Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 11,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjawalt View Post
Admittedly, guys need to practice these conversation and social skills to get over approach anxieties, which ironically communicates confidence that sparks a woman's attraction and interest. There are many single, decent, and financially stable guys out there that are driven and focused on their careers at the expenses of their social and relationship skills. These guys are marriage material but don't know how to crack the code on meeting women like bad boys, surfer dudes, rock stars, and pick up artists.
Well said cjawalt! A lot of guys are in this boat!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,626 times
I think the title of your post could be worded better so it doesn't come across wrong like some here are claiming "golddigger". I'm NOT one of those saying you're a goldigger but it reminded me of a post I saw on Craigslist many years ago. I'm posting it below just for entertainment value.

I agree with Shmoov to spend the money and do what he suggested if things are that bad.

Here is what the girl on Craigslist wrote below along with a response:

What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I’m tired of beating around the bush. I’m a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25-year-old girl. I’m articulate and classy. I’m not from New York. I’m looking to get married to a guy who makes at least a half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don’t think I’m overreaching at all.

Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a businessman who makes average around 200 – 250K. But that’s where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000K won’t get me to Central Park West. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she’s not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level?

Here are my questions specifically:

- Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars, restaurants, gyms.
- What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won’t hurt my feelings.
- Is there an age range I should be targeting (I’m 25)?

- Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the Upper East Side so plain? I’ve seen really “plain Jane” boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I’ve seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the East Village. What’s the story there?

- Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows — lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out?

- How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY.

Please hold your insults — I’m putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I’m being up front about it. I wouldn’t be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn’t able to match them — in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.

The response she got was as follows:

Dear Pers-431649184:

I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament. Firstly, I’m not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said, here’s how I see it:

Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal.

Here’s why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party, and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here’s the rub — your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity … in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won’t be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms, you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain: you’re 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35, stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold … hence the rub … marriage. It doesn’t make good business sense to “buy you” (which is what you’re asking) so I’d rather lease. In case you think I’m being cruel, I would say the following: if my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It’s as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.

Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as “articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful” as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe, if you are as gorgeous as you say you are, that the $500K hasn’t found you, if not only for a tryout. By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn’t need to have this difficult conversation.

With all that said, I must say you’re going about it the right way. Classic “pump and dump.” I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,271,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I think the title of your post could be worded better so it doesn't come across wrong like some here are claiming "golddigger". I'm NOT one of those saying you're a goldigger but it reminded me of a post I saw on Craigslist many years ago. I'm posting it below just for entertainment value.

I agree with Shmoov to spend the money and do what he suggested if things are that bad.

Here is what the girl on Craigslist wrote below along with a response:

What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I’m tired of beating around the bush. I’m a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25-year-old girl. I’m articulate and classy. I’m not from New York. I’m looking to get married to a guy who makes at least a half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don’t think I’m overreaching at all.

Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a businessman who makes average around 200 – 250K. But that’s where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000K won’t get me to Central Park West. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she’s not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level?

Here are my questions specifically:

- Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars, restaurants, gyms.
- What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won’t hurt my feelings.
- Is there an age range I should be targeting (I’m 25)?

- Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the Upper East Side so plain? I’ve seen really “plain Jane” boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I’ve seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the East Village. What’s the story there?

- Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows — lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out?

- How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY.

Please hold your insults — I’m putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I’m being up front about it. I wouldn’t be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn’t able to match them — in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.

The response she got was as follows:

Dear Pers-431649184:

I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament. Firstly, I’m not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said, here’s how I see it:

Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal.

Here’s why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party, and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here’s the rub — your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity … in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won’t be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms, you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain: you’re 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35, stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold … hence the rub … marriage. It doesn’t make good business sense to “buy you” (which is what you’re asking) so I’d rather lease. In case you think I’m being cruel, I would say the following: if my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It’s as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.

Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as “articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful” as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe, if you are as gorgeous as you say you are, that the $500K hasn’t found you, if not only for a tryout. By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn’t need to have this difficult conversation.

With all that said, I must say you’re going about it the right way. Classic “pump and dump.” I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.
OMG, I definitely remember this post! It was emailed to me, but was several years ago from what I remember and I was just in hysterics.
If I recall it was from the NYC craigslist personals.

Good call earlyretirement!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
OMG, I definitely remember this post! It was emailed to me, but was several years ago from what I remember and I was just in hysterics.
If I recall it was from the NYC craigslist personals.

Good call earlyretirement!

Yes, it was MANY years ago and you're memory is good Shmoov. It was a NYC craigslist personals post.

Also, I'm in no way, shape or form suggesting that the OP was in any way being like this girl in the Craigslist personal. I just thought it would be good for a few laughs but I didn't want her or others to suggest that I thought she was a gold digger.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:14 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times
Ease up guys. She could be a golddigger or she could just be a woman who doesn't want to have to pay for a moochy guy who can't hold down a job.

When I was single I was *definitely* looking for a woman who earned her own bucks. She isn't saying anything different.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Ease up guys. She could be a golddigger or she could just be a woman who doesn't want to have to pay for a moochy guy who can't hold down a job.

When I was single I was *definitely* looking for a woman who earned her own bucks. She isn't saying anything different.
Hey Larry. I was only joking. Actually if I was a female in San Diego I'd also look for someone that had stability in their lives which meant a good job and good career. After all, many females are thinking about someday having kids....and in San Diego it can be really rough unless you find someone stable. So I don't blame her at all.

I have a ton of female friends and they all are pretty much looking for the same thing. The guy doesn't have to be Donald Trump....but he does have to be someone that is a good person but also stable financial situation so he can support a family and kids. I think that is normal.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM

135 posts, read 296,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Well, generally speaking, San Diego is a serviceman town (Navy). Not to mention a town with young, immature college boys. Both of these categories will only provide you with men who are probably broke more often than not. If you are looking for professionals, I'd recommend hanging out in the "wealthier" areas of San Diego on weekend mornings (coffee, bagel), jogging at the beaches, and going to the better happy hour spots. Do your coworkers go out for happy hour?

Another problem is that unlike LA or San Francisco, a lot of San Diego well-off folks are married. I could be wrong, but I don't think San Diego is a destination folks flock to in hopes of "finding" their soulmate...if you get my drift. But keep looking, he's out there!
I really agree that this is an acurate depiction of the men. SD seems like a nice family city to me. If you sift out the married population, however, I had a really difficult tme finding cultured, interesting, intellectual, mature single people who enjoy the symphony or more "grown-up" activities. I'm in my 30's but was in my late 20's when i lived there. Perhaps it's changed. I didn't care how much money the man made, so long as he had an income of some sort and an education. I found it odd that a city of its size had such a small post-collegiate singles population. Men in their 30's getting drunk in PB, surfing all day, acting like college boys, did not register on my radar as eligible single men.

It was too bad as it seemed safe, pretty, and easy to get around in. I wish the singles scene for post-college folk was better.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,369 times
I guess I must be that one man in the 1.3 million people in San Diego who is single and not into getting absolutely ripped and throwing up all over the Gaslamp, even though it's within stumbling distance of my apartment.

Get real, people. Get real.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:34 PM

178 posts, read 376,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerdancer View Post
I really agree that this is an acurate depiction of the men. SD seems like a nice family city to me. If you sift out the married population, however, I had a really difficult tme finding cultured, interesting, intellectual, mature single people who enjoy the symphony or more "grown-up" activities. I'm in my 30's but was in my late 20's when i lived there. Perhaps it's changed. I didn't care how much money the man made, so long as he had an income of some sort and an education. I found it odd that a city of its size had such a small post-collegiate singles population. Men in their 30's getting drunk in PB, surfing all day, acting like college boys, did not register on my radar as eligible single men.

It was too bad as it seemed safe, pretty, and easy to get around in. I wish the singles scene for post-college folk was better.
Really, no "Sex and the City" action in SD? Where do >30s women hang out so that I can observe them in their natural habitat?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignutz View Post
Really, no "Sex and the City" action in SD? Where do >30s women hang out so that I can observe them in their natural habitat?
You don't want to. The women who think they're just like the characters in Sex and the City are the ones you want to hit with a two by four to smack some sense into.

But then you realize you'd just break the two by four and they'd still be just as clueless, so you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego