Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayareaadvisor View Post
I saw on 60 minutes where a masters pyschology student wanted to do a test and panhandled for a week. He said it was so easy and made way more than the minimum wage.
Did he quit school and go into fulltime panhandling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM

919 posts, read 1,783,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Did he quit school and go into fulltime panhandling?
I did. That's how I met my wife....

Old 02-05-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
I did. That's how I met my wife....
Wow. I bet you are really living the high life if ya both are working the streets.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM

919 posts, read 1,783,056 times
Quote:
Wow. I bet you are really living the high life if ya both are working the streets.
We have a LOT in common.....

Old 02-05-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
We have a LOT in common.....
Well, it usually works out better if you have a lot in common with the person ya marry.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
They don't get cash anymore, so what are you talking about?

Some may get Social security or disability. Is this the "welfare" you're speaking of?

Foodstamps is a FEDERAL PROGRAM called SNAP which is not part of the welfare system. Medicaid can be utilized by anyone of low income, even those working.

Stop being a SNOB.

Panhandling is NOT easy. All these stories of beggars making tons of money begging is pure fiction. Just like the welfare "queen" who rolls up to the supermarket in a mercedes wearing a fur coat and diamonds to purchase groceries with her foodstamp card.

A couple flaws in your thinking:

Welfare support plus some side job money (whether drug sales, prostitution, panhandling etc) can easily beat out the poor sucker making $10 an hour.

Plenty of welfare queens with IPhones driving cars with 5k paint jobs and 26 inch spinner wheels standing at the register at Walmart right now arguing with the cashier what the SNAP debit card should pay for! So no fur coats and Mercedes but ghetto fabulous, absolutely!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Welfare support plus some side job money (whether drug sales, prostitution, panhandling etc) can easily beat out the poor sucker making $10 an hour.

Plenty of welfare queens with IPhones driving cars with 5k paint jobs and 26 inch spinner wheels standing at the register at Walmart right now arguing with the cashier what the SNAP debit card should pay for! So no fur coats and Mercedes but ghetto fabulous, absolutely!
Where does this crazy idea that most people on welfare are rolling in the dough and gaming the system. This isn't true. It is a media fabrication.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Did you know welfare kings in the appalachians collect moss as a cash crop? I think those welfare kings are typically referred to as "hillbillies" around there. That and sit there and wait for the government to deliver their prozac by mail.

As seen on HBO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9wyOJ4di0g

Seems to be a critical flaw in your thinking...

Old 02-11-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where does this crazy idea that most people on welfare are rolling in the dough and gaming the system. This isn't true. It is a media fabrication.
Go visit a Walmart near a poor area in south Florida, you will see women with the latest iPhone, dressed in ghetto fabulous fashions using their food stamp debit card then go right out into the parking lot to get in their 20 year old Cadillac/Buick with 5k in paint and a pair of 26 inch wheels!

That is clearly "gaming the system!"

Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Did you know welfare kings in the appalachians collect moss as a cash crop? I think those welfare kings are typically referred to as "hillbillies" around there. That and sit there and wait for the government to deliver their prozac by mail.

As seen on HBO:

American Hollow (1/10) - YouTube

Seems to be a critical flaw in your thinking...
Really.......A Rory Kennedy HBO documentary? You think that just might be a "slanted piece of liberal journalism?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland