Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:40 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,136,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
Funkymonk and Nick. You both sound really miserable in San Diego. I really want to hear how you like living in the PNW once you relocate (maybe 6 months to a year after). I've thought of moving there myself from time to time just to be near extended family but my husband is dead set against it.
I lived in Eureka CA for a year and a half and then Portland OR for 8 months. I loved almost everything about it. Friendly, spiritual, intellectually stimulating people. A sense of really community. Freindly smiles instead of mean frowns. Environmentally aware people. Amazing nature. Laws and regulations that allow for much, much more freedom in almost every way. Outdoorsy people. Cheaper living. A much higher level of common decency and compassion for other people. Humble people who don't care about cars and clothes......

The bad things. The cloudy weather got me down sometimes, especially towards the end of winter. Sometimes I really, really needed to get into some sunshine for a while so I would vacation in warmer climates or used a tanning bed which helped a lot.

Actually that is the only really bad thing that comes to my mind. Some people say it's "boring" up there but i've never found that to be true myself. Also the economy is known to be bad in many areas, but I always managed to get a good job.

After some overseas adventure and money-making, i'm going back up there almost for sure.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:03 PM

202 posts, read 873,252 times
Default Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I lived in Eureka CA for a year and a half and then Portland OR for 8 months. I loved almost everything about it. Friendly, spiritual, intellectually stimulating people. A sense of really community. Freindly smiles instead of mean frowns. Environmentally aware people. Amazing nature. Laws and regulations that allow for much, much more freedom in almost every way. Outdoorsy people. Cheaper living. A much higher level of common decency and compassion for other people. Humble people who don't care about cars and clothes......

The bad things. The cloudy weather got me down sometimes, especially towards the end of winter. Sometimes I really, really needed to get into some sunshine for a while so I would vacation in warmer climates or used a tanning bed which helped a lot.

Actually that is the only really bad thing that comes to my mind. Some people say it's "boring" up there but i've never found that to be true myself. Also the economy is known to be bad in many areas, but I always managed to get a good job.

After some overseas adventure and money-making, i'm going back up there almost for sure.
That's cool, I used to go to the tanning beds occasionally too in the NW. I think for me it's more of the Vitamin D that you produce from being in the sun that's lacking sometimes in the winter, not the greyness that gets me down.

I guess sometimes the greyness can weigh on me a little too, but I am still happier there, after comparing the two. They have daylight lamps that you can put at your desk and in your house that helps with Vitamin D, and the tanning beds also.

There's always some sacrifice, all that matters to me is that it's an improvement. Not sure if I will stay there forever, we'll see.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 PM

202 posts, read 873,252 times
Default I agree to an extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
If you looked at this place realistically, you wouldn't only have negative things to say about it. While I agree (to a degree) with some of your postings about the shallowness and materialism, I find it difficult to believe that you find absolutely nothing positive to say about San Diego. For me, happiness is a choice. I choose to be happy regardless of my circumstances or surroundings. I rise above them and can see the good things.

As another poster had said on another thread...bloom where you're planted. Think about it, you can't cultivate flowers without some measure of bullsh*t!
I should refraze, I am not happy, I am miserable sometimes due to the lack of real connectivity in my social and dating/spiritual life here and the lack of quality interactions with people. I am however very content with myself as person and I love myself. I am confident and outspoken about what I am passionate about. There is a difference between being gratified or happy and being content with ones self. I am always looking to make positive changes in my life. I find expressing myself to be therapeutic, you don't have to like it.

When I read the article I posted earlier about the politician who spoke his mind about SD, I got chills because his words were so honest and forward and he wasn't concerned what anyone thought about him. In my eyes he is a hero for exposing the truth. So many politicians nowadays make an art of skirting around the truth.

So many people nowadays would rather not say anything for fear of confrontation (corporate mentality). There is a big difference between personal attacks and confidently stating a point. I never attack anyone personally and I don't expect it in return.

I don't know how long you have lived here, but I've been here 20 years, I know it very well. I have made the best of it for 16 of those years. And had lot's of good times.

I still have tons of positives, it just so happens that when you are discussing reasons why you are moving, which is what we were doing, the positives don't come up. People don't want to leave somewhere because they love it.

Anyway, most of my discussions have been in reply to others who feel the same way, I am merely confirming that there are others who feel the same. And I have met many who feel the same.

If you don't feel the same that's cool, I respect your opinion whether it's positive or negative. If you think that everyones life is hunkydory and that we should all be saying nothing but positive things, I'm afraid you are a little out of touch with the reality of the world today.

I choose to confront that reality head on and discuss it amongst people who agree and see the reality. "Changes will never come if you are not willing to address the problems" part of addressing problems in life is discussing them amongst others. You can agree or not agree. Either way it's fine with me. I'm not judging you as a person.

If we were discussing why we were coming back here, then we would be discussing the positives about SD. Like the Surf, the Mtns, the Sun, the Deserts that are close, the childhood friends I have here that are the best friends I will ever have. My family who I care deeply about.

I am glad you make the best of your situation, we all do in many ways. I wish you all the best in life. If everyone bloomed were they were planted no one would ever be unhappy anywhere, do you really believe that is logical? I am sensitive to my surroundings, and personally I consider it to be a gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego