Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:49 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,827 times

Advertisements

I realize there are very materialistic and shallow people in SD. I have encountered them on my short vacations there. However, the city itself is beautiful imo and that's what I'm looking for. I really need a HUGE change of scenery from where I'm at now-which is why I'm looking at SD or Seattle and not some other TX city. Frankly I am too old to associate myself with people that have no care for anything but themselves and their possessions, which is why I am still looking to relocate there in spite of that flaw. I realize it may get to you after awhile, but them I can take comfort in knowing I am nothing like them and I can actually look at myself in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 02:41 PM

7,726 posts, read 1,889,082 times
Yes there are materialistic people here and every other state of the U.S.A. but saying that they are the people you find mostly in San Diego is like saying everyone in Texas is a cowboy.
If you want to find down to earth people here it isn't that hard. You may be looking in the wrong circles. Sure I have met more than my share of the kind of people you are talking about but I don't have them as friends because that isn't me. As my mom use to say "look at your friends and you will see what kind of person you are." There are great people everywhere the others don't bother me because they have no effect on me or who I am, I spend my time with my family and friends and really don't dwell on the materialistic people . Life is to short, and I sure would never let them have an effect on where I live. Good luck to you in wherever you decide to go.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:25 PM

15 posts, read 66,308 times
Most of the people that I have met who have alot of friends are the people who grew up here. Any transplants seem to have the most trouble if they don't adopt the local attitude. Does anyone else see it this way. Just bringing it up to get back to the point of the forum.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 PM

109 posts, read 395,339 times
Default getting back to the topic..... newbie opinions?

Okay, rather than continue fanning the flames of whether people are bitter or not (or whether there's a troll in the house, which is my suspicion), let's get back to the original topic. Funkymonk and Nick, feel free to let other people talk now!

I'm wondering - any happy newbies out there? I'm really excited to try out SD, and I'm not expecting perfection, so I figure I have a chance of being relatively happy. Then again, I've taken my mom's favorite quote of "bloom where you are planted" to heart. :-)

Old 04-08-2008, 03:34 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzicato66 View Post
I'm wondering - any happy newbies out there? I'm really excited to try out SD, and I'm not expecting perfection, so I figure I have a chance of being relatively happy. Then again, I've taken my mom's favorite quote of "bloom where you are planted" to heart. :-)
Listen to mom!

I think a move to any location goes better if you adapt easily. It took me a very short time to adjust and, while things aren't like they are back home (they never are, are they?*lol*), I can appreciate the differences. Why else would you move someplace new, if it's not to try something different?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:55 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
That bad huh? Seattle is another city on my list of choices since it's cheaper. Don't know if it's worth it though
Don't get me wrong, Seattle is an excellent city, but its not for everyone. I might return here when i'm ready to raise a family, but for now I can't handle the weather and the hard to befriend people. The natural beauty here is by far IMO the best in the country though, and there are many funky neighborhoods, excellent skyline, its very clean, very safe for a city its size, etc. If you're looking for a cheap city though it won't be found here. Housing prices are slowling catching up to some places in California, taxes on things like alcohol and cigarettes are some of the highest in the country, food and gas are expensive. For example, i live in a nice, gated apartment in the international district/Chinatown on top of and Asian supermarket/gift shop/import book/cd/dvd store/food court with different resturaunts serving chinese/thai/vietnamese/korean/japanese/american/hawaiian food/hair and makeup salon. however, it does not have air conditioning(I rent a standalone one for $50 a month and it works decently) no pool, no workout center etc etc and my rent is around $1400 a month for a 690 sqf 1 bedroom apartment(thats with parking, which is $125 a month) and the prices are getting higher and higher each time i update my lease. You can get cheaper apartments (i stayed at one on Alki for $840 a month but it was falling apart, parked on the street, etc) but many are old and DO NOT expect air conditioning! Lol some claim thats not a problem, but for someone that is used to AC it can be unbearable.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:51 PM

233 posts, read 885,870 times
I have to agree. If you are looking for someplace like home then why move. I am moving to change my whole lifestyle. I don't want it to be anything like it is at home. My life here is making me physically ill between the weather, the job, the east coast rat race, the rude and obnoxious people, etc. I don't expect things to be blissful but I will be 100% happieer in the sunshine, I couldn't possibly have a worse job (or boss) and SD doesn't have that hectic east coast pace. So yeah, I am looking forward to something totally different from home.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:24 AM

109 posts, read 395,339 times
QT and Deb, thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm right in there with you - I know there are pretentious jerks anywhere (trust me, we have them in Minneapolis by the droves), so you seek out people with similar interests. I find it interesting that everyone I've made contact with in SD (both while there and online) have been extremely informative and friendly. I do think a lot of it is how YOU approach the situation.

I saw it in action a lot when I worked for an airline and would go out to see what happens at the ticket counter and gates. Some people would come up with a HUGE chip on their shoulder, as if they were looking for a fight and fully expected to be treated badly. Others came up and greeted people with an open smile. You tell me which ones would get a better reception?

Anyway, to Deb's point, I fully expect and HOPE that things are different culturally, as well as the changes in climate and environment. That's the fun of it!! Then again, I'm someone who's always sought out new adventures in my home area too (going to ethnic groceries and shopping centers, events, etc). Life's too boring otherwise!!

Maybe some of us need to form a little newbie coffee or exploring club whilst settling in. Any takers?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:18 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzicato66 View Post
Anyway, to Deb's point, I fully expect and HOPE that things are different culturally, as well as the changes in climate and environment. That's the fun of it!! Then again, I'm someone who's always sought out new adventures in my home area too (going to ethnic groceries and shopping centers, events, etc). Life's too boring otherwise!!

Maybe some of us need to form a little newbie coffee or exploring club whilst settling in. Any takers?
Maybe this is the key...if you're an adventurous sort, then you'll get more out of moving to a new place.

Oh, and count me in! I still consider myself a newbie.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:37 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDeb View Post
I have to agree. If you are looking for someplace like home then why move.
So true! I love the people here in my hometown but I am ready for a HUGE change in scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego