Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 07:35 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Makes sense. One way to deal with it is moving your vacations to the winter. You save a lot of money, a lot of time, and a lot of aggravation if you can travel when most other families can't. We generally take one or two vacations a year, and we go when other people aren't. Can't stand traveling in summer with all the screaming breeder brats. Hence, after their kids have returned to school in January, a week or two later we are jetting off to someplace sunny and warm for at least one of our trips.

January traveling also means the savings can be massive; property rentals and flights can be half (or even more) of what you would pay during summer high season. By the time we get back in late January or early February, spring is pretty close. And the cost is reasonable, even for high-priced locales like Hawaii. So much so that most people probably could afford two nice trips in the off season for the price of one summer vacation. We had this in mind when we moved up here, as we always travel when others cannot. So the PNW can be the perfect setup for people like us who want to do things on a schedule opposite the majority of the population. Spring, summer and fall in the PNW are beautiful, we love staying put during this time.
We visited two years in February and March and while it was raining (last year during a wind storm on Whidbey) we enjoyed it. It was informative to see how the Island responded. Trees down power lines down. We found a dry spot at Greenbank Farm with only one other couple there. A cup of tomato soup hot chocolate and a grilled cheese sand to perfection. Outside we were blown every which way but never felt unsafe or worried. We visited next in October on a sunny spectacular day could not believe how sweet the air was. Came up for a job interview at that point and Baby toured the rest of the Island on her own. She noted how slow the pace of life was but did not mind all that much. I think Whidbey goes to bed around 7pm and wakes up around 10am. Blue sky gives way to clouds and rain and vice versa. I was born on an island and like that feel. Ferries are no problem for me and the car travels to Seattle for work without a hitch I would imagine. 3 days per week.

We arrive in Mid to late April and are going to give it a year. 25 years ago I got an RN license and there were few jobs if any to be had. Now pick up a ringing phone and they probably want an RN to help so travel for work is essentially solved.

We appreciate your perspectives, your likes and dislikes and read your posts together...it's helping get us prepared......=)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:13 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,941,579 times
Which island did you choose to move to ?

Old 03-13-2017, 09:30 AM

587 posts, read 444,361 times
Best of luck to you. I think a change of where you live can be a very good thing!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:18 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
It was actually a new Lexus SUV and yes I was hoping he would apologize for coming so close to us. Cuz he was bigger than me I toned it down when he told me to "kick my car again" and just said "Well boy bring that POS down here and I will". A few strong words later he retired.
I had to come back to this thread. Wife and kid went in for ice cream, I stayed in our new SUV. I see this guy come out of a place and starts to get into the car next to ours then I remember him parking and going in earlier. Next, he rocks our rig so hard I about dropped my phone. I turn, he looks and sees someone in the car and tries to get into his. I open the door and yell,"Was that F***ing necessary?" At first he says "sorry" then angrily "you are parked too close". We were dead center in the middle. I took a pic of his plate and yelled at him he'll hear from our insurance but I wanted to put a boot into his headlight.

I can't believe what a clown that guy was.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:11 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,558,468 times
Congrats on the Move AADAD
Truth be told "San Diego is not all what its cracked up to be anymore, And i was born here.
The examples that Angry, and you posted are one of the reasons why. People are taking whats going on in there own lives and projecting it on everyone else.
Anyways, good luck and up date us in this thread from time to time to let us know how you're doing
Youwillbebackinaweek

Old 03-13-2017, 03:24 PM

119 posts, read 156,316 times
You'll last 2 years tops before you're dying to come back to So Cal. That weather in the Northwest in brutal.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:52 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,941,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
You'll last 2 years tops before you're dying to come back to So Cal. That weather in the Northwest in brutal.
Did you mean Northeast or Northwest

Old 03-13-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Which island did you choose to move to ?
Whidbey

Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I had to come back to this thread. Wife and kid went in for ice cream, I stayed in our new SUV. I see this guy come out of a place and starts to get into the car next to ours then I remember him parking and going in earlier. Next, he rocks our rig so hard I about dropped my phone. I turn, he looks and sees someone in the car and tries to get into his. I open the door and yell,"Was that F***ing necessary?" At first he says "sorry" then angrily "you are parked too close". We were dead center in the middle. I took a pic of his plate and yelled at him he'll hear from our insurance but I wanted to put a boot into his headlight.

I can't believe what a clown that guy was.
Exactly. I got a pm blaming me for kicking the guys car. what a bunch of frickin' wimps.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:54 PM

102,223 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
What makes you think that moving to Seattle will improve the quality of your life?
He's leaving SD for.... SEATTLE??!!

OP, why? WHY?????

Your QOL will not improve, except for your illegal aliens issue. Nonexistent in Sea.

So, tell us: what cool job is taking you to Seattle? Something at the UW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego