Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:28 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,188,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellpuma View Post
you know what cracks me up w/ san diegans? "it's you who's the problem" "ew, leave, we don't want you here if you dont like it, we're better off without you" SWEETIE IT WAS SDSU that had the bloody compton cook-out, you know, that school you go to? and oh, let's recall the byu basketball games in which you made a mockery of mormons hopping around in a bunch of bicycle helmets and ties and white button up shirts. san diego has one culture, and it's VERY obvious who is considered in the "cool" crowd. anyone who's "different"? forget it. don't forget the head of the KKK resides in fallbrook lest we forget. take off the rose colored glasses aka gucci shades your mommy and daddy paid for, and clear your vision.
ridiculous. You obviously know nothing about San diego (as well as gentoo too) your comments are off base. I will post the statictics of races on this site to show you that there is a lot of culture to be found here. I am Mexican and white and have had NO problems and I was born and raised here. The "cool" crowd is whoever has a "cool" attitude like everywhere else in the World. (jocks, cheerleaders etc) Race isn't a factor in being "cool". It's how you present yourself. San Diego is a unique place with it's own character and a lot of people like that hence why it's rated number 2 for where people desire to live!

anyways it was UCSD not SDSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I've never repped anyone with just two post before

You are a hypocrite. You even admitted that SD is changing and diversifying and we showed that even Fallbrook is. You are an angry old man with nothing better to do then complain. Then bi*ch when people don't like your precious little San Franny. What turns me off about San Franny is the people! They claim to be open minded yet shun anyone who isn't liberal like them. San Diego is much more open minded then that dirty, overcrowded hippy communist utopia.

anyways I think people who move to San Diego and then complain about it are idiots. They should have done the research before moving here. I have no sympathy for them.

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 01-01-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 04:36 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,188,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnsd View Post
I don't intend to start a flaming war with you--but with all due respect & I do mean that--your comments are off base, if not downright preposterous. It's clear that you aren't a San Diego resident. I'm sorry you had some sort of bad experience but that certainly doesn't justify your generalization.

Your tacit allegation that our community is racist says more about you than San Diego. I'm a Latino who moved here six years ago. Not only have I never experienced racism, but was immediately welcomed by friends and co-workers alike. What you fail to understand is that to be considered part of the "cool" crowd, you must be "cool" yourself.

And while I agree that San Diego isn't quite the Global City that Los Angeles & San Francisco are, what makes this town special are the San Diegans themselves. What makes this town unique is that it possesses its own culture. The sunny days are endless, the surrounding scenery is beautiful, and leisure activities abound.

This combination of elements is more apparent to people who visit and it's why they aspire to live here. Good luck to you schnellpuma, sounds to me like you need to chill and just have a cold beer. FYI, Men's Journal declared San Diego the "Beer Capital of the US" in case you were wondering.

AJ

Thank you! Him and gentoo really get on my last nerves.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:45 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,433,199 times
The first attempt failed but eventually success is a given

Old 01-01-2011, 04:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,173,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Cost of living is a big obstacle for many in San Diego. It's expensive to live here, it's very expensive if you want to buy a house. If you can't afford to live well here, then it's not fun. Most people who struggle financially probably here could live rather comfortably in 90% of the rest of the nation.
Also, not everyone is into the beach. For those of us who surf, run, bike, etc., it's a dream location. But if that's not your thing, SD loses a lot of its luster. It'd be like me moving to Vail. Great skiing, but I hate skiing.
Having briefly scanned the replies, I think several of the other posters have mentioned that really when it comes to cost of living, it is mainly housing and if you factor out housing, that the cost of living is not that much different than cities anywhere else in the US.

Despite the fact that I LOVE the beach, I would not live in a "big city" anywhere. I am not certain how far you have to travel to get to rural areas but I expect it would be a goodly distance, and even then, housing prices may not be affordable.

It would be amazing to be able to have such a long growing season, free of freezing weather where you could grow avocados, date and coconut palms, citrus and all the wonderful things that you can't grow in other places.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-01-2011, 06:10 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,997,061 times
The original post is just too easy.

Out of everything I can think about in response to your post there is 1 thing that keeps people from moving here: Can you save up $100k for a down payment on a modest home? If not, do you have people you can borrow $100k from? If not, you're going to be paying $1500-$2000 a month in rent to live in a nice place, unless you live with roommates. The though of paying $2k a month for rent sickens a lot of people as does the though of having to win the lottery to afford a down payment.

That's not to mention the place you just sold your soul to purchase is going to be small. You'll feel like a sardine. When your neighbors are BBQing you'll smell it. When you go to the bathroom, they'll probably hear it. If you like being in a cubicle, you'll love living in SD, cuz that's how it feels.

That is why everyone doesn't move here.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:59 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,861,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellpuma View Post
you know what cracks me up w/ san diegans? "it's you who's the problem" "ew, leave, we don't want you here if you dont like it, we're better off without you" SWEETIE IT WAS SDSU that had the bloody compton cook-out, you know, that school you go to? and oh, let's recall the byu basketball games in which you made a mockery of mormons hopping around in a bunch of bicycle helmets and ties and white button up shirts. san diego has one culture, and it's VERY obvious who is considered in the "cool" crowd. anyone who's "different"? forget it. don't forget the head of the KKK resides in fallbrook lest we forget. take off the rose colored glasses aka gucci shades your mommy and daddy paid for, and clear your vision.
Others have already pointed out some of the other glaring factual inaccuracies in your post (UCSD, not SDSU) but you can't say the "head of the KKK resides in Fallbrook" either. I assume you are referring to Tom Metzger, the former leader of the White Aryian Resistance (not the KKK) who hasn't lived in Fallbrook for a decade or longer. He went to prison and now lives in Illinois, I believe.
You're obviously very bitter about SD, but to base that bitterness on lies and mischaracterizations says more about you than you are saying about SD.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:48 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,243,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Out here you may need to rent, get rooommates and drive a used car. I'd rather do that than freeze my #@$ off this time of year.
which is exactly what i am doing here in the north east. freezing and paying out the @ss for my heat bill.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,243,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
That's not to mention the place you just sold your soul to purchase is going to be small. You'll feel like a sardine. When your neighbors are BBQing you'll smell it. When you go to the bathroom, they'll probably hear it. If you like being in a cubicle, you'll love living in SD, cuz that's how it feels.

That is why everyone doesn't move here.
you must be retarded. how can you possible make a statement like that and not be embarrassed of what a fool you sound like?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:45 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,833,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
which is exactly what i am doing here in the north east. freezing and paying out the @ss for my heat bill.
For those of us moving from places like New York, DC, or Hawaii, housing cost is not going to be a shock. San Diego's COL and housing pales in comparison, believe me!!
The weather is perfect from where I currently sit, but I'm over 2000 miles from the next nearest population point. I'm ready to move back to the mainland - 163 days and counting

Old 01-02-2011, 11:36 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,997,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
you must be retarded. how can you possible make a statement like that and not be embarrassed of what a fool you sound like?
How can you tell me people in San Diego are not packed together like sardines? Where else have you lived? I speak from experience, little kitty.

Oh..wait, I see you live in the north east? So you seem to know the density of San Diego better than a resident. Makes sense.

And from your other posts I realize you are an "angry person" who has "miserable days". Cheer up pal, we're all friends here.

Last edited by djxpress; 01-02-2011 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego