Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 10:43 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Yellows are mostly near the kelp or rock structure. La Jolla kelp has a lot more fish. Beware the no fish zones. Go to bdoutdoors.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 08:37 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Ummm, have you ever fought yellowtail before?
Them's the meanest, honory-est, rootin'ist, tootin'ist fighters of the 7 seas. (Sorry, just watched Yosemite Sam.)
NOTHING fights like yellowtail.

Post up pics of your tuna catch (better yet, invite us to your BBQ the next day!)

EDIT~ "Cars onto the beach" in San Diego, ain't happening. This isn't Pismo.

Your best bet is to get a small kayak cart with floatation tires to pull over the sand to get to the water.
Yes, you can actually drive your car onto the beach at La Jolla shores if you are dropping off or picking up a kayak or skiff. Only in a certain part..right off Avenida de la Playa. It is a boat launch by definition run by the City of San Diego. Some people "get lost" and actually drive onto the beach without a boat. Usually out of towners.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Is it net less effort to park near OB pier, haul kayak to beach, and launch from there to fish yellowtail?

No. Don't do that. You will not like the results. That is not a good beach for launching. Launch at La Jolla shores where I told you to launch. The surf is protected by the cove...if you launch elsewhere you will get flipped and lose all your gear.

I kayak fished La Jolla and all of San Diego on Hobie Pro Angler for a long time. I finally quit because of an injury...I also want to take my grandkids fishing. I ended up getting a boat. If you want to catch a yellowtail, PM me and i will put you in on one. I wish I could figure out how to out pictures on this site.

https://www.instagram.com/echo42kp/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNKq_LggdRB/

Last edited by echo42; 06-20-2021 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-20-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
No. Don't do that. You will not like the results. That is not a good beach for launching. Launch at La Jolla shores where I told you to launch. The surf is protected by the cove...if you launch elsewhere you will get flipped and lose all your gear.

I kayak fished La Jolla and all of San Diego on Hobie Pro Angler for a long time. I finally quit because of an injury...I also want to take my grandkids fishing. I ended up getting a boat. If you want to catch a yellowtail, PM me and i will put you in on one. I wish I could figure out how to out pictures on this site.

https://www.instagram.com/echo42kp/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNKq_LggdRB/
That's a big home guard.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:06 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times
My initial plan was to just paddle out to the kelp beds from the La Jolla Shores Beach, ensure I am outside the SMR boundary by rounding the tip of the land, and try my luck there. Is this a good plan? Does that patch of kelp hold yellow tails?

Which La Jolla beach allows cars onto the beach? (for offloading kayak)-sd.jpg

Old 06-20-2021, 10:56 AM

Be very careful near that marine reserve. Those tickets are very expensive.

Old 06-20-2021, 06:06 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Be very careful near that marine reserve. Those tickets are very expensive.
Very much so. It's almost impossible to fish, without GPS now-a-days, thanks to DFG.
The days of going out and dropping a line, are over. You have to know which checker board square you're on, or you may be poaching. And the squares change from year to year. It's the damnedest system anywhere. The saving grace is to go out into International Waters...

Pretty sad State, if you just want to catch dinner...

Old 06-20-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My initial plan was to just paddle out to the kelp beds from the La Jolla Shores Beach, ensure I am outside the SMR boundary by rounding the tip of the land, and try my luck there. Is this a good plan? Does that patch of kelp hold yellow tails?

Attachment 230118
There is an app..."Fish Legal" that will help. You need to make sure you're not in the reserve. There is a 12 story condo that sits right on the point. Once clear that, you are definitely legal. Fish just outside the kelp line in 60-120 feet of water. You need live mackerel, you will need to catch the mackerel on a sabiki rig. You can put it on the bottom or fly line it.

No matter what day you go, there will be dozens of kayakers out there, they will gladly help you.

Also, gear up. you'll need a reel that has about 25lbs of drag and 300 yards of line. A pool rated at about 25lbs and line that is at least 30lbs will be do....fish don't just break your line...they break your heart.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That's a big home guard.
Thanks, he was 39lbs. That was the last fish I caught on my kayak back in March. I sold the kayak, I just picked up a Parker 1801.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:38 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times
I found this "Shell Beach" that looks like an even more desirable launch spot..... It is already 1300' beyond the edge of the SMR (safe), and has a concrete stair path down to the shore (easy access). Shore has patches of sand; not sure if rocky in the water but doesn't look like any problem...

Is there any restriction on launching from here? I see some sea lions hanging out at adjacent sand beaches..... Or would it disturb other beach goers to launch kayak from here?

Which La Jolla beach allows cars onto the beach? (for offloading kayak)-sd2.jpg

Which La Jolla beach allows cars onto the beach? (for offloading kayak)-sd3.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: