Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 09:31 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You in the MCRD marina? If so our boat was slipped by yours for many a year. We were on the outside down near the inflatables with the fitty cals
Yassir boss! But only part timer cause I split time up in Morro Bay as well. Plus, now retired, I can sail for months in the summers up Puget Sound - which venue beats anythng CA has from June through September. Up north now a bit early this year building on a new catamaran.

MCRD is a real little treasure if you qualify and can get under the bridge . Can't keep my sailing cat there with it's 35' mast so that one's for sale down at Fiddler's. I been camping on my little 1958 cabin cruiser at MCRD until I bring down the new cat which will have a stub mast with dipping rig to clear the bridge.

How do you qualify for MCRD? You retired military hoss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 09:48 AM

38 posts, read 48,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Thanks. Interesting. Yelp reviews for the place I am considering complained about airplane noise. Since I am a light sleeper, I am concerned. Also, UCSD is a roughly 25 min commute from this place. Another factor to consider. I wonder if I will be better off renting at neighborhoods closer to UCSD - university city or PB?
I would pass on Point Loma. The nicer areas are probably out of your budget, and the commute to/from UCSD during rush hour is not fun. Probably 30 minutes there in the morning and 45 minutes back. OB would be even worse.

Hillcrest and the other mid-city areas (North Park, South Park, University Heights, Normal Heights) would probably be more fun for you to live it, the commute is fairly similar to the one from Point Loma though, and depending on how far east you go could be even worse. University City may be a little less exciting to live in and can be pricey, but the commute is obviously very easy. It seems like PB would be a pretty good fit for you overall.

I would really try to see the place you're going to rent before signing a lease if possible, like everyone else is recommending. I think we've all heard of people very unpleasantly surprised when they show up and the place they rented looks nothing like what was pictured, or worse.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:23 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
The place I am considering is close to W Point loma blvd and adrian street. Any thoughts? Is it ocean beach?

when you say there is no beach proper? what does that mean? I like dogs but I am not sure if dog beach is where I want to chill. I do like the vibe in PB and the board walk. I don't know if ocean beach is vastly different from PB in terms of the view, waves, and board walk.
When I say Point Loma doesn't have a beach, I mean that the only section on the ocean is sunset cliffs. This is not a "beach" in the sense that you can lay out on the sand. You can get into the ocean for surfing and look at the ocean from the cliffs, but that's pretty much it. You won't be laying out on the sand there unless it is low tide.

The closest beach to the area you are looking at will be Ocean Beach. OB is not just dog beach -- there is a beach by the pier which has plenty of sand (although OB does have more than its share of homeless and vagrants hanging out around the pier).

But, the address you're indicating is not walking distance to OB's beach. As Tulemutt indicated, the Midway/Sports Arena area which is sort of where the address is isn't horrible, but it is mainly comprised of strip malls, so it is probably not an area that you'll want to hang out and socialize in (unless you like hanging out in the area's strip clubs). That area also attracts a fair share of homeless. You'll need to drive from there to get to any nightlife, and also drive to the beach (although I suppose if you had a bike, you could bike to OB pier from there).

If you're visualizing being able to leave your apartment and walk to either the beach or nightlife, this part of town probably isn't going to be ideal for you.

Again, since I assume this isn't going to be a short stay in San Diego like when you were here previously, I'd strongly recommend waiting until you get here to actually scope out and decide where you want to live. I know that it will require spending some extra money for a hotel or airbnb for a few weeks while you look for a place, but it would be better to spend a little more time and cash and end up somewhere you will be happy and comfortable living in.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-17-2016 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 11:05 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Get yourself here, find a place to live, and if you don't like it, you can move. But don't rent sign unseen.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:55 PM

480 posts, read 418,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
When I say Point Loma doesn't have a beach, I mean that the only section on the ocean is sunset cliffs. This is not a "beach" in the sense that you can lay out on the sand. You can get into the ocean for surfing and look at the ocean from the cliffs, but that's pretty much it. You won't be laying out on the sand there unless it is low tide.

The closest beach to the area you are looking at will be Ocean Beach. OB is not just dog beach -- there is a beach by the pier which has plenty of sand (although OB does have more than its share of homeless and vagrants hanging out around the pier).

But, the address you're indicating is not walking distance to OB's beach. As Tulemutt indicated, the Midway/Sports Arena area which is sort of where the address is isn't horrible, but it is mainly comprised of strip malls, so it is probably not an area that you'll want to hang out and socialize in (unless you like hanging out in the area's strip clubs). That area also attracts a fair share of homeless. You'll need to drive from there to get to any nightlife, and also drive to the beach (although I suppose if you had a bike, you could bike to OB pier from there).

If you're visualizing being able to leave your apartment and walk to either the beach or nightlife, this part of town probably isn't going to be ideal for you.

Again, since I assume this isn't going to be a short stay in San Diego like when you were here previously, I'd strongly recommend waiting until you get here to actually scope out and decide where you want to live. I know that it will require spending some extra money for a hotel or airbnb for a few weeks while you look for a place, but it would be better to spend a little more time and cash and end up somewhere you will be happy and comfortable living in.
Thank you. I will definitely consider the advise here to first visit and then sign the lease. But it's good to do my home work so that i know what to look for. Based on the opinions I am getting here, PB sounds like a good fit. I need to find a place within my budget. That's the challenge. I am also going to consider Hill crest and mid city areas. Time will tell. But I am gonna pass on the point loma apartment. It seems fard from UCSd based on the replies I got and strip malls really isn't my thing. I have visited Hill crest and I like the area. I will keep my options open.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I will definitely consider the advise here to first visit and then sign the lease. But it's good to do my home work so that i know what to look for. Based on the opinions I am getting here, PB sounds like a good fit. I need to find a place within my budget. That's the challenge. I am also going to consider Hill crest and mid city areas. Time will tell. But I am gonna pass on the point loma apartment. It seems fard from UCSd based on the replies I got and strip malls really isn't my thing. I have visited Hill crest and I like the area. I will keep my options open.
What's your budget? (Sorry if you already mentioned it but those of us with feeble memories need reminders).

Old 05-18-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
What's your budget? (Sorry if you already mentioned it but those of us with feeble memories need reminders).
$1200 max. Is it doable? Ideal would be $1000.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:37 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Beware the Point Loma Crapartments. They are vast in number.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
$1200 max. Is it doable? Ideal would be $1000.
It's doable, but in that price range, I would definitely want to see any apartments in person before I put down a deposit, especially if they say "close to the beach."

Also, expect some competition for apartments in that range in more popular areas; some landlords will advertise and take multiple applications so they can pick and choose the "best" candidate.

You should also anticipate that you may be offered only a 6 month lease in that price range (forget what TheOaks said; there are plenty of landlords in San Diego that offer six month leases at lower rates so they can keep up with our ever-rising rents).

Old 05-19-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
It's doable, but in that price range, I would definitely want to see any apartments in person before I put down a deposit, especially if they say "close to the beach."

Also, expect some competition for apartments in that range in more popular areas; some landlords will advertise and take multiple applications so they can pick and choose the "best" candidate.

You should also anticipate that you may be offered only a 6 month lease in that price range (forget what TheOaks said; there are plenty of landlords in San Diego that offer six month leases at lower rates so they can keep up with our ever-rising rents).
Thanks. PB is my first choice. but it looks like most apartments in PB don't have a dishwasher at least the ones within my budget. The apartments in downtown seem to fair fell with the dishwasher aspect, but they are far from the beach. I might just have to compromise on dish washer. The neighborhood I like best is the area of PB where you have the taco surf restaurant. I saw plenty of apartments in that area when I visited but I can't find them online. May be some apartment units don't advertise on line at all? I may have to rent a temporary studio and check these out in person? Also, very few are furnished. I will have to dell my furniture here any may be buy used furniture when I move. complicated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego