Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 04:24 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I didn't see it, but from a friend who did and news reports, seems like he was sort of hopping up the coastline from Cardiff Reef to Suckouts, heading towards Pipes when they dragged the balloon on to the beach. The lack of wind stranded the balloon out there over the water.
Haha I don't even know what I would have done if I was there. Regardless, I have to take a day or two off since I got stung by a ray at the reef yesterday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 04:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
San Diego is my fav place on earth.. its the closest I have found to heaven on earth. The only downside is the cost of living and its hard to get a high paying job in San Diego. I def want to retire to San Diego.. the weather is the best in the world.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:29 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
Really what's not to love about San Diego...except I can't afford to live there!!!

Old 10-07-2014, 04:53 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Hawaii, with only proximity to NYC as its only real saving grace, Philly is mostly a horrible blue collar gritty hell hole masquerading as a cultural zone (crime ridden, obsessive race politics, low income, horrible weather, unhealthy food, and filled with rude people). I feel badly for you. The only worse place nearby is Baltimore.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 10-07-2014 at 05:07 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 08:16 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Hawaii, with only proximity to NYC as its only real saving grace, Philly is mostly a horrible blue collar gritty hell hole masquerading as a cultural zone (crime ridden, obsessive race politics, low income, horrible weather, unhealthy food, and filled with rude people). I feel badly for you. The only worse place nearby is Baltimore.
LOL Have you been here before? Most of the people I've encountered have been friendly, and there is a lot to see and do. Yes there is unhealthy food (pizza and cheesesteaks), but there are also healthy options and ethnic eats which redeem the city's food scene. And it all has been good so far. The downtown is amazing and walkable, there are many arboretums, and the city is filled with greenery. Plus, IT RAINS!! SoCal is far too dry. Best of all--you don't HAVE to drive! The public transit is rather good. So while there is a lot I don't like about the city, there are a lot of false stereotypes about it and it is better than I expected.

But I do like DC better.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Yes I am familiar with Philadelphia having lived in DC for years. Philadelphia is a working class city whereas DC is filled with wonks who comically delude themselves with their own imagined self-importance. But yes, DC is comparatively far better.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:39 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
They call it Filthadelphia for a reason

Old 10-07-2014, 10:28 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
Great weather and scenery

Old 10-07-2014, 11:40 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
The weather is great. Although I would love some rain every now and then because it's just kind of nice and we're in a drought! The amount of recreational opportunities is amazing with ocean, hills, valleys, mountains and desert all within the county lines. It's close to LA for that big city escape. There is a lot to love about San Diego but I can see why it's not all sunshine and roses for many people. It's very expensive even in many of the inland areas. I'm a young SD native and find myself having the "grass is greener somewhere else" mentality sometimes.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:59 PM

813 posts, read 1,273,079 times
We just moved to San Diego this summer. We love the numerous activities going on at any given time. There is so much to do here whether you are a family, single, etc.

Also, I know this sounds crazy, but I love that the freeways are huge here. We were just north of Boston before, and the "highways" there are only a few lanes. People drive very aggressively there, and I was always nervous that I would be run off the road.

No snow in San Diego. Sure it is fun and pretty for the first few feet each winter, but in February when the snowbanks are taller than you -- not so fun anymore.

Food options. We have crazy health issues that require each of us to have a special diet. Vegan, gluten free, casein free, low sugar, organic... you name it and one of us has the requirement. We have places we can find these foods here in San Diego.

I have found people to be very welcoming, and have made some nice friends in our short time here. I feel like I have a community here more than where we lived before.

I feel like I am "home" in San Diego. Lots to love about it in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego