Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:25 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times

Advertisements

I always hear (and despise) non-locals complaining about San Diegan's not knowing how to drive when it rains and acting like the world is over. The fact of the matter is that it rains so infrequently here, that when we do get rain, the roads are super slick, so there are all sorts of accidents.

Most of the bad drivers I've seen in SD are non locals (read ZONIES and Mas$holes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 12:02 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Where are M*******s from ?

Old 08-05-2016, 07:46 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Where are M*******s from ?
Massachusetts. They deserve their name (I chalk it up to being frustrated and broken from having to drive on Boston's streets that are constructed off of cow paths ).

Old 08-05-2016, 07:50 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I always hear (and despise) non-locals complaining about San Diegan's not knowing how to drive when it rains and acting like the world is over. The fact of the matter is that it rains so infrequently here, that when we do get rain, the roads are super slick, so there are all sorts of accidents.
That's certainly part of it, but it's also San Diegans not being able to handle it and that San Diegans don't buy new tires often enough. If it was just the slipperiness of the roads, everyone should be equally affected, but I've never had problems with driving in the rain in San Diego. Part is my experience in it; part of it is I don't drive with bald tires!

Old 08-15-2016, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 14,131 times
I can definitely noticed the average speed difference between San Diego and Los Angeles. Seems like north of Camp Pendleton, the pace picks up (when its not bumper to bumper anyway).

Old 08-15-2016, 10:34 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:

Most of the bad drivers I've seen in SD are non locals (read ZONIES and Mas$holes)
You would think a ma$$hole or another fly over state transplant would have a better feel for driving in the rain snow due to having multiple opportunities over the years. So I'd assume the experience would make you better or net you a few more lessons learned opportunities than say a lifelong Solana Beach resident. You would think and if I had to guess its probably right.

I like to drive faster but that stops when there is rain on the road. I see too many people maintain their typical speed, tailgate and continue to not use turn signals use their high beams and blind other drivers in the rain. These are usually forgivable actions on a sunny day.

There is different braking in the rain and snow. In heavy snow if you break normally you can slide right off the road

Old 02-28-2017, 10:46 PM

84 posts, read 199,778 times
Texting and driving needs to stop immediately.

In addition, those that choose to sit still when the traffic signal turns green please pay attention.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:32 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:

This is very true. Out of state transplants don't realize how slick the roads in SD (and CA in general) can be with the rain because how long SD can go without rain (easily up to 6 months) and between rainstorms. They're not used to that dry season build up of oil and whatnot on the roads and think they can drive like a typical east coast/Midwest rainstorm. SD just has a crazy mix of "know it all" bad weather drivers from somewhere else who don't get how slick roads can be at first and typical native/long-time Californians who use more caution in bad weather.

I also agree about drivers just not being exposed to rain infrequently. Who cares if they aren't good drivers in the rain when it only rains 10-15% of the time? But during wetter years when it rains more often I noticed drivers overall adjusted fine to driving in the rain after the first few storms.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:12 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This is very true. Out of state transplants don't realize how slick the roads in SD (and CA in general) can be with the rain because how long SD can go without rain (easily up to 6 months) and between rainstorms. They're not used to that dry season build up of oil and whatnot on the roads and think they can drive like a typical east coast/Midwest rainstorm. SD just has a crazy mix of "know it all" bad weather drivers from somewhere else who don't get how slick roads can be at first and typical native/long-time Californians who use more caution in bad weather.

I also agree about drivers just not being exposed to rain infrequently. Who cares if they aren't good drivers in the rain when it only rains 10-15% of the time? But during wetter years when it rains more often I noticed drivers overall adjusted fine to driving in the rain after the first few storms.

Weather plays a small part...
But Lots of folks natives or non-natives (who can tell) that have no concept of braking distance, they don't use turn signals (who cares because the police aren't there) and they cut in front of folks at the last minute. They ride slowly in the far left lane and cause people to pass on the right instead of the left. Lots of this stuff going on in our roads. On a dry road this is dangerous, on a slick road it just gets worse.

This is magnified especially between 7am-9am and 4-6pm when there are more cars on the road. The huge issue is infrastructure related- public transit stinks and are roads are crowded we are at about 150% capacity. So obnoxious behaviors become a bigger risks.

I think most non natives are mindful of pitfalls even oil build up...I didn't think you capture all outsiders as they deal with black ice and as a precaution lots of folks change their tires to fit the seasons.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
This is funny. On almost every State thread we will find posts saying the drivers in this State are the worst in the Nation.

The reality is that most people are lousy drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego