Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:00 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,992,197 times

Advertisements

Here is a question I've been pondering since yesterday - With Blockbuster gone, what does a person in San Diego do if they want to rent a movie? Yes, I know there is Redbox, but those vending machines have a limited selection. Yes, I know about Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu - but I don't want to subscribe to a service. Yes I know about cable company Video on Demand. And yes, I know about the local library.

Five years ago, if I wanted to rent say Karate Kid, I could go to the local Blockbuster and usually find it. But now, what is a person to do!?

It seems as though Blockbuster/Hollywood video could curtail to a niche market (non-techie people, those that don't want to pay monthly fees, etc.) and now that niche market has nowhere to go to rent movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,278,783 times
Perhaps there is a niche market, but that is certainly not the trend as noted by the demise of these dinosaurs like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video.

Redbox and Netflix machines exist at just about any neighborhood market as you said. If anything, I see those machines having more of an incentive to expand capacity in light of the news. Do you not find them convenient? Or is it that you are looking for movies that are not necessarily just coming out (like your Karate Kid reference)?

Time moves on, technology has taken over and made things in many ways much more efficient. Not utilizing what that offers seems counter intuitive to me given the depth of catalogue that a Netflix has. Is streaming content not something you do?

Perhaps there will be an oppt for a niche national chain to open, but I dont think they will even come close to the size of the old Blockbuster stores. In the meantime just like there are record shops for vinyl junkies there will be small video shops like Kensington Video. That is about as niche as it gets.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:32 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,601,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
... Yes, I know there is Redbox, but those vending machines have a limited selection. ...
In case you haven't already seen it, if you go to their website you can browse "near you", which might offer a better selection.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:54 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,941,579 times
public library dvd's - up-to-date, free, no problem

Old 11-09-2013, 11:11 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,387,349 times
Blockbuster? LOL. Funny to think they were around as long as they were. Amazing to see the role technology plays these days. We find the Redbox GREAT. You can reserve movies ahead of time to save time and ensure it's there. We do that and it works great. Yes, a limited selection sometimes but I still find it great.

Netflix has a TON of old movies and if you have Amazon Prime it also includes a free membership to their Amazon Prime movies as well.

And bloom is spot on target with the library. Their selection is really really limited but we get DVD's for the kids all the time there.

I really don't see any viable business option for DVD rental stores these days when you add in the high cost of bricks and mortar rentals in San Diego.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:13 AM

681 posts, read 2,801,651 times
There was an article in the Reader Magazine about a mom & pop video store that is still around and pretty much has every title that has been released on VHS and DVD. Their name is Kensington Video ... here's a link:

Movie lover's paradise | San Diego Reader

Kensington Video

Old 11-09-2013, 11:15 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,347,141 times
I remember when Blockbuster was the new kid, and we all hated them (I worked at a video store in high school) because they focused on new releases while our family video store had all kinds of old stuff.

That wasn't even 20 years ago yet.

I do agree that technology doesn't always improve things. We take more mediocre digital photos now with our phone cameras and will get only the dvd's that are convienient to get....

things will swing back.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:22 AM

I found both Netflix and Amazon' streaming service terrible in the selection of recent good movies. Maybe they are better for the new wave of good TV drama shows.
Does Redbox do streaming?
Actually, er, the public library selection in not limited at all but in fact the widest and best and they take suggestions and act on them to purchase less popular including foreign but excellent films.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:29 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,347,141 times
It depends on the library, but I agree I love the library (worked in the media section in college, we still had records even) hopefully those stay afloat too. At least my local library here in Ventura wasn't very appealing and I've started netflix which I don't like to pay for on top of cable.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:39 AM

For SD, you reserve online your movie selections so it is not dependent on what one branch has but the whole network of branches, and then delivered to your local branch for pick up.
I've also binged watched and caught up on some great TV series over the years: Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Breaking Bad, Portlandia. I'm finding The Wire a bit painful to get through despite the hoopla. Homeland and Downton Abbey on my list. Refuse to watch the new acclaimed Battlestar Galactica as the classic original version from the late 1970s has a place in my heart and could not tolerate a female Starbuck coffee or Apollo creed or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego