be commuting to, so it is hard to say what will be the most convenient commute for him.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 PM

You guys rock! Love this place

Thanks for all of the great info. It really helps!!

My husband will be driving all around San Diego. If we lived north he would have most of his stores in San Diego. So he will have to take the 5 or 15 south. He is very much use to traffic because we live in Atlanta and he commutes through this area all week. I can't imagine it to be any worse but I guess it could.

Is there anything just east of SD (inland) that is nice? That may be better for the commute

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego