Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:05 PM

16 posts, read 45,167 times

Advertisements

For a nice long stretch of beach to walk, where is the best place to start?

I'd like convenient, free parking. Then I'd like to walk as far in one direction before reaching an area where we're not allowed or where it is impassible before turning around ... 10 miles would be great!

If parking is better, I'd park in the middle too. So what is the longest public access stretch of beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 12:26 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
I'm gonna say the Coronado/Silver Strand might be the longest stretch of uninterupted beach. You can park at the north end of Coronado Beach and walk all the way down to the Mexican border.

North County beaches have more cliffs and rocky outcrops that break up the coastline. Am I right?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:11 PM

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:13 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-313 View Post
Thanks!
Be sure to check the tides and time your walk at the lowest tide of the day if you can. That makes a big difference on how far you can go.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I'm gonna say the Coronado/Silver Strand might be the longest stretch of uninterupted beach. You can park at the north end of Coronado Beach and walk all the way down to the Mexican border.

North County beaches have more cliffs and rocky outcrops that break up the coastline. Am I right?
I'd say on a low tide, you could easily walk on the beach from Cardiff to the Del Mar race track (probably 5 miles each way) or further if you're willing to walk over a bridge and not technically "on the sand" the whole time. Then you could conceivably walk from Carlsbad all the way to Torrey Pines. High tide is a different story though.

Last edited by Encinitan; 07-15-2009 at 07:26 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,232 times
About a year after 9/11 I tried to walk from the Del to Silver Strand but was stopped and turned around at the base. Maybe they've loosened that by now.

I do sometimes walk from Silver Strand to the T.J estuary and back (I think that's about 8-10 miles).

Old 07-16-2009, 12:00 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I believe that stretch includes Imperial Beach, which I really like. That tends to be less crowded than a place like Mission Beach ... which I couldn't even access due to no parking available whatsoever! Driving along the Silver Strand area is a breeze ... but the problem is the public beaches along that stretch charge you for admission! I found it much more convenient to drive down to the town of Imperial Beach & park, then walk along the coast and avoid excessive crowds. There is an excellent seafood restaurant called the Tin Fish at the end of the pier. It's a well hidden gem.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,405 times
Park in the South Mission Beach Parking Lot (parking lot on Mission where the peninsula dead ends, beach side), and walk North, you can walk for miles, along flat beautiful beach nearly in to Bird Rock, where the beach gets rocky and encumbered by cliffs. I usually stop at Crystal Pier and return, Crystal Pier is at the end of Garnet Ave, coast side.

I am an avid beach walker and this is far and away my preferred walk of choice.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Be sure to check the tides and time your walk at the lowest tide of the day if you can. That makes a big difference on how far you can go.
High tides today were around 5:something AM and late afternoon, so I went when they were pretty low. I ended up parking near Torrey Pines State Beach and went south to the end of Black's Beach (You know that round private residence on the cliffside? Just past that.) Then I went back north up past Jake's a ways and back to where I started. No idea how far that was, but it was a good long walk! Thanks for all the help everybody. I'll be taking more walks like that one, so will use some of the other ideas here on other days!

Old 07-16-2009, 04:56 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley native View Post
i believe that stretch includes imperial beach, which i really like. That tends to be less crowded than a place like mission beach ... Which i couldn't even access due to no parking available whatsoever! Driving along the silver strand area is a breeze ... But the problem is the public beaches along that stretch charge you for admission! I found it much more convenient to drive down to the town of imperial beach & park, then walk along the coast and avoid excessive crowds. There is an excellent seafood restaurant called the tin fish at the end of the pier. It's a well hidden gem.
If you're a civilian, you WILL be stopped and turned around at the SEAL base--guaranteed. The guard jumps out of his booth if you take a step in that direction (was there earlier today), so it's unfortunately no longer possible to walk from the Del to the Mexican border on the beach. IB to Strand and Strand to IB still okay.

Last edited by jkoz; 07-16-2009 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego