Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:29 PM

37 posts, read 86,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user376 View Post
As everyone else said, this has been an exceptionally cool and cloudy "summer." But there's still plenty of time for some nicer weather. I would be shocked if we didn't have a warm spell in October.
By warm spell do you mean a day or two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:41 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,282,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl2009 View Post
Sorry to vent but I really can't stand the weather here It's rarely warm. I thought SF had its best weather in September. Wrong! I guess this is a line that they feed the people who crave stereotypical CA weather

Don't even get me started on the horrible summer that we had here...

It's such a shame because I love mostly everything ELSE about this city. But IMO the lack of warm weather is a huge con. I think I would take the east coast climate over this climate. At least the mercury rises above 65 degrees for a good three months out of the year if not longer. It is like we are stuck in a never-ending gray and gloomy early spring...

Mediterranean climate my @ss!
You obviously did little to no research, prior to moving to SF. The weather this year is NOT uncommon. Unfortunately, for people who do not and have not lived here, people think of California as "Los Angeles." People around the country and world do not even realize it snows in California.

If you want warm, on a constant basis, I suggest you pack up, and move about 400 miles south of your location...

Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,248,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
You obviously did little to no research, prior to moving to SF. The weather this year is NOT uncommon. Unfortunately, for people who do not and have not lived here, people think of California as "Los Angeles." People around the country and world do not even realize it snows in California.

If you want warm, on a constant basis, I suggest you pack up, and move about 400 miles south of your location...
And here we have someone exaggerating again. 400 miles to the south? How about 14 miles to the east instead? Or some of the eastern and southern hoods of SF (provided you can withstand some grit, grime and crime in places).

Also the weather this year is not common to SF. Once again, this is an abnormally wet and cold year. That's not to say that SF is normally a steambath, because it's not, at all. But the weather patterns we've been having are not the usual. If someone constantly needs weather that's over 70 degrees or in triple digits though, than SF isn't really the place for them. You can expect maybe a month of weather that's over 70 degrees in SF on any given year, including at least a a few days of 90 to 100 degrees. Downtown SF hit 103 degrees earlier this year, for example. On the flip side, it rarely gets below 50, so it's rarely that cold either, unless you get caught in some fog and wind.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:24 PM

291 posts, read 959,153 times
San Francisco Weather: Temperatures by Month

Old 09-19-2010, 09:44 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,522,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl2009 View Post
Sorry to vent but I really can't stand the weather here It's rarely warm. I thought SF had its best weather in September. Wrong! I guess this is a line that they feed the people who crave stereotypical CA weather

Don't even get me started on the horrible summer that we had here...

It's such a shame because I love mostly everything ELSE about this city. But IMO the lack of warm weather is a huge con. I think I would take the east coast climate over this climate. At least the mercury rises above 65 degrees for a good three months out of the year if not longer. It is like we are stuck in a never-ending gray and gloomy early spring...

Mediterranean climate my @ss!
Please understand that SF having "Indian summers" is by and large a myth created by the tourism industry as you can read here:

San Francisco Weather

The actual weather phenomena called "Indian Summer" has nothing to do with SF weather:

Indian summer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People in SF tends to attribute lot of things their city to make it look 'cool' but most of these are simply hype.

The weather has always been sucky here and always will be.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Also the weather this year is not common to SF. Once again, this is an abnormally wet and cold year. That's not to say that SF is normally a steambath, because it's not, at all. But the weather patterns we've been having are not the usual.
No this weather pattern is indeed considered normal here. Can you point to any credible evidence that this year is unusual? Are you trying to give false hope?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:48 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,430,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Please understand that SF having "Indian summers" is by and large a myth created by the tourism industry as you can read here:

San Francisco Weather

The actual weather phenomena called "Indian Summer" has nothing to do with SF weather:

Indian summer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People in SF tends to attribute lot of things their city to make it look 'cool' but most of these are simply hype.

The weather has always been sucky here and always will be.
Also please understand that andy has not lived in SF a full year yet, just barely passed 6 months or so I believe.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
3. the weather has been well above 65 degrees many times this year. I recall one recent week, where it hit 90-100 degrees in SF multiple times...70 degree nights, etc.
By saying many you kind of make it sound like a routine occurence. Two days over 65 in a month is not many

Yes the temp did hit 90-100 for exactly two days in the end of August and that was a freak incidence. In fact one of those 2 days is a record in SF weather history! So no, it wasn't multiple times...For the rest of the year the temp was below 60 >90% of the time.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:53 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,430,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
No this weather pattern is indeed considered normal here. Can you point to any credible evidence that this year is unusual? Are you trying to give false hope?
Bay Area's chilly summer not its coldest - SFGate

Quote:
Talk about global weirding: How about that heat yesterday, huh? Tuesday was the hottest August day ever in San Francisco, according to the National Weather Service, tying the all-time high for the month of 98 degrees
Coldest Summer in 40 Years Produces Hottest August Day on Record - SFist

Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Also please understand that andy has not lived in SF a full year yet, just barely passed 6 months or so I believe.
You don't have to live here at all to find weather statistics. FYI, the joke called "Indian Summer" is yet to see a sunny day this year-

Oh I see...you are one of those who doesn't live here and yet lecture someone like me who lives here. In fact, by your own admission you never lived in SF and yet we are supposed to believe that you know it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland