Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 PM

782 posts, read 760,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post

There are really no "great" restaurants in San Diego. Very good yes but not great.
A fly swatter will get more attention from others than the average citizen.
Agree, though we have only been here over a year and have not seen or tried everything, overall there are some good places, some cuisines really suffer here or do not exist period, if they do they are not up to our East Coast standards.

Quote:

Great selection of organic foods here and a commitment to it by Vons
There is a many options to buy organics, but I am not a big fan of Von's I think their prices are way too high.

Quote:

There was the time a man driving past us the wrong way in a parking lot almost clipped up while we were walking so I kicked his car and instead of apologizing he wanted to fight me.
We moved here from SoFla, so to us this is nothing new, if you want aggresive, mean and ready to punch you in the face or run you over, visit SoFla sometime and try to cross the street, where yielding to pedestrians is a state law but nobody has the patience.

Quote:

Medical services = get ready to wait.
From our experience, so far regular Dr. Appts with Kaiser, Eye and Dental are not too bad in terms of a wait. Compared to SoFla it would take often 2 months or more to get a Dentist Appt with our Dentist.

Quote:

More illegal aliens walking around going to school, using health care services paying nothing and bitching about it than I ever imagined. (inappropriate)
I think this exist all over, not just people who are perceived to be "illegals" but lazy Americans as well, I saw this back East in my native state of PA which has among the best Welfare Systems around. I also saw a guy here at Sprouts when standing in line, buying groceries with a EBT card, got cash back somehow which I thought was not possible.

Quote:

Best freeways of any major city.

Not bad, but not the best I experienced from my travels and living in three other states prior. The roads around here are a mix of good and awful, pot holes and worn out washboard decaying pavement. Reminds me of the Northeast in the Spring.

Quote:

Cops are appropriate.
I rarely if ever see any Cops, not the norm in SoFla or other places we lived, I suppose that's a good sign?

Quote:

People are getting angrier more aggressive on the roads (not appropriate).
I found the direct opposite so far, while there are some brainless impatient idiots, nothing has yet matched a daily drive in SoFla which is literally living hell.

Quote:

There was the time that my sports car blew a tire at 1-15 and 163 going 75mph and the car careened across 5 lanes and was thrown off the shoulder. 1 person stopped to see if I was ok.
You were speeding, instant karma? Count yourself lucky and anyone else you did not hit, regardless if 1 person stopped or none.

Quote:

The Discount Tire guy lied about the damage said the car was safe to drive.It took 1 month and $3k to repair the damage. I met him later with his manager. (they were both appropriate...and really did not give a **** about me)
Is that a San Diego thing or could happen anywhere thing? I think anywhere fits the bill, I took my new car to a tire shop once to get a flat fixed, saw the carefree tech lift the car up in the air and remove the wheel and dropped it face down from around 5 feet on to the dirty concrete, subsequentially marring the surface, told the Manager about it and he said he can send it out to be refinished at no charge but it will take 2 weeks.

Also left a garage once upon a time and the tech did not torque down the left front wheel bolts down, went around a turn and it felt like the wheel was about to fall off, luckily I was only going 25 through city traffic and did not get on the freeway. I have lot's of other stories with car service and garages giving me or my wife unsafe vehicles that were supposedly "repaired" or safe to drive and they were not, but that's another topic.

Best of luck in Seattle, never been there but we are planning a visit sometime soon. We are not sure if we will be staying here for the long term, it's still unknown? I know we would never move to the PNW due to the weather and lack of Sunshine. We still have not adjusted to living here from SoFla, though the weather has been nice the past few days, not looking forward to May Grey, June Gloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 12:25 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,536,156 times
Quote:
And guess what.....you can apply for and retain a weapon legally.

Yes, and a Concealed Pistol License is fairly easy & quick to obtain if you don't have a criminal or psychiatric history & costs just $50. Welcome to Washington, we've had an intense winter!

But you will sometimes miss San Diego, especially around January. I sure do.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:43 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,026,858 times
Quote:
So....those who've read my posts know that San Diego and I have a volatile relationship. Now that we are going North I wanted to remember the good the bad and the ugly in no particular order.

There was the time a man driving past us the wrong way in a parking lot almost clipped up while we were walking so I kicked his car and instead of apologizing he wanted to fight me.

Thanks for the memories.
You kicked some d-bag's car and you were surprised he wanted to fight you?

Old 03-11-2017, 05:32 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,119,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
You kicked some d-bag's car and you were surprised he wanted to fight you?
It was actually a new Lexus SUV and yes I was hoping he would apologize for coming so close to us. Cuz he was bigger than me I toned it down when he told me to "kick my car again" and just said "Well boy bring that POS down here and I will". A few strong words later he retired.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:12 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,808,828 times
Bye Felicia.

No kidding here.... good luck.

I share your road angst. I think we have more than our fair share of unskilled drivers but we have aggravating circumstances - overcrowding, no police presence to enforce traffic violations, necessity for some folks to use the highways as we lack a traditional grid. I can't imagine some of my older relatives driving here on the highways but they would have to in order to get around. Anyway I don't want to get the "drivers are just as awful everywhere else" folks on me.

Spot on with the food.

As shocking as it is to comprehend for some folks- SD is not for everyone.
SD is overpopulated and developers countinue to develop and construction is busy as ever.

I still find SD one of the best places to keep me busy.
Best of Luck

Old 03-11-2017, 09:58 AM

50,347 posts, read 47,099,157 times
San Diego county is supposed to grow by another million people by 2050.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:39 AM

782 posts, read 760,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
San Diego county is supposed to grow by another million people by 2050.
IF we avoid WWIII otherwise it will decrease by 4 million.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:57 PM

905 posts, read 1,104,115 times
Good luck in Seattle, and hope it works out for you.

Funny enough, I'm currently contemplating making the opposite move next year (Here in Seattle, but wanting to leave).

Old 03-12-2017, 05:05 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,577,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Funny enough, I'm currently contemplating making the opposite move next year (Here in Seattle, but wanting to leave).
Choose carefully. I lived in San Diego for a long time, been all over the United States, and now we have a place in the PNW. San Diego certainly is a nice place to live.

But the Seattle-metro area is cheaper, and parts of Washington can save you a fortune. The no-income tax is king if you are an earner. Washington energy prices are markedly lower, even in Seattle (our SDGE bill was quadruple what we pay in WA, and our place in San Diego was half the size). Seattle's food is better; Portland food and dining is vastly superior to San Diego. Yeah, San Diego weather and sun can't be beat, and that counts for a lot -- but you pay dearly for it.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:37 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,119,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Choose carefully. I lived in San Diego for a long time, been all over the United States, and now we have a place in the PNW. San Diego certainly is a nice place to live.

But the Seattle-metro area is cheaper, and parts of Washington can save you a fortune. The no-income tax is king if you are an earner. Washington energy prices are markedly lower, even in Seattle (our SDGE bill was quadruple what we pay in WA, and our place in San Diego was half the size). Seattle's food is better; Portland food and dining is vastly superior to San Diego. Yeah, San Diego weather and sun can't be beat, and that counts for a lot -- but you pay dearly for it.
From your thoughts to my bride's ears. I completely agree. This is a major reason. I would not mind so much the rude drivers, the coolness of other people or even the potholes. But then I factor in the costs of living here and it's simply not worth it as it adds stress to everyone. $3k for a small condo lease? SDGE the next richest hand in town second only to housing. It's ridiculous. We were on Whidbey Island at Christopher's Restaurant and we were offered the special. 2 steaks 2 salads clam chowder (seriously amazing) two sides and desert. $48.00 for 2. Seattle oyster bars $1 a pop during happy hour. Hundreds of small boîtes restaurants with craft beers, freebies and the people are friendly. We have not experienced the Seattle "freeze" and wouldn't bother with it if we saw it. Cabs are cheaper, food is cheaper, power is cheaper and 10% of your money stays in your pocket because the state is smart and knows how to get it in other ways and means. Sure car registration, the train and the Ferries all are not cheap but they get you there on roads which are built to withstand rain and snow. Imagine finding a home 2 blocks from the water 2100 square feet on an acre for $325,000.00.

If you hate rain, or cold temps, or dark days stay here is my advice. But I will tell. It makes sense for us. I will miss the kind people, the warmth at noon before it gets blistering, my family (it's a 2 hour flight to Seatac) but for at my age it's the reasonable option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego