Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblue View Post
It is so funny because the biggest trouble makers in our neighborhood are two old women that are sisters.

Old people cause so many problems. They get a free pass because they are old.

I wonder if this is a normal part of aging to become annoying when turning old. It sure seems that way.
No....most of us old people are sweet and demure....dammit....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 PM

258 posts, read 533,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
No....most of us old people are sweet and demure....dammit....lol
Present company excluded.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
I wonder if you bought your house from original owners. My friends had an experience where three sets of original owners, all late 60s/early 70s, would get together on the middle one's porch in the early evening for drinks. It was a regular thing. They'd go out to dinner together too. Two of them even had a path between houses and a little garden decoration sign that said something about welcome neighbor.

Well, that middle neighbor didn't have the allegiance the others did to stay there forever. He moved. The neighbor on one side was friendly to the new neighbors. The ones on the other side were not. But my friends didn't actually think anything of it. Some neighbors aren't all over each other.

My friends went about doing the yard work. For one thing they wondered why a certain stip was not landscaped...then realized it was the path to the neighbor's house. The husband pulled up the welcome neighbor sign along with the other yard knick knacks the previous owners left. (His wife felt this might be a mistake right there.)

Those neighbors got less and less friendly.

Turns out, as someone said here, the friendly neighbor and his wife had many outside interests and the husband still worked in his specialty on occasion.

The other couple had interests and charity work but on a lesser scale and seemed to have counted on the previous owner of my friend's house for their entertainment. They seemed to sorely miss their evenings on that porch.

To tell you the truth, they may have even been a little heartbroken. Maybe not only about their friends leaving them but about the state of their lives...getting older, etc. Everyone in it together in this new subdivision and now several scattered to other places. And difficult to make the adjustment at their ages. (Not the age in particular because others can adjust, just the case for them.)

Your 70 year old neighbor may have some of these issues. Grief can come out in odd ways, one being inappropriate anger. Another being some destruction. (My friend's neighbor would occasionally cut my friend's grass short or cut a few bushes... mild but there are stories of some doing much worse.)

Your neighbor may miss the former owner terribly. He may also have the beginning of dementia. He seems to be obsessive.

Like someone here said, he may treasure a friend. It may so turn him around, he'd sit in your driveway guarding it and brush it clean every day Let him switch his obsession.

That said, if the idea of reaching out to be friendly to him doesn't work...it is important to have no cars blocking your driveway in the event an emergency vehicle is needed. If extreme friendliness doesn't work you need to do something to unblock your driveway.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:06 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Clean your weapons with the garage door up

Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Clean your weapons with the garage door up
Thanks for the afternoon laugh! LOL....Might not be a bad idea!

Old 05-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
My neighbor rents and every once in a while they get a real @#$@#$. I time a trip to the range to when I know they will probably be outside and that is usually all it takes to get them to play nice.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:

Old 05-10-2013, 02:04 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Coming from Texas....not so out of place

Old 05-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Coming from Texas....not so out of place
Yup, I'm from CO so same deal

Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,847 times
A man here in Poway had a problem with people parking on the public street in front of his house. He would get irate if anyone used his driveway to turn around. He was known to have extreme temper problems.

One day his next door neighbor must have said something to set him off. He brought out multiple firearms and shot two of his neighbors in their own house. He was later killed by sheriff's deputies.

Deputies kill suspect in double slaying | UTSanDiego.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego