Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 09:58 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times

Advertisements

FLL is a little too suburban for me...not as exciting as Miami, or as you call it--laid back...agree about the Brightline--will be a definite asset once it connects Miami (shortly)...also (currently) connects FLL to West Palm Beach. There is talk they might expand it to Orlando as well.

https://gobrightline.com/

Brightline tweaks train schedule for Miami addition - Sun Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
What about Fort Lauderdale? It has a San Diego type of vibe and is more laid back than Miami, and its close enough to MIA to where you can go there any time. SoFL will get better once the Brightline train expands to Miami and Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 10:04 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
As I'm browsing This Thread, my mind immediately wanders to Sacramento. Has anyone just brought that up yet? I realize it's still in California, so you'll still pay our high taxes, but despite the fact that our state government is located there, it's not as liberal as Coastal California, and it checks off a lot of the boxes on the list. Noticeably more affordable housing, access to outdoor recreation at beautiful nearby reservoirs and, of course, Lake Tahoe in the Sierra Nevada mountains, less traffic, a bunch of great walkable neighborhoods in the older historic sections of town, and of course, a perfect climate. The three winter months get more rain than Southern California, but the remaining 9 months are really sunny, and the summer dry season is bone dry. Temperatures are comparable to Temecula, maybe a little cooler in the winter but noticeably wilder than the Carolinas. You won't worry about snow or ice storms, and there are still plenty of palm trees and orange trees as you would expect in California.

A lot of people say that Sacramento is a Midwestern City plopped down in California Central Valley, and it has that sort of pace and feel.
This is actually a great recommendation. Everything you said about the weather is true, I don’t know about it being a perfect climate compared to here, but I’d take it in a heartbeat over every other place mentioned in this thread. Don’t forget you’re about an hour to Napa/Sonoma valley, and 2 hours from San Francisco as well. I spent a lot of time there visiting family growing up and found it boring as a kid, but could appreciate now as an adult.

I haven’t been in years, but it definitely had a different vibe than it’s costal neighbors in the Bay Area, or down here. Calling it a midwestern city plooped down in the Central Valley is pretty accurate.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:39 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Maybe I’m wrong but I got the impression that the OP was looking for something different, more of an adventure for a few years, which wouldn’t exactly describe Sacramento. Besides, she not a fan of California politics and policies.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:10 PM

354 posts, read 385,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Maybe I’m wrong but I got the impression that the OP was looking for something different, more of an adventure for a few years, which wouldn’t exactly describe Sacramento. Besides, she not a fan of California politics and policies.
Yes, you are correct loveautumn!! I am ready for a change of pace and a change of political environment LOL

I have a feeling I would love Sacramento but it doesnt check the box of being out of California and closer to my family/friends.

North and south Carolina are looking really good!!

Old 05-08-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Asheville is more of a retirement city than Greenville.

Greenville has a ton of young people and it has a balance of all ages. It has a large job market.

Greenville meets the OP's criteria. THere are 3 fantastic lakes nearby, Hartwell, Jocasee and Keowee at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Greenville is a little cooler than Charleston because it is near 1000 feet above sea level.
This is great news!! Thanks for your input. I am going to plan a trip there this summer.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Rain is a part of life outside of SoCal with respect to the Southeast and Northeast, I'm a native of PA, lived in GA (Atlanta) and Florida (South Florida) and now CA and nothing is really comparable if you look at the weather, topography and etc. Your wish list pretty much cancels out most of the US, with exception Florida anything south of Frostproof, but that would be South Florida and I would highly recommend NOT moving there, as you while the beaches are not as crowded and easily accessible, it's very overpopulated and people are rude on average and employers, in general, are terrible and pay way below market in relation to the very high COL.

Other parts of FL are more affordable but the metro areas on a whole are becoming more pricy and traffic is just plain bad in these areas.

As well when you move to areas that are less affluent and/or not so cultured, many of the things you desire will be rare if not non-existant, depends on the city and area, not uncommon to end up someplace where people are not health concious as here, I have seen it and experienced it all over, but I have found some areas to be lacking these things.
I have no problem with rain. I actually love rain!! I just wouldn't be okay with gloomy rain all the time, which is what I picture when I hear Seattle or Washington.

North Florida is a possibility but I know nothing of the job market and I haven't been anywhere NON tourist related so I am not really sure.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:58 PM

782 posts, read 759,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Miami is definitely crowded and I agree I've heard employers don't pay well. But I don't think you've even considered Miami because of the crowds. Although you might look at Delrey Beach. One guy I know who lives in Sarasota said it's the only other place in Florida he'd live.

When I moved I was ok with the rain. I was tired of seeing things brown and dry everywhere and being scolded by the local and state government about having to conserve water. At least in Florida, water is plentiful.

I also liked Greenville when I visited. it was a nice town. I can't really describe it, but I did not feel super welcome there and the people were a bit too "goth" for me in general. Something just felt "off".
I lived near Delray and worked in Delray prior, it has a nice downtown and beach, but that's about it, it's all part of the Miami MSA, so the traffic, COL and housing are quite expensive and to boot, jobs don't pay enough to afford it, unless you are in one of a small handful of professions.

Everyone on here keeps comparing San Diego or parts of San Diego County with South Florida, having lived there for a long time I can say there is no similarity, there is a beach, palm trees and that's about it, totally different vibe, climate and way of life. Orange County probably is closer to South Florida in terms of high end dining, shopping and etc. Lot's of money in both places, but most there brought it from elsewhere.

Greenville has a nice downtown indeed, been there a few times. The investment with BMW nearby is big, much change there in the past 15 to 20 years. I lived in Atlanta, so I tried the Southeast, not sure I'd do it again, had a tough time with Allergies due to all the Pine Pollen and jobs are hit or miss.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:00 AM

782 posts, read 759,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
What about Fort Lauderdale? It has a San Diego type of vibe and is more laid back than Miami, and its close enough to MIA to where you can go there any time. SoFL will get better once the Brightline train expands to Miami and Orlando.
Brightline is overblown and nobody is riding it, it's not Coaster or Metrolink, they had Tri-Rail there for years and it wasn't used too often. You can drive to Orlando in 2.5 hours from West Palm Beach, the train is not fast enough like what's common in Europe, Japan or China to get between the points.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:45 AM

3,067 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:
Brightline is overblown and nobody is riding it, it's not Coaster or Metrolink, they had Tri-Rail there for years and it wasn't used too often. You can drive to Orlando in 2.5 hours from West Palm Beach, the train is not fast enough like what's common in Europe, Japan or China to get between the points.
When Brightline goes most of the way, I will take it. Currently it just doesn't go far enough. I'd prefer train over driving any day, even if it's a bit slower.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:34 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,554 times
Quote:
I lived near Delray and worked in Delray prior, it has a nice downtown and beach, but that's about it, it's all part of the Miami MSA, so the traffic, COL and housing are quite expensive and to boot, jobs don't pay enough to afford it, unless you are in one of a small handful of professions.

Everyone on here keeps comparing San Diego or parts of San Diego County with South Florida, having lived there for a long time I can say there is no similarity, there is a beach, palm trees and that's about it, totally different vibe, climate and way of life. Orange County probably is closer to South Florida in terms of high end dining, shopping and etc. Lot's of money in both places, but most there brought it from elsewhere.
This is the closest and most correct description of South FL I have seen. No real culture or style that is desireable....just vanilla and very NE influenced. Think Jersey, but warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego