Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 AM

20 posts, read 87,248 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with Chula Vista? We're moving to SD and I've noticed many great properties available in the $330k-$375k that look beautiful in Chula Vista. Our neighbor grew up in SD and told us not even to consider it because it's basically little Tijuana (meaning gang ridden not safe crap schools). But I've read conflicting infor-ie: there are some great schools, areas etc. So what's the lowdown? Is it safe? Are there good schools? What's the commute like to La Jolla etc?? Is it worth considering with small children or give it a miss. What are good yet relatively affordable areas generally??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 01:26 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,265 times
SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Education -- A city divided – by Interstate 805

Old 02-09-2008, 04:26 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,118 times
Parts of CV are absolutely wonderful. Others are not. CV is it's own city and like any city, has its great and crappy parts. Its not some tiny suburb.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:31 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,320 times
I personally love Chula Vista, have been here for 17 years and am happy with it. My husband was born and raised in C.V. and never left. Contrary to what you hear, there are lots of nice normal people here! It gets labeled as "Chula Juana" because of its proximity to the border (though it is not on the border), and the high Hispanic influence, etc. Chula Vista is unofficially divided by I-805, with newer developments east of 805 and the older, more established part of the city west of 805. There are some gang issues, mostly in the western sections. I live in Eastlake, which is very multicultural, many Hispanic, and family oriented. Unfortunately, there was a murder very near where I live on Thursday (possibly drug-related), but that is the first in this part of Eastlake in its 21-year history. There is concern that there will be some "spillover" of the drug activity going on now in Tijuana into parts of Chula Vista. You can now find nice homes for probably closer to 400-450k, though there are lots of foreclosures and deals to be had, maybe in the 300s, especially in the 91913 zip code of Eastlake. There are some nice areas in the western part of C.V. also, with much older homes, mostly along Hilltop, which may be in your price range also. Unfortunately, I don't have children so can't speak intelligently about the schools. Eastern Chula Vista is definitely family oriented, including for small children. Eastlake has activities for children, including playgroups, etc. regularly. Some people are bothered by living close to the border, so obviously this area is not for them. As far as shopping and restaurants, Eastern Chula Vista is now very convenient. Basically, like everywhere else, there is good and bad in C.V., but it is not as bad as people from other parts of the county tend to think.

You may want to consider another location, though, as the commute to LaJolla every day could be nasty. I briefly commuted there and it was horrible--and that was in the early 90s!--now much worse I'm sure.

Last edited by jkoz; 02-09-2008 at 05:07 PM..

Old 02-10-2008, 12:54 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,949 times
The place is not a gangland per se, but gangs are there, and at Chula Vista Mall I had to deal with aggressive Mexican-American kids panhandling and they called me a name (disparaging my long hair) when I didn't give them anything.

It's grungy to the West between the 5 and 405 but kinda wonderful. Downtown CV is a nice old street style with a pleasant theater where I enjoyed watching a few shows. The wonderful Niederfrank's Ice Cream is in nearby but even grungier National City.

Eastern CV or Eastlake...is for those who REALLY afford it. Plastic suburbia.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 AM

936 posts, read 3,189,878 times
depends on what side of chula vista you are talking about. MOST of west chula vista is sub par with san diego county as a whole, but most of east chula vista either levels with or supercedes most of san diego county in terms of cleanliness, diversity, and overall lifestyle. good deals on homes right now. i actually live at the woods at eastlake which is a part of east chula vista and there is a home a few from mine that is on a short sale for $640,000 (3,750 sq. ft), down from its sold price of $1,140,000 2 years ago. please be respectful y'all and don't buy it, my father is currently going through a credit check so he can buy it much appreciated -- just an example of the seriousness of the mortgage crisis!

Old 02-10-2008, 02:44 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,265 times
Just so you appreciate how different west and east parts are.

Eastlake Middle (extreme east): free/reduced price lunches: 12.0%

Chula Vista Middle (west of 805): free/reduced price lunches: 60.8%

kid's family needs to make <185% of federal poverty level to qualify for reduced price meals.

Last edited by esmith143; 02-10-2008 at 03:33 AM..

Old 02-10-2008, 11:06 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
It's a bummer that CV has gets such a bad wrap. I grew up in the South Bay so I speak from experience. While it's safe to say that the western edge of the City along 5 freeway is pretty rundown, the rest of the city is not bad at all. Some great, mature neighborhoods surround the cute little downtown strip along 3rd Ave.

Like others have already said, the eastern side (East of the 805 freeway - Eastlake, Otay Ranch, Rolling Hills, etc) is newer, master-planned and safe. Diversity is the key here. Your neighbors will be of every color in the rainbow and all live in peace. These days you'll find every chain restaurant and store within city limits.

The commute to La Jolla will probably take between 40 and 45 minutes.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:58 AM

20 posts, read 87,248 times
Thanks so much for all the info-greatly appreciated!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
Love it here - absolutely love it here. It's pretty, diverse, and has conveniences nearby. What more could you ask for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego