Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I guess I must be that one man in the 1.3 million people in San Diego who is single and not into getting absolutely ripped and throwing up all over the Gaslamp, even though it's within stumbling distance of my apartment.

Get real, people. Get real.
haha! love stereo types. Personally, I am glad I am not single because all the neighborhoods I like do skew toward gay men, stoners, or both. Thankfully my spouse is neither but enjoys the city hoods as much as I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 PM

135 posts, read 296,646 times
Quote:
I guess I must be that one man in the 1.3 million people in San Diego who is single and not into getting absolutely ripped and throwing up all over the Gaslamp, even though it's within stumbling distance of my apartment.

Get real, people. Get real.

I am quite real, thanks. I didn't say they were throwing up in the gaslamp, I said generally is it more of a college or family town, agree with the other poster. The older men (late twenties +) IN GENERAL were not interested in more sophisticated, intellectual endeavors. It seemed to me that the culture revolved around watching sports and drinking beer, surfing, and partying - much like it does in college. In LA, for example, it was very common to go to plays or to watch the LA Phil rehearse as a date. I didn't find people in SD as interested in doing adult activities unless they were married with kids or much older. That was my general observation. I never once said it included EVERY SINGLE MAN IN THE CITY, nor that they were all in rehab. So you get real.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,863 times
^ yikes you sound angry , hey we've all been there, but that can't help matters....just sayin

Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
^ yikes you sound angry , hey we've all been there, but that can't help matters....just sayin

what about my observations sound "angry"? I was responding to the guy who told me to "get real" because I cited my observations in agreement with another poster.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 PM

178 posts, read 376,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerdancer View Post
what about my observations sound "angry"? I was responding to the guy who told me to "get real" because I cited my observations in agreement with another poster.
No, you don't sound angry, don't take the bait. However, I would say you expectations for guys 30-40s are unrealistic, or at least don't apply for the majority. Even for most guys who are college educated and career stable, knowing the difference between Bach and Beethovan takes time to study. In fact, there are too many entertainment sources that offer instant gratification that tend to take priority when you are a single guy of leisure. Sports, drinking, and good times are still a high priority but in moderation since you still got the job in the a.m.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:15 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,976,265 times
Whatever floats your boat. Going to a play or seeing the NSO rehearse was not a typical date even in a supposedly "sophisticated" city like DC. When I lived there, I used to go to Wolf Trap or the Kennedy Center a couple of times a year. But in all the years I lived there, I never, ever, ever took a date there.

And I had friends who were in the Washington Ballet.

I guess I'm just not "cultured" enough for some people. So be it.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignutz View Post
No, you don't sound angry, don't take the bait. However, I would say you expectations for guys 30-40s are unrealistic, or at least don't apply for the majority. Even for most guys who are college educated and career stable, knowing the difference between Bach and Beethovan takes time to study. In fact, there are too many entertainment sources that offer instant gratification that tend to take priority when you are a single guy of leisure. Sports, drinking, and good times are still a high priority but in moderation since you still got the job in the a.m.
I don't think my expectations are unrealistic in the global sense but they are unrealistic in SD, and that was my point. In NYC, Boston, SF, Chicago, Seattle, LA men do actually enjoy things other than getting drunk while watching sports, and surfing all day. I'm not saying they don't do these things at all, but in SD, in my experience, this seemed to be all of what they did (outside of work). To be fair, many women did too. "Tailgating" was common pastime for women in their 30's, and of course the men too. It is a beach and sports town so that is largely the culture. Museums and symphonies were not as popular as they are in more cosmopolitan cities. In think even in Denver this is more popular. Because of this culture of the city, I think it is more appealing for a younger clientele. I do not think it is unrealistic at all for men in their 30's and 40's to be interested in more mature, refined or sophisticated endeavors than those of a frat boy. My BF's always were. It isn't unrealistic around the world or across the country.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Whatever floats your boat. Going to a play or seeing the NSO rehearse was not a typical date even in a supposedly "sophisticated" city like DC. When I lived there, I used to go to Wolf Trap or the Kennedy Center a couple of times a year. But in all the years I lived there, I never, ever, ever took a date there.

And I had friends who were in the Washington Ballet.

I guess I'm just not "cultured" enough for some people. So be it.
Good to know about DC. Thanks for the info.

I actually do know men who enjoy the ballet, but I think most men might find it more feminine. Classical music has nothing to do with femininity, in fact most composers were men. Same thing with museums, I see them as neither masculine nor feminine.

So evidently, since I agreed with that guy, all the posters seem to refute my agreement that the single late 30-40 something more cosmopolitan folk are in greater numbers in other major cities? My initial point is that SD is more of a college and family town, and others said the same thing in posts before me.

Last edited by gingerdancer; 04-06-2012 at 12:30 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,976,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerdancer View Post
My initial point is that SD is more of a college and family town, and others said the same thing in posts before me.
And your point is completely and totally wrong. You're extrapolating a few data points into a very diverse city of 1.3 million people.

As is typical of women who think that Sex and the City is reality, you have to take a dig at my masculinity as well.

But that's okay. Go on, and be bitter that ohmigawd, not every man you date thinks it's wonderful to see a REHEARSAL of a symphony.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
And your point is completely and totally wrong. You're extrapolating a few data points into a very diverse city of 1.3 million people.

As is typical of women who think that Sex and the City is reality, you have to take a dig at my masculinity as well.

But that's okay. Go on, and be bitter that ohmigawd, not every man you date thinks it's wonderful to see a REHEARSAL of a symphony.
Excuse me, I don't even watch that show! How am I thinking S and the C is reality in any of my posts? I don't even mention that show, nor do I like it.

I'm not extrapolating a few "data points." I'm citing my observations after living there 4 years. I thought that was the ENTIRE point of these boards. Sorry for posting on this thread and sharing my experience.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to pick on me personally, when many people before me and on other threads said this very same thing. All I did was chime in with agreement and all Hell breaks loose on here. Go take out your anger towards women elsewhere.

I'm not sure who "took a dig" at your masculinity but it wasn't me. I don't even know what you are rambling about.

Thanks to the few people on here who engaged in sane, rational, respectful dialogue.

Last edited by gingerdancer; 04-06-2012 at 12:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego