Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:58 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Not sure why the Times is making a deal out of this. Whenever you fly into SFO you come in pretty low over the water, and it seems like right at the last second before you touch the water the airstrip comes out of nowhere and you land.
That's what I thought. The passenger's description, posted farther up, describes a routine approach. I think the Times interviewed the wrong guy, or the interviewer had no familiarity with SF airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I scanned the thread and here are some things to note.

The captain actually has nearly 20 years of commercial experience, starting out back in the "old days" before everything was computerized. He had previously landed some of those bucking old beasts at SFO, likely in far worse conditions. That said, he was new to the 777. But again, the 777 is not one of those bucking old beasts.

It now appears there was some sort of inexplicable issue with the approach control and altitude. They were too high when they hit Coyote Pt. Then, they increased their angle of descent, however, inexplicably, the throttle was essentially taken to zero (not even taxi mode from what I understand), as low as you can go without shut down. That is weird. On some av forums there was speculation about a known issue with certain 777s altimeters and possible interactions with the throttle. Danged computerized planes. Oh, and both the glide path system and ILS are down at SFO right now. Personally, I've been known to cancel a trip if I found that the ILS was down at my destination, call me paranoid. I digress. In any case, with no ILS, this was a 100% visual / altimeter / attitude indicator approach with no ILS, it was done the way someone lands a 6 seater on a rural strip. So, if the altimeter ain't working, you might get in trouble fast.

I will withhold judgement and await the NTSB report. Should be interesting and I am guessing there will be plenty of blame to go around here.

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 07-08-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Incomprehensible. There are too many telltales of low airspeed to go unnoticed.
Experienced or not for that particular model, a pilot knows (damned well should know!) what the minimum airspeed to maintain is for any plane he or she flies.
The problems controlling altitude and throttle are the keys to this, IMHO. If I were heading the investigation these two things would be my main areas of focus. I would not go into it with any preconceived notions I would simply attempt to determine why there was such difficulty controlling altitude and speed (too high at Coyote Point, too low and too slow at the ILS posts).

Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Unfortunately, yes, partly.

The extenuating circumstance seems to be his inexperience with the aircraft. I hadn't considered a pilot with so little time in that type being at the controls. Perhaps he figured his airspeed for a 747, the type in which he had so much experience? Even so, that would, indeed, be "doing something stupid."

The evidence did show an attempted go-around, as i suggested, which led me to conclude that something had happened at the last moment. The "accident" unfortunately seems to be the first officer waiting too long to counter the captain (perhaps for cultural reasons) and ask for the go-around.
Doesn't the 47 have a higher stall speed than the 77? I thought the 77 incorporated STOL aspects that were not available when the 47 was being designed?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Doesn't the 47 have a higher stall speed than the 77? I thought the 77 incorporated STOL aspects that were not available when the 47 was being designed?
I don't know either stall speed. Seems like this guy didn't either. I can't imagine a scenario where his career isn't over, given what we now know.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,920 times
$150K is not a bad deal if I could walk away from the crash unharmed.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:44 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
The saddest part of the whole crash:

S.F. plane crash: Police probe whether truck hit girl - SFGate

Survive the crash and then get hit by a truck.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
For all you non-pilots out there.

To go up, you increase the thrust. To come down, you decrease the thrust. It's slightly more complicated than that, but essentially that's how it works. If the aircraft is too high on approach, the throttles are retarded to descend back to the glideslope. Too low, power is added to climb back up. You would have noticed when the plane begins it's descent from altitude, how quiet the engines get. They've been reduced to practically idle and the crew lowers the attitude of the plane to maintain speed. As the plane nears it's final approach and flaps and landing gear get deployed, the power comes back up, and the plane begins it's landing attitude configuration.

Pilots refer to a flight condition called "getting behind the power curve" in which the attitude and power settings are such that without either decreasing the angle of attack (attitude) and/or increasing power, the aircraft may enter an aerodynamic stall (The wings don't have enough lift to sustain flight). Large aircraft have what is called a "Stick Shaker" in which the control yoke actually vibrates to warn the pilot he is about to enter a stall.

Jet engines take a moment or two to "spool up" so the crew needs to be "ahead" of the aircraft and make adjustments to the throttles in anticipation of where they want to position the plane on it's approach.

I've had the opportunity many years ago to fly 3 approaches in a 727 simulator along with my fellow members of the Experimental Aircraft Association. I landed HARD on the airport twice (enough to kill myself and all my passengers) and pull a similar too low and too slow which resulted in a nice pancake into the edge of the berm in front of the runway.

Finally, the airport has GPS based published approaches, which, in the case of the ILS not being functional are fully capable and probably even more accurate than the ILS.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:30 PM

The NTSB report should be interesting assuming no stone is left unturned. Although some crashes are due to a single cause, multiple causes are far more frequent. Quite a few things had to go wrong here. Maybe the things all had to do with the crew, maybe not. Again, airspeed and altitude are the key variables of interest. These are the areas of focus.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:51 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Does anyone know why the non functional instrument landing system is not considered part of the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland