Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2021, 06:28 AM

480 posts, read 418,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I agree that SD is often too chilly. And it is kind of annoying that if it's warm in the middle of the day, you still need to bring a sweater everywhere as it will likely be very chilly at night.
This. Very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2021, 06:30 AM

480 posts, read 418,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frac View Post
Do you like Hawaii?
Haven't been there in a long time. It's great to visit but it feels disconnected from the rest of the country though.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:08 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,378 times
Sick of the marine layer that plagues the coastal areas almost year round. Only when the Santa Anas blow is it warm and beautiful. The climate is much nicer about 50 miles inland.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:58 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Sick of the marine layer that plagues the coastal areas almost year round. Only when the Santa Anas blow is it warm and beautiful. The climate is much nicer about 50 miles inland.
Mt temps and even desert temps are getting down into the high 30s already at night.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:12 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Quote:
50?

I think you typed an extra zero.

I live 6 miles inland, and have many more sunny days than directly on the coast.

50 miles inland would be very hot. No thanks.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:22 PM

435 posts, read 453,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
50?

I live 6 miles inland, and have many more sunny days than directly on the coast.

This. I spent years living in the Bird Rock area of La Jolla and as such dealt with the marine layer constantly (although I really like May Grey and June Gloom). However if one wanted to get out of it, you could generally just head a few miles inland to Claremont or Mission Valley and it'd be diminished if not outright gone.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:24 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
50 miles inland puts you at Sunrise Highway. While it IS certainly different than the coast, AND it should be clearer, it can definitely be cooler. It's likely above the "marine layer" and being so far inland, it should dissipate long before it gets to this altitude. There's no housing there. But, it's a beautiful area. Does get snow of rare occasion. (Especially if you go up Sunrise Hwy.) It's not so "rare" then...

Oddly, the "plague" to which you refer is preferred to, by the zillions of "Zonies" that infiltrate every Summer...

I guess no matter what some have, they desire the other...

Old 11-03-2021, 06:17 PM

187 posts, read 132,479 times
Quote:
We just moved to SE Escondido, which I guesstimate is about 10 or 12 miles east of the coast, as the crow flies. We get just about zero of the marine layer, and when we do it is gone by 9AM.

Before we moved here people would warn us about how hot Escondido is, but we used to spend our summers in Phoenix, so for us this is nothing.

OF course, YMMV.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:35 PM

37 posts, read 29,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
50?

Live about 4 miles from the coast and we do get quite a bit of fog and Marine layer in the mornings. Almost like clockwork around 10 to 10:30 a m it burns off and we have beautiful sunny weather the rest of the day.

I think the sweet spot is living just a few miles from the coast where you get more moderate temperatures but also get to enjoy the sunshine.

Old 11-06-2021, 12:23 PM

142 posts, read 123,737 times
We never actually got a chance to live in the area. We bought a beautiful home in Calavera Hills in Carlsbad 5 years ago and had planned to move there in 2 years time when I retire. We have two kids and our reasons for moving there were the schools and beaches, plus, I though it was the last 'sane' place left to live in California. We ended up buying another apt just to rent out for extra income. Now it seems that San Diego county has been taken over by loonies just like the Bay area

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-policies-laws

And I really don't want to have my kids (7 and 2) in public schools anymore in America. I've been homeschooling my eldest for the past 2 years and it's tiring as both mum and dad work. we are looking at some places in Europe to move to and going to travel for a year or so before settling somewhere.

Last edited by Tipmart87; 11-06-2021 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego