Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 09:51 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
People with families are reluctant to move here because it's tough to find a home that fits their needs that is in a good school district or within walking distance to an elementary/middle school.

Also, I've heard of people leaving San Diego because of the weather, not a joke! Some people actually get tired of the endless sunny days and the long summer stretching into late October. Some people miss the green/trees/forests, or thunderstorms, or frosty nights around Halloween. There are a lot of people that like 4 distinct seasons.
That's so true. My wife grew up in New England, and after being in CA for 20 years, he is missing having seasons. She's not missing snow, but rain, trees, thunder/lightning, fall colors, etc...

She says the weather here is great, but boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 09:44 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post

Also, I've heard of people leaving San Diego because of the weather, not a joke! Some people actually get tired of the endless sunny days and the long summer stretching into late October. Some people miss the green/trees/forests, or thunderstorms, or frosty nights around Halloween. There are a lot of people that like 4 distinct seasons.
I didn't really understand the weather when I moved here - I originally tried to settle in Olympia WA (total opposite weather) but couldn't find work. So I landed in SD where I had a couch to crash on. But my only goal was not having to go back to NY. Personally I would rather live in WA, OR, UT, CO than San Diego. I like outdoor stuff - but it is so hot you can't do anything except beach. I am not a big beach guy.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:43 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
San Diego is not worth it if you aren't a beach person. Portland offers alot of similarities at a cheaper price point. If you don't mind rain and cooler weather. But Portland isn't *that* much cheaper anymore. Especially if you take a salary cut. And Portland pay is garbage from when I looked there years ago.

Old 05-15-2022, 12:51 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
San Diego is not worth it if you aren't a beach person. Portland offers alot of similarities at a cheaper price point. If you don't mind rain and cooler weather. But Portland isn't *that* much cheaper anymore. Especially if you take a salary cut. And Portland pay is garbage from when I looked there years ago.
Portland is basically San Diego with rainy weather. It's not cheap, the job market is poor, and it's stuck in a 1990's "what could have been" daydream about some eco-utopian nonsense, i.e. we are going to change everyone's behavior so that they ride bikes to work while we run out of water and power... although to be fair, they have plenty of both. Seattle on the other hand, at least in the 90's was cheap albeit grim, economically diversified, and forced to be realistic because there are industries there that the economy depends on that can't just be handwaved away, like international logistics, shipbuilding etc... Ship has sailed, Seattle grew like crazy while San Diego and Portland have actually almost completely stopped growing and become retirement destinations for the children of privilege and others with no economic needs that are tied to the city.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 05-15-2022 at 01:06 PM..

Old 05-15-2022, 05:26 PM

Yea I interviewed for a job based in Portland and Seattle couple months ago. It was up to me to decide where. Portland paid about 10k less.

I didn't get the job. I didn't really care as I landed a better virtual job the week before. Just wanted to confirm my offers.

I'm just baffled people don't like SD weather. I lived in Austin last year. Just in that year I could easily see the wear horrible weather did to my patio, fence, pool equipment. I sold it within a year for a profit. Totally don't regret it. Could've sold it for more now but other factors (tax and job) offset whatever extra gains I would've made. I did the math today. Maybe 20k more with alot of stress.

I don't think people consider the wear weather causes on property. People change their roofs in Austin every 5-7 years like its a way of life. I was in shock.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:46 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
The beauty of SD's weather is that we do have mountains with seasons so close by. You can be up in the forest and enjoy fall colors and winter snow within an hour of most of us. Then we can return to our homes in the evening and enjoy not having to actually scrape the windshields or shovel the sidewalks day to day. But we have quick access to all of it, and that's good enough for me. I like seasons as an occasional novelty only. I also find it harder and harder to endure those relatively few days per year when it's either too hot, too cold, too humid, or too wet. We get spoiled by the temperate and dry weather -- pleasant days and cool nights with low humidity. It's so easy to be outside while it's already stifling hot in Texas and Arizona. I sometimes check the PNW weather and can't believe that even in mid-May, they're still getting cold rain in Seattle and Portland. It's just too chilly and wet for too many months of the year, and there's no escape. Everyone we know who lives in Seattle flies to Palm Springs every so often to thaw out. I've become a big fan of the SD weather, especially a little bit inland away from the marine layer.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:33 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
Portland is basically San Diego with rainy weather. It's not cheap, the job market is poor, and it's stuck in a 1990's "what could have been" daydream about some eco-utopian nonsense, i.e. we are going to change everyone's behavior so that they ride bikes to work while we run out of water and power... although to be fair, they have plenty of both. Seattle on the other hand, at least in the 90's was cheap albeit grim, economically diversified, and forced to be realistic because there are industries there that the economy depends on that can't just be handwaved away, like international logistics, shipbuilding etc... Ship has sailed, Seattle grew like crazy while San Diego and Portland have actually almost completely stopped growing and become retirement destinations for the children of privilege and others with no economic needs that are tied to the city.
Its also 60 miles inland as opposed to San Diego being right on the ocean.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:04 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
I group Portland into the same category as Seattle and SF. Populated and run by a bunch of woke crazies.

No desire to go to any of those cities.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Its also 60 miles inland as opposed to San Diego being right on the ocean.
I've only been to Seaside, OR in the fall. I can only imagine how much of a nightmare it is during the summer. One lane road with only one way in. Much like Laguna Beach without the long route of PCH.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:38 PM

798 posts, read 502,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Yea I interviewed for a job based in Portland and Seattle couple months ago. It was up to me to decide where. Portland paid about 10k less.

I didn't get the job. I didn't really care as I landed a better virtual job the week before. Just wanted to confirm my offers.

I'm just baffled people don't like SD weather. I lived in Austin last year. Just in that year I could easily see the wear horrible weather did to my patio, fence, pool equipment. I sold it within a year for a profit. Totally don't regret it. Could've sold it for more now but other factors (tax and job) offset whatever extra gains I would've made. I did the math today. Maybe 20k more with alot of stress.

I don't think people consider the wear weather causes on property. People change their roofs in Austin every 5-7 years like its a way of life. I was in shock.

I also do not need a heater in the winter or a/c in the summer living in costal San Diego.

Makes it cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego