Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:47 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,148 times

Advertisements

Of course, "San Francisco" is not one entirely unified city politically....

Most people there are Democrats sure, but for different reasons from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 13,238 times
I think is is just the natural progression of change. The liberal/progressive side has had it their way for so long that they took it for granted. They were looking out for their pet constituencies and letting the quality of life and commerce slip. When Newsome came in, although he is considered a flaming liberal elsewhere in the country, he was a moderate and made things work (compared to his predecessors). The middle class/Asian communities are asserting themselves and the progressives are getting squeezed out. Just the way things go.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:35 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times
For any big city to progress, extreme liberalism doesn't work. However, it's still liberalism in its core and that will never change.

1. The most green city in the nation.
2. One of the largest gay communities (if not the largest) in the country.
3. Burning Man originates from SF and just sold out for the first time and continually getting bigger.
4. Parklets started here and spread.
5. Bike infrastructure is not as big as Portland or Minneapolis but the culture is bigger and will get even bigger.
6. Where being naked in the public is okay.
7. Folsom Street Fair anyone?
8. Didn't they just banned Happy Meals and thought about banning goldfish purchase?
9. More singles than families, more dogs than children, this is liberal.
10. A solar farm within the city.

I love how Berkeley is next door and will have influence on SF for a long time.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
For any big city to progress, extreme liberalism doesn't work. However, it's still liberalism in its core and that will never change.

1. The most green city in the nation.
2. One of the largest gay communities (if not the largest) in the country.
3. Burning Man originates from SF and just sold out for the first time and continually getting bigger.
4. Parklets started here and spread.
5. Bike infrastructure is not as big as Portland or Minneapolis but the culture is bigger and will get even bigger.
6. Where being naked in the public is okay.
7. Folsom Street Fair anyone?
8. Didn't they just banned Happy Meals and thought about banning goldfish purchase?
9. More singles than families, more dogs than children, this is liberal.
10. A solar farm within the city.

I love how Berkeley is next door and will have influence on SF for a long time.
Please explain. Berkeley operates quite independently from SF and has more influence over Oakland if anywhere.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:57 AM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times
Anyone can operate independently of anything, as long as you are in a nearby vicinity, positive or negative influence is always around. For example, Orange County is grouped together with Los Angeles. You said Berkeley has influence on Oakland right, well it can spread across the water too.

In this case, I think having Berkeley nearby is a positive force on SF.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Anyone can operate independently of anything, as long as you are in a nearby vicinity, positive or negative influence is always around. For example, Orange County is grouped together with Los Angeles. You said Berkeley has influence on Oakland right, well it can spread across the water too.

In this case, I think having Berkeley nearby is a positive force on SF.
Hmmm interesting perspective. I would agree if the topic of this discussion wasn't about SF moving slightly to the right. There's not much Berkeley influence there. Oakland and Berkeley on the other hand are interconnected like no other cities aside from places like Piedmont, Emeryville, Albany and Alameda which kind of get "dragged along". San Francisco certainly while similar doesn't really "fit" in that group.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:48 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
In fact, the OWS in SF has drawn the same number of people as the OWS in Santa Rosa. Santa Rosa is 1/10 the size of SF and is traditionally pretty middle o the road politically speaking, so for Occupy SF and Occupy Santa Rosa to have similar numbers definitely suggests SF is not liberal or leftist. (And yes I know not everyone in OWS is liberal or leftist but most are).
Santa Rosa has 3 different encampments, one of which has 200 tents? Santa Rosa has hundreds of people down there every day, and has hundreds to thousands of people marching every week? Occupy Santa Rosa has had well over 100 arrests so far? Because that's what Occupy SF is like. I think your comparison is slightly off.

Berkeley and Oakland are more liberal than SF, but SF is pretty damn liberal itself, even if it can't quite match those two cities. Half of the board of supervisors supports Occupy SF, and have been down there more than once, just in case none of you knew that...sounds like a pretty liberal city to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
SF is very much of a play ground of the rich corporate types.
The majority of SF is not rich. Not even close. Neither are most protesters at Occupy SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
If anything, the OWS in Oakland is far bigger and more genuine than the one in SF
Occupy Oakland is bigger, but Occupy SF is not exactly small (not at all). Also, how is Occupy SF not genuine, but Occupy Oakland is? Occupy SF has been going since the first day of Occupy Wall Street, which is more than can be said for Occupy Oakland...but of course both are "genuine", regardless of when they started, or how big they are.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Santa Rosa has 3 different encampments, one of which has 200 tents? Santa Rosa has hundreds of people down there every day, and has hundreds to thousands of people marching every week? Occupy Santa Rosa has had well over 100 arrests so far? Because that's what Occupy SF is like. I think your comparison is slightly off.

Berkeley and Oakland are more liberal than SF, but SF is pretty damn liberal itself, even if it can't quite match those two cities. Half of the board of supervisors supports Occupy SF, and have been down there more than once, just in case none of you knew that...sounds like a pretty liberal city to me.

The majority of SF is not rich. Not even close. Neither are most protesters at Occupy SF.

Occupy Oakland is bigger, but Occupy SF is not exactly small (not at all). Also, how is Occupy SF not genuine, but Occupy Oakland is? Occupy SF has been going since the first day of Occupy Wall Street, which is more than can be said for Occupy Oakland...but of course both are "genuine", regardless of when they started, or how big they are.
LMAO at trying to talk to andy man. I am now having my doubts if he really does live here. How many times have they said on the news about SF's occupy showing solidarity with Oakland's and how some of the protesters have bounced back and fourth between them?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:14 PM

457 posts, read 756,799 times
I think I agree with one poster above who noted the flavor of liberalism in SF. I think its more socially liberal (gay culture, folsom street fair, etc. etc.) and also the modern manifestation of progressiveness - environment, vegetarian, healthy food etc. Definitely what has reduced is unionization, workplace rights, protest movements, anti-capitalism etc.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:56 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
On a somewhat tangential note... I always found it amusing and interesting how these bastions of liberalism around here mingle with some of the biggest monuments to capitalism in the world, all right here in this little bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland