Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:10 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-313 View Post
High tides today were around 5:something AM and late afternoon, so I went when they were pretty low. I ended up parking near Torrey Pines State Beach and went south to the end of Black's Beach (You know that round private residence on the cliffside? Just past that.) Then I went back north up past Jake's a ways and back to where I started. No idea how far that was, but it was a good long walk! Thanks for all the help everybody. I'll be taking more walks like that one, so will use some of the other ideas here on other days!
Wow, that's a long walk! You could have kept going north past Jake's all the way to the rivermouth at the racetrack. Then, once you passed over that, there was nothing stopping you until Cardiff Reef!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 PM

52 posts, read 147,033 times
Good question. This thread should be brought back to life too.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 591 times
Silver Strand to Imperial Beach pier (or vice versa): Great beach walk. Takes about 1 hour one way of decent-paced walking. The least crowded beach in San Diego and the most "natural" beach, with more shells than other beaches (but not like East Coast beaches) and signs of wildlife. Warning: unfortunately some of the wildlife is expired; I've seen dead seals, jellyfish, crabs, misc. fish, birds over the years. i never know what I'll see when I start my beach walk. Also, no lifeguards, so swim at your own risk. There are facilities at both ends - the State Park and also at the park by the pier. Once you reach the pier area, there are a few places to eat. One place sells home-made ice cream, coffee and misc. treats. There's a Subway on the main street very close by, as well as a few other places. Caution: Once you leave the the main areas, the crowd thins and soon you will be very isolated - very few people walk that entire stretch, which also makes it inviting. I'm a middle-aged woman and have never had any problems.
I highly recommend this walk.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 AM

8 posts, read 13,683 times
When we get the chance to visit San Diego, the wife and I really enjoy walking Mission Beach. Like one of the other guests mentioned, you can start at the south end of Mission Beach (sometimes you have to get there early for the parking) and walk north to the Crystal Pier (I know a person can walk further north than this, but we haven't done so thus far). A favorite stopping place for breakfast when walking this stretch is Kono's, which is right next to Crystal Pier. Great food and often times more than you can eat. Mission Beach/Pacific Beach is also a great place to stop along the boardwalk/beach and smell the ocean air, feel the ocean breeze, and watch other people having as nice a time as you are.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM

51 posts, read 99,977 times
When we go home to visit we always park in the La Jolla Shores parking lot and then walk north to Black's Beach. If the tides a little high, you have to be willing to get a little wet and hike up and around the tidepools. It's a beautiful hike, and once you get north of the pier at La Jolla Shores, there usually aren't too many people around. Have fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego