Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times

Advertisements

Was studying San Diego on Google Earth an noticed the Miramar Landfill.

Can someone tell me WTF is wrong with civil engineers? Why is this thing right in the middle of a populated area?

Seems to me, if the landfill was there first... you don't build up to it. If civilization was there first... you don't put a landfill there.

I've researched this in several areas and find that it's a common, and to my eyes, stupid practice.

Tucson's Los Reales and Naples, Fl.'s airport landfills come to mind as to other examples, as does the landfill out back of San Juan Capistrano and the Bee rd. Landfill near Foothills Ranch, also in "The OC".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 04:16 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
The area around it is actually very unpopulated as MCAS Miramar is on the north, east, and west sides while the area immediately to the south is entirely commercial. Now to answer your question of why it is where it is... The answer is because the city wanted something for nothing and did a shake down of the Navy to get land for nothing. Literally the city didn't plan ahead and let developers run wild developing every scrap of land in sight then found itself in danger of not having a landfill. The city then did what it always does and tried to take land from the military while the Navy, wanting to be a good neighbor, graciously gave the city land for free in order to help the city out of its self created mess.

The only thing the navy asked for in return for giving away millions and millions of dollars worth of land was the Navy asked the city not to zone the University City area for development because the Navy knew that area was right at the end of their runway and it was the most likely location for a plane to crash if there was a malfunction. Of course the city didn't honor its word and no sooner did it get the landfill then they allowed developers to run hog wild over University City. Now, just like the Navy said, every 10 years or so a plane malfunctions just after take off and ends up crashing in the University City area.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:24 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
It wasn't that long ago a trash barge took all the trash out to sea a short distance and dumped it.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,085 times
I don't know how accurate Oerdin's story is. I can tell you that, back in 1959, when the landfill was created, the city ended at Clairemont. If you were to look down from Mount Soledad in the direction of Miramar, it would be empty land as far as the eye could see. There was no route 52 (I think it was built during the 60's). North of today's route 52, there was a pocket of houses in Santee, a pocket of houses in Poway, and a few estates in Rancho Santa Fe. The nearest large settlement was Escondido.

For reasons unknown (unknown to me anyways), city planners chose to forego these vast open spaces and put a landfill in the soutwestern corner of NAAS Miramar, barely one mile from a brand new housing development in Clairemont Mesa.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:26 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
I don't know how accurate Oerdin's story is. I can tell you that, back in 1959, when the landfill was created, the city ended at Clairemont. If you were to look down from Mount Soledad in the direction of Miramar, it would be empty land as far as the eye could see. There was no route 52 (I think it was built during the 60's). North of today's route 52, there was a pocket of houses in Santee, a pocket of houses in Poway, and a few estates in Rancho Santa Fe. The nearest large settlement was Escondido.

For reasons unknown (unknown to me anyways), city planners chose to forego these vast open spaces and put a landfill in the soutwestern corner of NAAS Miramar, barely one mile from a brand new housing development in Clairemont Mesa.
Strikes me as poor planning. Sadly I've seen this over and over again in many metro areas that have grown.

I'm surprised people in these areas didn't scream about it during the planning phases, especially considering all the other things people find to be vocal about.

Seems to me there should never be a line of sight connection between a health hazard and populated areas, just from the perspective of airborne contaminants that have to be present with all the dumping and plowing.

I have seen worse in some areas of Florida though, that's for sure. But Los Reales in Tucson takes the cake. It borders the airport. (Well almost as the Naples, Fl. airport is literally built on a fill.)

Seems to be a common pattern... putting the noise of the airport and the smell of landfills near each other. So much so that whenever I research a new area, I've gotten to where I "just know" the landfill is going to be within throwing distance of the airport. Even if the airport is right in the middle of business/residential areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego