Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 03:34 PM

6 posts, read 7,671 times

Advertisements

Hello
I currently teach math at one of the senior High schools in TX and my husbandworks for a church and we have two kids in HS. We found out last week that He isgetting transferred to a church in SD. I cannot move before I find a teaching job anda good school for my kiddoes. I do not know where to look; I have noconnections in SD yet. I heard that Poway has a good school system. Does anyoneknow anything about getting a job at one of the private schools there? Any information would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
I'm sure you wanted more than this, but this is all I know.

Employment Information

I would think that, as a math teacher, you wouldn't have a hard time finding a job in a public school. However, you must know that the teacher situation in CA is not good: Teacher layoffs lowest since economic downturn, CTA reports | EdSource Today

Here's a list of private schools in Poway.

Poway, California (CA) Private Schools

Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Don't count on getting a teaching job, or even substituting for that matter. Priority for any vacancies are given to teachers that were laid off. In addition, all the laid off teachers work as substitutes, and even those jobs are getting fewer and far between, plus they're applying to the private schools. Teaching is not a good field to be in these days.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:40 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Don't count on getting a teaching job, or even substituting for that matter. Priority for any vacancies are given to teachers that were laid off. In addition, all the laid off teachers work as substitutes, and even those jobs are getting fewer and far between, plus they're applying to the private schools. Teaching is not a good field to be in these days.
I wonder how true that is for teachers in the STEM subjects ...

Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 7,671 times
Thank you Fran 66 for the information, I will check out the links your provided me.

Moved, I am not the type to give up plus I really enjoy and love teaching but thanks for the advice. I need to keep my options open I guess

Old 05-24-2013, 09:25 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Moved, I am not the type to give up plus I really enjoy and love teaching but thanks for the advice. I need to keep my options open I guess.

Teaching is not a good field to be in these. Local laid off teachers have first priority for "post and bid," plus the contract teachers aren't allowed to request a particular substitute, the job has to be posted in the system and be up for grabs.

This information was provided to me by two friends that are substitute teachers.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Maybe be a part-time teacher if it's something you really enjoy, or work somewhere like Rocket Learning Center or Kumon, but also have another job that makes more money, and where you're less likely to be fired.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:46 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Though the job situation is not good for teachers in general, I read where there is a demand for Math teachers.

The Poway school district is excellent and very highly rated. Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Peñasquitos, and Poway are in the Poway school district. Rancho Bernardo and Rancho Peñasquitos are actually part of the city of San Diego whereas Poway is a separate city adjoining the other 2.

We lived in Poway for 17 years and our son went to Middle School and High School in Poway.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:54 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Though the job situation is not good for teachers in general, I read where there is a demand for Math teachers.

The Poway school district is excellent and very highly rated. Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Peñasquitos, and Poway are in the Poway school district. Rancho Bernardo and Rancho Peñasquitos are actually part of the city of San Diego whereas Poway is a separate city adjoining the other 2.

We lived in Poway for 17 years and our son went to Middle School and High School in Poway.
Yeah, but if you buy in Poway be careful of that horrible bond issue: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...ond-issue.html

Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Yeah, but if you buy in Poway be careful of that horrible bond issue: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...ond-issue.html
I wasn't aware of this as we moved from Poway to Murrieta in 2002. Among other things, I guess this is also a good reason for making the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego