Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 PM

326 posts, read 529,566 times

Advertisements

The TL isn't that bad. I would be more worried about walking around in places like Bayview, Hunter's Point, or (sorry guys) parts of Oakland before getting worried about the TL.

It can be a fun place. Just like anywhere else you should keep your wits about you but I hardly think getting hit up for change or someone asking if I want to buy weed as the craziest thing in the world.

I don't think I'd even mind living in a majority of it but having spent some time there, I do recognize that there still are some truly sketch parts in that neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 PM

388 posts, read 1,017,499 times
Go stand on Turk and Taylor, Ellis and Jones, Eddy and Golden gate and then come back. Certain blocks have less foot traffic so you don't know what kind of people the neighborhood consists of. All the locals congregate on certain blocks. Go spend time on Turk street and come back lol.

edit: Or anywhere on Leavensworth. Never have I ever been offered such a wide variety of drugs until I walked on Leavensworth lol.

I remember it like it was yesterday. "klonopins 1 dollar! Roxies, Methadone!" Not to mention the stolen iphones, puppies, and pants lol.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post

Mayorhaggar, I'm pretty sure you saw folks waiting to go to Glide Memorial Church, which has made serving the poor and homeless its mission.
Probably, I figured they were congregating there for a reason. I just didn't want to live on a block where 200 hobos were lounging around every day.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Probably, I figured they were congregating there for a reason. I just didn't want to live on a block where 200 hobos were lounging around every day.
Better than the first block of turk, where you have 200 thugs, gangsters, drug dealers, and crackheads walking around.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM

622 posts, read 1,146,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I will preface this by saying I was born and raised in the Bronx and currently spend most of my time between SoCal and New Orleans for work. I was recently on a film shoot in SF and everyone and their mother was telling me the Tenderloin was a "bad" part of town. Honestly, it seemed a little more down market than some of the surrounding neighborhoods, but "bad" it just wasn't-- especially with my frames of reference as stated. Is this really a problem area or is it just one by comparison to the rest of SF?
Your experience of the Tenderloin is framed by your life experience. I'm from L.A., the "bad" area of town. I lived in NYC for a couple of years and just got back from a trip to NOLA. My alma mater, a top tier law school, is in the Tenderloin so I liken it to the similarity of USC being in a bad part of L.A. You can be a victim of crime in both of those areas, so to act like it's not there is just sort of silly. I go into these areas and I just don't freak out because I've seen it before and know that I can handle myself.

I can understand if someone is freaked out because there is drug sales and use, prostitution and other activities going on there. I've noticed that the locals pretty much leave me online if I happen to be passing through. I'll admit that I rarely am passing through though. It's the same feeling I have about NOLA: if you take a wrong turn there you could get into trouble. Therefore, I follow my instincts and just don't take wrong turns or turn around fast.

If someone has spent most of their life in places that are fairly sheltered they're going to freak the hell out in the Tenderloin. However, I'd think even well-traveled and street smart people realize that the Tenderloin really isn't the place to walk around without your defenses up.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I used to never really think the TL was all that bad. I'd skirt through areas on the outskirts near Union Square, on Polk, on Market, and it never looked that bad. There's some decent bars and Thai places there, and compared to the Mission parts of it aren't as bad. Plus the apartment exterior architecture there is often stunning, maybe the best in the city.

Around 2007 I was having a tough time finding an apartment and decided to consider places in the TL. I went to a viewing for a place right around the corner from the Hilton. When I got there, there were literally at least 200 homeless guys lounging around all up and down the block. Just on one block. I took a look at the place just out of curiosity, and got the hell out of there. So, it depends on what block you're on, but some blocks are really ****ed up.

The Pursuit of Happyness - Homelessness (Scene in Glide Memorial Church) - YouTube

Does this look familiar?

Old 12-06-2012, 05:20 PM

26 posts, read 42,633 times
I worked at GG and Leavenworth ("Pill Hill") for over five years. Comparing it to West Oakland is just silly. The intimidating aspects of W.O. is the isolation. The 'loin is very dense - with people everywhere - and if you mind your own business, one shouldn't have an issue. Now that's a different story from a public health perspective. That 60 block area is a nightmare given the large TG population and the survival sex trade that comes along with it, the large immigrant population, the prevalence of drugs, and the rates of HIV/AIDS, TB, syphillis, et cetera. You'd be hard pressed to find anywhere in the country that has such a complex set of problems in such a small area.

It will be gentrified eventually, although many of the larger building are master leased for Section 8, HOPWA, HUH, and the like. Most corners are fine but Jones/Ellis, Turk/Taylor, and Golden Gate/Turk can be very intimidating if one is not used to it (it took me a bit of time but eventually you develop your "Tenderloin Walk").

Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM

75 posts, read 204,603 times
Crazy zombies roaming the streets - they don't mind messing with you just because you're walking purposefully. I had some insane weirdo veer into my path and spit on me, just because he was that kind of nutso cray cray!

Old 12-07-2012, 03:55 PM

26 posts, read 42,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charbo View Post
Crazy zombies roaming the streets - they don't mind messing with you just because you're walking purposefully. I had some insane weirdo veer into my path and spit on me, just because he was that kind of nutso cray cray!
Yeah, it can happen. Fair enough. I should've added that I'm 6'4 so people are probably less inclined to get feisty.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:16 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,093 times
maybe the tenderloin is better now
my problem with thetenerloin were the mentally disturbed and violent homeless who attack and harrass random strangers.i don't have problem with the pimps, prostitutes and drug dealers because i don't live that lifestyle. i'm not involved in drug ripoffs,visit prostitutes and i am not in a gang.my experience is those people won't kill you unless they have a beef with you.

i have lived in urban areas all my life and the tenderloin is the only place i have been where i had to beat down a complete stranger for trying to grab me ,bear hug me and demand money.

a couple of years ago 5 ordinary people were killed over a 6 month period by deranged homeless folks

mod cut
It's as if all the violent whack jobs in the bay area migrate to the tenderloin

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-08-2012 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: you may post links to stories and snippets - your links are email addresses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland