Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,788 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am moving in the next few months. I currently live in Ohio and will be moving either to San Diego or Charlottesville, Virginia. I would love to hear some input about why I should pick one over the other. What are your favorite and least favorite things about San Diego? Would love to hear both the good and the bad.

A little about me to help out: I am mid-twenties and single. Wherever I move, I'll be guaranteed work there for 4 - 5 years and making about $50,000. I know SD cost of living is high -- can I survive and have a good time on that pay? Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it, because I have to make a decision very soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 PM

57 posts, read 95,906 times
If I were you I would move to SD! Great place for some someone your age. The weather is great all-year round plus if you are the outdoors type, there's lots to do. When I visit my relatives out there it's always a great time. The only negative to me is that you really need a car to get around there cause the public transportation is horrible. Wouldn't be surprised if others who post on this thread that live in sd would agree with me

Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times
I am an SD native and I don't think it's horrible but I do think it needs improvement and it is improving. Over the next 30 years 4-5 new light rail lines as well as more bus routes are going to be added.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,483,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacillus View Post
Hi everyone, I am moving in the next few months. I currently live in Ohio and will be moving either to San Diego or Charlottesville, Virginia. I would love to hear some input about why I should pick one over the other. What are your favorite and least favorite things about San Diego? Would love to hear both the good and the bad.

A little about me to help out: I am mid-twenties and single. Wherever I move, I'll be guaranteed work there for 4 - 5 years and making about $50,000. I know SD cost of living is high -- can I survive and have a good time on that pay? Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it, because I have to make a decision very soon.
Sounds good, the 50K is perfect and you will be able to afford to live here on that. I love the weather and the sunsets here in San Diego. I do not like the CA Drivers, but that is really my only complaint.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
I'd definitely say SD...Charlottesville is a relatively small college town and pretty far from DC so there would be more going on here at your age.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:

Have you ever visited either place before? Or even been down towards the South or over the Rockies?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,788 times
Yeah, I've traveled pretty extensively across the country. I spent several weeks in San Diego a while back, and I've been all over Virginia (I have some family there). I have a general feel for both places, but not for day-to-day life. I know that I loved visiting San Diego, but living there could be a totally different story.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:07 AM

13 posts, read 20,167 times
I'm 24 and live about an hour away from Charlottesville, VA. Very pretty area - but fairly small and boring as well as all of the seasons in their extremes (cold!!). If it were me, SD would be my choice.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've traveled pretty extensively across the country. I spent several weeks in San Diego a while back, and I've been all over Virginia (I have some family there). I have a general feel for both places, but not for day-to-day life. I know that I loved visiting San Diego, but living there could be a totally different story.
I really couldnt make a direct comparison as I have never been to Charlottesville and have only been closer to the eastern portion like McLean and Tysons Corner. To me while nice, they were textbook suburbia: shopping malls, homes, schools. These are everywhere including here.

50k should be fine and sounds like a decent start to have in SD.

There is a lot to do here in SD with the focus of "a lot" being outdoorsy stuff. Canyon hiking out east to various beach activities...but year round more or less.

I noticed the general consensus of more outspoken folks is that people REALLY want to live here. Whether that means aspiring or currently. I dont know if Charlottesville fits that description.

I know that I do really love it and while its not the end all be all for me, its sure one of my favorite places so far that I have lived. In other words, I dont have an itch to get out anytime soon.
If there was one thing I didnt like out here, its that the darned water is FREEZING!
The people here? I think people generally are the same about everywhere once you get past the pleasantries. I do notice that folks here are more obliged to exchange a hello and a smile if walking by. At least more so than much busier cities, but this again is not specific to SD, just something I noticed and hope it stays that way around here.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM
jmc

101 posts, read 863,018 times
I've lived in both places, actually. Would DEFINITELY choose San Diego over Charlottesville. Not that Charlottesville is bad, but I really love SD. Just my two cents worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego