Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:32 AM

34 posts, read 73,587 times

Advertisements

We're moving from NYC to SD in early 2015, and it just occurred to me that we might have to deal with wildlife we're completely not used to. I'm a life-long northeasterner who grew up in the suburbs and has lived in NYC ever since, so besides the average daddy long legs, mosquitos, and deer ticks (one of which gave me Lyme Disease a few years back), we haven't had too much trouble. A few cockroaches and mice in various apartments here and there, but that's par for the course in NYC.

What I am admittedly terrified of is snakes, having never encountered one (that I've been aware of) before. Are rattlesnakes prevalent? We're planning on living in the North Park area or around - will it be an issue there? What should we be careful of when hiking or otherwise? Any other scary critters to worry about, especially in the home? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:59 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
In North Park, you are not too likely to encounter rattlesnakes unless close to the park. You are more likely to encounter hipsters, a separate reptilian variety.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 AM

74 posts, read 89,574 times
I think the main problem in North Park is getting your home robbed while your at work. It happened to a friend of mine during the holidays. They broke in and stole all the presents under the tree. I wouldn't live there if I were you

Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,939,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall View Post
I think the main problem in North Park is getting your home robbed while your at work. It happened to a friend of mine during the holidays. They broke in and stole all the presents under the tree. I wouldn't live there if I were you
You sound like you live in fear.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Rattlesnakes like covered dark areas around a home. People typically are bit when they are reaching into a garden box to adjust sprinklers etc. Use a metal shaft to reveal what you can't see. Most people we see are gardeners who are bit when reaching into some covered box in a garden or in a field. When hiking stay on trails and be observant. If you are running be aware of your foot path ahead.

Rattlers don't like us much so they will make every attempt to avoid a confrontation. If you are bit go immediately to any emergency room. Do not delay or think that you did not "really get bit that bad".

Old 06-25-2014, 10:57 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,480 times
They are all over the place at certain times of the year. If you never hike or take walks near any of the canyons, you'll probably never see them. If you have kids or pets, you need to watch out. I've seen a ton of various snakes, including rattlers, while hiking.

And it's not like I was "off the grid" so to speak, more like I was walking on a huge dirt path near Albertsons, Whole foods, etc. It's a popular trail from the Race Track, and so on. But I've seen some rattlers and other snakes hanging out around there. This is when people get into trouble, especially if they have young kids or dogs. You have to know they are around, but you don't have to live in fear that they are going to jump out and attack. There are times they block the middle of the trail and you can wait. Normally they don't stick around long in the middle of some trail.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:08 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,541,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todovabien View Post
What should we be careful of when hiking or otherwise? !
If you are going to be an avid hiker, you will likely see a rattle snake or two. This has been the only time I have ever encountered one.

Surprisingly, I have never seen one at my home and I live next to a large empty lot with many boulders and a huge cactus patch. I would think the snakes would love being next to the warm rocks. I did, however, have 3 tarantula sightings last year at my home...but I live out in the sticks which is much different than North Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
In North Park, you are not too likely to encounter rattlesnakes unless close to the park. You are more likely to encounter hipsters, a separate reptilian variety.
Oh my goodness, too funny.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 PM

45 posts, read 69,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todovabien View Post
We're moving from NYC to SD in early 2015, and it just occurred to me that we might have to deal with wildlife we're completely not used to. I'm a life-long northeasterner who grew up in the suburbs and has lived in NYC ever since, so besides the average daddy long legs, mosquitos, and deer ticks (one of which gave me Lyme Disease a few years back), we haven't had too much trouble. A few cockroaches and mice in various apartments here and there, but that's par for the course in NYC.

What I am admittedly terrified of is snakes, having never encountered one (that I've been aware of) before. Are rattlesnakes prevalent? We're planning on living in the North Park area or around - will it be an issue there? What should we be careful of when hiking or otherwise? Any other scary critters to worry about, especially in the home? Thanks in advance!
In general, the coastal canyons all over San Diego are home to rattlesnakes. It doesn't matter what neighborhood you're in. They come out of "hibernation" about the middle of March and that is when they seem to be most commonly sighted. They won't go out of their way to bite you, but they might if you inadvertently step on one. People say that "they're more afraid of you than you are of them". But I've found that when you encounter one, they're in no hurry to run away from you. They're not blessed with long legs for running after all, nature has given them venom for defense. Sometimes it can take a while to get one to move out of the path. What this means is that you should be alert and keep your eyes open for them if you are in their territory and you should be fine. Personally I'm with you, I'm scared to death of them. I've been mountain biking in these canyons (Penasquitos, UCSD, Rose, San Clemente...) for a couple of decades. I've seen countless rattlers there, but I've never had one strike at me (knock on wood!).

Old 06-25-2014, 06:28 PM

42 posts, read 57,249 times
You don't have to live right on a canyon to encounter one. When they need something they don't have, they'll travel. But it's rare to find them in the bulk of North Park. If they're going to be somewhere, it's usually dark... under hedges, in a garage, in a shed, etc. Don't worry about it too much and enjoy yourselves.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,742,365 times
As others have already said, rattlers are more common in/near the canyons and in the more rural areas of the County. I, too, am terrified of snakes and haven't come across one yet. I do know people who have found them in their yards, though. The below happened a couple years ago and still freaks me out LOL

Vera Oliphant Survives Fall, 6 Rattlesnake Bites In Nest Near San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego