Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 05:12 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,748,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
Ok so my thoughts on Florida!

Very very clean!! The roads, everything outside, it all looked clean and fresh!!! That was the first thing I noticed driving around from sarasota to Orlando to Jacksonville.

Spacious roads and easy driving!!

Where are all the homeless at?!! It was so nice to not see them every block.

The weather was great! I think San Diego may be a little too chilly for me most of the year.

I will definitely be checking out Jacksonville again (did not get to see enough) and Pensacola as well! Or somewhere in north Florida.
So man you really want like desolate I think. Check out Destin, I hear that's nice. And I don't think it's touristy. I think you could avoid touristy areas near the beach by just living away from the main part. New Smyrna beach is busy, but it doesn't feel touristy. Or you could live south of St. Augustine. I think I know what you're looking for though, like a little bit of vibe, but not a touristy vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 05:13 PM

354 posts, read 385,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
So man you really want like desolate I think. Check out Destin, I hear that's nice. And I don't think it's touristy. I think you could avoid touristy areas near the beach by just living away from the main part. New Smyrna beach is busy, but it doesn't feel touristy. Or you could live south of St. Augustine. I think I know what you're looking for though, like a little bit of vibe, but not a touristy vibe.
Yes!! I will have to check out these places! I want a vibe but not a touristy vibe for sure!!

Old 04-28-2018, 05:26 PM

Ok THOUGHTS ON SAVANNAH:
Absolutely LOVE Savannah. Right now this is my top contender though I need to visit a few more times and determine how the job market is.

Loved the overall vibe of the city, how small it felt to me, and how gorgeous it was!!! Soooooo charming and I actually thought it was quite trendy. (Most likely something to do with SCAD being in the mix!)

Easy to navigate, plenty to do, and a downtown that was so nice and relaxing and had enough to see.

Cant wait to be back!!!

THOUGHTS ON CHARLESTON:
Charleston was the place I thought I would really love but I overall felt "meh" about. I stayed in West Ashley but went to several places downtown and also sullivans island and I felt it was overrun with tourists and people in general.

I also saw tonssssss of young women here but hardly any males. I cant have this lol

Savannah beats out Charleston by a landslide but I would be open to coming back to check things out again. Everyone says savannah and Charleston are so similar but I felt two very different ways about Charleston.

Also hated seeing the horse drawn carriages downtown and the almost "glorification" of plantations/slave quarters.

Overall, I would need to check into the mentality of the south a bit more because I dont want to end up somewhere where the viewpoint is very far off from mine. Touring a plantation disgusted me, and the book in the book shop entitled, "you'll thank me later for this...how to be the perfect southern mother" was enough to make me want to exit immediately lol. It was a comical book (I presume) but so superficial and not aligned whatsoever with my values. Just an isolated incident but it left a bad taste in my mouth!!

I realize Savannah probably has some of the same things I didn't like about Charleston but my experience seemed much different!!!

Going to visit Austin TX and north Carolina as my next steps!

Might even check out Colorado too sometime this year and also going to need to see more of northern Florida this winter!

Old 04-29-2018, 12:35 PM

17 posts, read 13,929 times
Loving this thread. Although I am from NJ and I don't like Florida due to the humidity and bugs! We are moving to California to get away from that and get away from this cold.
I think you may love NC, but it's not as hot as you would like. Austin may be your best bet though!

Old 04-30-2018, 07:06 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,924 times
Quote:
Ok THOUGHTS ON SAVANNAH:
Absolutely LOVE Savannah. Right now this is my top contender though I need to visit a few more times and determine how the job market is.

Loved the overall vibe of the city, how small it felt to me, and how gorgeous it was!!! Soooooo charming and I actually thought it was quite trendy. (Most likely something to do with SCAD being in the mix!)

Easy to navigate, plenty to do, and a downtown that was so nice and relaxing and had enough to see.

Cant wait to be back!!!

THOUGHTS ON CHARLESTON:
Charleston was the place I thought I would really love but I overall felt "meh" about. I stayed in West Ashley but went to several places downtown and also sullivans island and I felt it was overrun with tourists and people in general.

I also saw tonssssss of young women here but hardly any males. I cant have this lol

Savannah beats out Charleston by a landslide but I would be open to coming back to check things out again. Everyone says savannah and Charleston are so similar but I felt two very different ways about Charleston.

Also hated seeing the horse drawn carriages downtown and the almost "glorification" of plantations/slave quarters.

Overall, I would need to check into the mentality of the south a bit more because I dont want to end up somewhere where the viewpoint is very far off from mine. Touring a plantation disgusted me, and the book in the book shop entitled, "you'll thank me later for this...how to be the perfect southern mother" was enough to make me want to exit immediately lol. It was a comical book (I presume) but so superficial and not aligned whatsoever with my values. Just an isolated incident but it left a bad taste in my mouth!!

I realize Savannah probably has some of the same things I didn't like about Charleston but my experience seemed much different!!!

Going to visit Austin TX and north Carolina as my next steps!

Might even check out Colorado too sometime this year and also going to need to see more of northern Florida this winter!
I think you'll find the southern culture a little too much to take. They have some unspokens that are hard to stomach. Don't let Savannah fool you and definitely avoid the Carolinas. You can escape it in FL for the most part, but the other states....not so much.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:15 AM

I have some connections in Austin Tx and Denver Colorado so getting a job is almost guaranteed. Are there any other cities in Texas I should check out? Corpus christi or san antonio??

Savannah was just so CHARMING and gorgeous, I have no idea how I will find a place similar in that regard. Small town feel with having access to the city amenities.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:24 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,748,933 times
Quote:
I have some connections in Austin Tx and Denver Colorado so getting a job is almost guaranteed. Are there any other cities in Texas I should check out? Corpus christi or san antonio??

Savannah was just so CHARMING and gorgeous, I have no idea how I will find a place similar in that regard. Small town feel with having access to the city amenities.
I liked Savannah a lot, but it also felt run down and kinda poor to me. Orlando has plenty of crappy neighborhoods, but there was a different feel about them in Savannah, maybe because they were so close to the downtown area. I can't put my finger on it. It is cute though, and they support drinking in public, if you're into that.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:36 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
You might want to look into Ft. Worth or Nashville.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:42 PM

1,082 posts, read 833,924 times
Quote:

San Antonio is a great city, but it was deemed "2nd in the nation of cities for college grads to move to". You may like that...it turned me away. The traffic is something to be dealt with an on the daily. You can look at Boerne or Bandera though and the Hill Country has a lot to offer a young person. Corpus is a nicecity,but HUMID and buggy. I have been to both and spent time in both. I'd pick SA if it wasn't for my current job in cattle ranching. For that, you have to be int he middle of nowhere.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:15 AM

Does boulder, co fit well with my requirements?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego