Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 02:14 PM

33 posts, read 84,448 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving to the area soon and love to be outdoors. I run and hike. I would prefer living in the beach areas, but since I travel a great deal and am gone for weeks at a time, everyone says my car will most likely be broken into. So then the next option is to be near water, like a lake, or near some good hiking areas.

I would like to keep rent around 1400 if possible. Any suggestions on areas that might meet that or if there are beach areas that might be safe for me to leave my car, please let me know.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 03:33 PM

936 posts, read 3,192,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors123 View Post
Hi, I will be moving to the area soon and love to be outdoors. I run and hike. I would prefer living in the beach areas, but since I travel a great deal and am gone for weeks at a time, everyone says my car will most likely be broken into. So then the next option is to be near water, like a lake, or near some good hiking areas.

I would like to keep rent around 1400 if possible. Any suggestions on areas that might meet that or if there are beach areas that might be safe for me to leave my car, please let me know.

thanks
at 1400$, you can live in pacific, mission, or ocean beach -- an apartment that is. all those towns are cool. pacific is more if you are young, hip and like to party and socialize. mission beach is kind of the same, actually, and now that i think of is, ocean beach is too but is the most laid back of the 3. check out mission valley too; it might be too urban for outdoor activities but you can still jog. all these areas are very safe.

by the way, all 3 of those beach towns i mentioned TONS of hiking trails, boardwalks, and outdoor activities -- among the best in the world.

i would love to tell you more, but i gotta go. a couple more things before i go, there aren't really that many appealing lakes in san diego. you can check out otay lakes which is in east chula vista and you can also hike in mission trails. many more areas to talk about but let me know if you need more help!

Old 03-07-2008, 04:41 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,578,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
at 1400$, you can live in pacific, mission, or ocean beach -- an apartment that is. all those towns are cool. pacific is more if you are young, hip and like to party and socialize. mission beach is kind of the same, actually, and now that i think of is, ocean beach is too but is the most laid back of the 3. check out mission valley too; it might be too urban for outdoor activities but you can still jog. all these areas are very safe.

by the way, all 3 of those beach towns i mentioned TONS of hiking trails, boardwalks, and outdoor activities -- among the best in the world.

i would love to tell you more, but i gotta go. a couple more things before i go, there aren't really that many appealing lakes in san diego. you can check out otay lakes which is in east chula vista and you can also hike in mission trails. many more areas to talk about but let me know if you need more help!
You can rent out Mission Valley for 14?I live in Chula Vista in a 2 and 2 apartment for 1320.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:16 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
The hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, running, skateboarding, surfing, backpacking options are limitless. The spots closest-in to town get more crowded, but drive 20 minutes into the foothills and you can have the whole place to yourself.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,982 times
Honeslty I wouldn't get too concerned about your car.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:11 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times
Mission Trails Park is a great urban park in the middle of the city that has over 40 miles of hiking trails.

And when you've conquered all of it trails, there's plenty more to choose from. Here's a link to other popular trails in and around the Metro LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near San Diego, California

Old 03-08-2008, 11:39 AM

8 posts, read 38,776 times
Jerry Schad has been writing about hiking in San Diego and SoCal for several decades. I highly recommend his book "Afoot And Afield in San Diego". Here's a link to it:
Amazon.com: Afoot & Afield San Diego County: A Comprehensive Hiking Guide: Jerry Schad: Books

He also writes a weekly column in the San Diego Reader, at:
San Diego Reader | Roam-O-Rama

San Diego county has some of the best and most diverse hiking in the country. These two resources describe hundreds of hikes in the coastal areas, mountains, and desert. Enjoy!

Chris

Old 03-08-2008, 11:41 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinTurf View Post
San Diego county has some of the best and most diverse hiking in the country. These two resources describe hundreds of hikes in the coastal areas, mountains, and desert. Enjoy!
I totally agree with you. Today, I went to Anza-Borrego to see the wildflowers, via Julian and Lake Cuyamaca. Absolutely beautiful. I'll be posting some photos in the photothread soon.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:11 PM

87 posts, read 476,330 times
I'm all, "Chollas Lake!!" LOL

Old 03-10-2008, 07:52 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTERSHOCK View Post
I'm all, "Chollas Lake!!" LOL
Hah just watch out for fools with pit bulls off the leash. That's actually a pretty nice park during the daytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego