Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 08:03 PM

480 posts, read 418,516 times

Advertisements

Following up with my previous thread, I am considering a couple of apartments in point loma but the yelp reviews and some previous threads mention significant air plane noise. Has this gotten any better? I am a light sleeper and hence I am concerned. Also is it true that Point loma is mostly retired military and families? If so I would feel out of place as a single gay male in his early 30s. I have never visited this area and it's hard for me to visualize it.

I personally like pacific beach a lot (spent about a month there last year) but the apartments there are super expensive with minimal amenities. It's hard searching for apartments when I am 1000 miles away. Any help appreciated. May be I should search in downtown/little italy/golden hill? Those places are a bit far from the beach and hence I will only be able to get to the beach in weekends if I rented there. Is the traffic any better in those neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 08:17 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
What type of amenities do you want? Downtown/Little Italy/Golden Hill areas aren't that far from the beach, what do you consider a "bit far?" If you're a light sleeper, you don't want to live in PB or the Gaslamp District, because it's very noisy at night, especially on the weekends.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
What type of amenities do you want? Downtown/Little Italy/Golden Hill areas aren't that far from the beach, what do you consider a "bit far?" If you're a light sleeper, you don't want to live in PB or the Gaslamp District, because it's very noisy at night, especially on the weekends.
I don't need anything fancy. I would like a dish washer, a parking spot, and a fitness center. But it looks like I may have to compromise on those. Ideally, I want to be able to walk to the beach or at least drive without facing huge traffic. for instance, If I want to hit the beach at 5 or 6 pm on a week day I would want to be able to do that without agonizing long commute. May be I should consider hillcrest?

I rented a condo last summer in PB a couple of minutes from the ocean and to my surprise it was fairly quiet. I do know parts of PB are very noisy but I am hoping for a few rental properties that would dodge the noise bullet.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:15 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
You can probably get a dishwasher, though I don't know why, a parking spot, but not a fitness center. If you want to hit the beach at 5 or 6pm on a weekday, you're going to run into traffic.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:54 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
I don't need anything fancy. I would like a dish washer, a parking spot, and a fitness center. But it looks like I may have to compromise on those. Ideally, I want to be able to walk to the beach or at least drive without facing huge traffic. for instance, If I want to hit the beach at 5 or 6 pm on a week day I would want to be able to do that without agonizing long commute. May be I should consider hillcrest?

I rented a condo last summer in PB a couple of minutes from the ocean and to my surprise it was fairly quiet. I do know parts of PB are very noisy but I am hoping for a few rental properties that would dodge the noise bullet.
Where, exactly, are the apartments you're considering in Point Loma? That will make a difference as to how much noise you'll experience. Some areas of Point Loma don't get much airport noise at all; in others it is constant. (Keep in mind that there is a curfew on flights at the airport between certain hours, so you won't have airport noise 24 hours a day in any case).

There really isn't a "beach" in Point Loma proper. So, you'll still have to drive to get to a sandy beach if you live in Point Loma, unless you are really looking at apartments in Ocean Beach. Sometimes, I've noticed that landlords fudge a little bit in terms of where they say an apartment is located. They'll say an apartment is in "Point Loma" but it is really in Ocean Beach or more by the Sports Arena (you don't want to live in that area!), because "Point Loma" sounds classier in some people's minds.

If there is any way you can swing it, I would wait on signing a lease until I could scope out the apartment options in person.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-16-2016 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Where, exactly, are the apartments you're considering in Point Loma? That will make a difference as to how much noise you'll experience. Some areas of Point Loma don't get much airport noise at all; in others it is constant. (Keep in mind that there is a curfew on flights at the airport between certain hours, so you won't have airport noise 24 hours a day in any case).

There really isn't a "beach" in Point Loma proper. So, you'll still have to drive to get to a sandy beach if you live in Point Loma, unless you are really looking at apartments in Ocean Beach. Sometimes, I've noticed that landlords fudge a little bit in terms of where they say an apartment is located. They'll say an apartment is in "Point Loma" but it is really in Ocean Beach or more by the Sports Arena (you don't want to live in that area!), because "Point Loma" sounds classier in some people's minds.

If there is any way you can swing it, I would wait on signing a lease until I could scope out the apartment options in person.
The place I am considering is close to W Point loma blvd and adrian street. Any thoughts? Is it ocean beach?

when you say there is no beach proper? what does that mean? I like dogs but I am not sure if dog beach is where I want to chill. I do like the vibe in PB and the board walk. I don't know if ocean beach is vastly different from PB in terms of the view, waves, and board walk.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:26 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
The place I am considering is close to W Point loma blvd and adrian street. Any thoughts? Is it ocean beach?

when you say there is no beach proper? what does that mean? I like dogs but I am not sure if dog beach is where I want to chill. I do like the vibe in PB and the board walk. I don't know if ocean beach is vastly different from PB in terms of the view, waves, and board walk.
That's not really Ocean Beach, no. It's the edge of the Sports Arena district - which isn't a great place, though it's not any gang-infested ghetto either. It's okay-ish. Close to Mission Bay parks and beaches. You won't have any airport noise to speak of.

Ocean Beach itself, is southwest of the Arena area. I love OB. It's funky. I'm funky. Works for me. But also can be quite foggy at times of the year. Ocean winds blow sand around the streets a lot over there too. When there's a blow and rain it can flood some of the streets and be inconvenient for a day or two. By the time you get to that side of the Loma ridge in OB the aircraft noise is pretty minimal in my opinion. Then again, I was Navy aircrew so ...

Old 05-17-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
That's not really Ocean Beach, no. It's the edge of the Sports Arena district - which isn't a great place, though it's not any gang-infested ghetto either. It's okay-ish. Close to Mission Bay parks and beaches. You won't have any airport noise to speak of.

Ocean Beach itself, is southwest of the Arena area. I love OB. It's funky. I'm funky. Works for me. But also can be quite foggy at times of the year. Ocean winds blow sand around the streets a lot over there too. When there's a blow and rain it can flood some of the streets and be inconvenient for a day or two. By the time you get to that side of the Loma ridge in OB the aircraft noise is pretty minimal in my opinion. Then again, I was Navy aircrew so ...
Thanks. Interesting. Yelp reviews for the place I am considering complained about airplane noise. Since I am a light sleeper, I am concerned. Also, UCSD is a roughly 25 min commute from this place. Another factor to consider. I wonder if I will be better off renting at neighborhoods closer to UCSD - university city or PB?

Old 05-17-2016, 06:35 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Thanks. Interesting. Yelp reviews for the place I am considering complained about airplane noise. Since I am a light sleeper, I am concerned. Also, UCSD is a roughly 25 min commute from this place. Another factor to consider. I wonder if I will be better off renting at neighborhoods closer to UCSD - university city or PB?
Hmmm. I'm a bit surprised airplane noise made that review as a negative issue. It's near the normal flight path, but the aircraft are at enough altitude by that point that I'd consider it similar to the background level of arterial traffic noise in a house a block or two away from a major street. You'll hear it but it's not shaking the place. wouldn't even wake me. But then, as I said, I was Navy aircrew for many years and live on my boat part time right at the end of the airport runway in the MCRD marina and out on Shelter Island nearby. The jet roar is deafening there, yes. Flights take off in clusters about every 20 - 30 minutes starting about 6:30 am until 10 pm. No flights later at night by ordinance. At the marina all conversation has to stop for 10 or 15 seconds for launching aircraft. We call it "the Point Loma Pause". The aircraft then climb steeply over the ridge and the first mile maybe of that path will feel and hear the roar. Your identified location is off the direct path and far enough out that shouldn't be a big deal.

I don't know how it would bother anybody.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:24 AM

50,273 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hmmm. I'm a bit surprised airplane noise made that review as a negative issue. It's near the normal flight path, but the aircraft are at enough altitude by that point that I'd consider it similar to the background level of arterial traffic noise in a house a block or two away from a major street. You'll hear it but it's not shaking the place. wouldn't even wake me. But then, as I said, I was Navy aircrew for many years and live on my boat part time right at the end of the airport runway in the MCRD marina and out on Shelter Island nearby. The jet roar is deafening there, yes. Flights take off in clusters about every 20 - 30 minutes starting about 6:30 am until 10 pm. No flights later at night by ordinance. At the marina all conversation has to stop for 10 or 15 seconds for launching aircraft. We call it "the Point Loma Pause". The aircraft then climb steeply over the ridge and the first mile maybe of that path will feel and hear the roar. Your identified location is off the direct path and far enough out that shouldn't be a big deal.

I don't know how it would bother anybody.
You in the MCRD marina? If so our boat was slipped by yours for many a year. We were on the outside down near the inflatables with the fitty cals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego