Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

San Diego: politics, university, Prop D, marriage equality.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,416 times

Advertisements

Ah good, over the past several months four of the places I eat at regularly in PB have gone out of business... hopefully this trend continues until I am forced to bring lunch to work on a regular basis.

Good work passing the beer ban, our economy REALLY needed it.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunky3301 View Post
you crazy liberals crack me up with your priorites.
Oh good - then we're even. Religious wackos crack us up.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:04 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
When civil rights are left up to the general public, bigotry almost always wins.
Who the heck should decide these things if not the people of this state? Why don't you live in a military dictatorship if you want to flush your rights down the toliet? Oh but I'm sure you're praising the vote of the American people today for electing your new Messiah! Such double standards. You HATE anyone who doesn't agree with your twisted way of thinking. At the end of the day I may not be happy with the result of this presidential election but I accept the will of the people and would never support the supreme court overruling the results just because they didn't swing in my favor! I believe in this system because it works.

By the way, I would hardly compare 2 guys wanting to intrude upon the institution of marriage to the black movement. Apparently black people don't think so either because they voted in favor of prop 8 by a vast majority! Don't insult their fight. How can you compare an entire race to sexual orientation? Being black is a fact, not an option and not based on actions or lifestyle. Give it up!

Old 11-05-2008, 04:30 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
Who the heck should decide these things if not the people of this state? Why don't you live in a military dictatorship if you want to flush your rights down the toliet? Oh but I'm sure you're praising the vote of the American people today for electing your new Messiah! Such double standards. You HATE anyone who doesn't agree with your twisted way of thinking. At the end of the day I may not be happy with the result of this presidential election but I accept the will of the people and would never support the supreme court overruling the results just because they didn't swing in my favor! I believe in this system because it works.

By the way, I would hardly compare 2 guys wanting to intrude upon the institution of marriage to the black movement. Apparently black people don't think so either because they voted in favor of prop 8 by a vast majority! Don't insult their fight. How can you compare an entire race to sexual orientation? Being black is a fact, not an option and not based on actions or lifestyle. Give it up!

Voting on a POLITICIAN and voting on a CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT that eliminates right are two very different things here. So no it's not a double standard.

And the funny thing about your comment about blacks is that they wouldn't have the rights they do if it wasn't for the COURTS. People didn't directly vote to give them rights, the COURTS did. Why? Because of this thing in America called a system of CHECKS and BALANCES to prevent exactly what prop 8 accomplished. But you voted to take away rights and for some reason you feel good about that. FUNDAMENTALLY this is not any different, you are voting against allowing two people to get married b/c you "don't approve" just like people didn't "approve" of blacks marrying whites. SAME DIFFERENCE!

Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
At the end of the day I may not be happy with the result of this presidential election but I accept the will of the people and would never support the supreme court overruling the results just because they didn't swing in my favor! I believe in this system because it works.
You need to go back to school and crack open a history book. The courts are part of the system and generally make unpopular decisions that are the right thing over the long run. If you want direct democracy you are in the wrong country.

So no, don't bust out that line, you DO NOT believe in the system. It's about checks and balances, not mob rule.

Edit: Sav, you are a total jerk for beating me by seconds.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:52 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,292,374 times
Quote:
Being black is a fact, not an option and not based on actions or lifestyle. Give it up!

Wow...so being gay is an option? I agree with the previous poster...go back to school and learn a thing or two before making such ridiculous statements.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:36 PM

470 posts, read 1,708,221 times
They'll never get it, MAK802.

Do you wonder if Hanna_House could spontaneously choose an infatuation that leads to falling in love with another woman, and after an intense sexual, emotional, and intellectual bond develops promise her sexual exclusivity, and set up house together and raise a family? NOT.GOING.TO.HAPPEN. The theory seems to go, "Only the gay people choose, heterosexuals just ARE."

Because the homosexuals are immoral, the Bible says so. Unfortunately Jesus had nothing to say on the subject.

Last edited by Suzer; 11-05-2008 at 07:46 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 07:50 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,933 times
Oh thank you for this! It is so misleading to imply that somehow blacks received their right to vote from the supreme court overturning the will of the people. Let me take you back to school. Ever heard of the Constitution? Well voting rights were already established in the constitution, which blacks were entitled to once they were freed from slavery. It was the Democrats who fought against their rights when they regained control of the legislatures in southern States. They began to repeal State civil rights protections and to abrogate existing federal civil rights laws. They used measures such as poll taxes, literacy tests, white-only pirmaries, physical intimidation and violence to name a few. For this reason the 14th and 15th amendment were added to the constitution, which had nothing to do with the courts.

Even decades after the passage of the 14th and 15th Amendments, many Democrats still opposed those protections and some of those efforts to suppress black voting were successful. It wasn't until the 1965 that we got the Voting Rights Act to help end the efforts to block the black vote once and for all. This was done by proper channels of legislation through the Legislative branch, which is NOT the Supreme Court! So if you want to be technical, they had the right to vote all along but the Democrats are the ones who tried to once again obstruct justice! If you want to know the role of the Supreme Court, I can educate you on that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Voting on a POLITICIAN and voting on a CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT that eliminates right are two very different things here. So no it's not a double standard.

And the funny thing about your comment about blacks is that they wouldn't have the rights they do if it wasn't for the COURTS. People didn't directly vote to give them rights, the COURTS did. Why? Because of this thing in America called a system of CHECKS and BALANCES to prevent exactly what prop 8 accomplished. But you voted to take away rights and for some reason you feel good about that. FUNDAMENTALLY this is not any different, you are voting against allowing two people to get married b/c you "don't approve" just like people didn't "approve" of blacks marrying whites. SAME DIFFERENCE!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:52 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:

Your argument is so weak, I can't even respond to it.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 PM

Did your school neglect to teach you about Brown vs The Board of Education or are you just willfully ignorant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego