Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 PM

88 posts, read 132,115 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move out of my current city (Fresno) for personal reasons and because I don't like this city. I want to move to a large city that has great public transportation and have narrowed my destinations to SF and Chicago.

On my other threads, people have suggested that I go to SF because it's more doable. I'd be able to drive in for interviews, have been there several times, and most of my closest friends live in SF and the Bay area. I have no friends and family in Chicago and have never been there before.

But how do single parents live there? I have a 5-year old girl who will be starting kindergarten this August and I have no idea how to get a 1 bedroom apartment in a safe area. Safety is important for us and good access to public transportation because I don't want to bring my car with me.

With my experience and education, I could possibly land a job that makes $30-35k yearly (in administrative and office positions), but of course, I'm hoping for more.

Everyone seems to say people who live in SF either are either extremely wealthy, live with several roommates, or live with their parents. I would think there has to be some single parents who aren't rich or don't have parents to stay with. How do they do it? Do they just end up in bad neigborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:26 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
No. Single parents move out. Even married parents have moved out. There are fewer and fewer family households in the city now. Have you looked at rents? (See Craigslist) You may have to live outside the city.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:36 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Most don't. Rental costs have skyrocketed and raising a child in the City will be VERY expensive and difficult. The only people that can seem afford it nowadays would be young well payed tech professionals that often have roommates and dual income earners. In addition, most everything else is costlier--gas, car insurance, preschools, etc. It's one of, if not THE most expensive place for rents in the country.

Just found this article on the current average prices for one bedrooms which may give you some idea....."Average" San Francisco Rent Is $2,700 | NBC Bay Area

If you want to move somewhere else in the Bay Area on your income, you may want to look into cities like Concord, ,Martinez, El Cerrito, Hercules, etc.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:36 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
People in the OP's economic strarum who work in the City generally do the brutal commute from Eastern CoCo, etc or they gut it out living in the hood.

If I were the OP I'd stick with Fresno County. Why move?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:37 PM

Ruth4Truth, I've looked at Craigslist and that's where I get most of the possible rent prices from. I've also heard that there are less and less families there... I guess I'm just weighing being around friends (which would be my support network) or completely alone in Chicago. SF seems almost absolutely impossible. Almost because I always have a little hope

Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Most single parents move out of San Francisco unless they have money. Most urban cities including Chicago are awful to raise children unless you have money. San Francisco just requires a lot more money than Chicago to live in a good area. Your anticipated salary wouldn't be enough. I live a fairly modest lifestyle and spend around $50k annually for myself.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:48 PM

Clongirl, I've heard Concord wasn't safe. Correct me if I'm wrong. Are the other three areas okay? I would assume they each have good and bad areas...

BayAreaHillBilly, I'm moving out of Fresno for personal reasons. I'd really not got into them but it is making me depressed and physically ill and even moving over to Madera or Merced won't help. As for the city, I don't like that it's spread out, you need a car to go anywhere and it definitely does not have a city vibe.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 PM

bmw335xi, thanks for your honesty. I've heard people say the same about urban cities and having enough money to raise kids. I just know the suburbs or spread out cities are not for me, and I really want to ditch my car and have good public transit.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:59 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neinei876 View Post
Clongirl, I've heard Concord wasn't safe. Correct me if I'm wrong. Are the other three areas okay? I would assume they each have good and bad areas...

BayAreaHillBilly, I'm moving out of Fresno for personal reasons. I'd really not got into them but it is making me depressed and physically ill and even moving over to Madera or Merced won't help. As for the city, I don't like that it's spread out, you need a car to go anywhere and it definitely does not have a city vibe.
Concord is perfectly safe. There are a COUPLE of neighborhoods that are kinda gritty/seedy along Monument Blvd....but it's not a dangerous place. 30-35k a year won't get you very far around here to be honest. Not suggesting that you shouldn't move but the reality is that you won't be living in the most desirable or prime areas. The most affordable parts of the region tend to be in outer Contra Costa County. Pittsburg, Antioch, Brentwood, etc. You won't be getting a "city vibe" and will need a car for sure. You'll definitely have to adjust/and lower your expectations on what you can afford out here.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Clongirl, thanks for a real perspective. This is why I asked, I wanted to know from people who live there other than friends (because they're more supportive and would urge me to find work and move anyways lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland