Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:32 PM

833 posts, read 1,198,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you are a photographer or photographer type, it's paradise. You have to appreciate urban living and nature. People who love SF love both things. It's rare to have both, usually you have to decide one or the other, but in SF you have both. If parties and beach are you main priorities than SF will suck.
Urban living and nature? I can think of 10 places right off the top of my head........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:45 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,574 times
If you're going to SF, be sure to wear some flowers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdvCqUguIh8

Man, if you don't like it, just leave. The reasons aren't that important and its not about facts, but the way you feel.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:53 PM

5 posts, read 9,857 times
Someone call the waaambulance.

Don't like it? Put on your big boy pants and find another job and move. I will never understand what possesses people to come onto here and thrash cities like that will solve anything.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:58 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Urban living and nature? I can think of 10 places right off the top of my head........
Okay name them and even 10 would still be considered rare.

Name 10 major cities where you don't need to own a car, yet you can go mountain, coastal and urban hiking?

Seattle does not count... it isn't urban, only the downtown area, I used to live there.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:14 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaG View Post
Went to Stanford and never really loved SF but thought I would just learn to love it and settle. But I can't imagine being here for any longer than short term anymore. the cold summers are miserable, the crime rate is ridiculous - my car has been broken into 2x this year alone. Homeless people seem to run the streets, I see druggies about, and people look so miserable.

I would love to live in a real city like London or New York (or even even the total opposite - an unpretentious small town like Austin) but but unfortunately, i'm in tech and it's harder to find equivalent positions elsewhere.
I will never understand.

End Rant.
I'll start off by saying, have you ever thought of living across the Bay, either north or south, so you can get more bang for your buck? Like Oakland, Alameda, Marin.

You can escape the fog and cold summers by going to Marin or the East Bay.

Sucks about your car, It's happened to me too --- I bet it happens in New York, London, and Austin too.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:18 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Not to mention people here have such an inferiority complex and take this small town so seriously and have a belief that it is Paris or New York. So ridiculous.
End Rant.
I'll agree with this!

Old 03-20-2014, 06:10 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Most of the people are transplants trying too hard. And most of them will be gone come the next bust. Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy what sf has to offer.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
I would love to live in a real city like London or New York (or even even the total opposite - an unpretentious small town like Austin) but but unfortunately, i'm in tech and it's harder to find equivalent positions elsewhere.
You could totally live in London or New York if you really wanted to. Or Austin. It's not really that hard. (Though London might be more difficult as an US citizen to find work). It's not like you're saving any money by living in San Francisco.

So stop the "Oh poor me, I'm stuck in this place out west because it's the only place for tech jobs" routine. This goes on a lot on the Seattle forum as well. Tech jobs(which is a broad category) are a lot easier to find in other places than a lot of other professions these days. It's not like it's a category that's hurting for work.

Though since the OP is a one-post poster who never posted again, who even knows if this is real--no offense if it is legitimate. Lot of trolls and sock puppets round these parts though...

Last edited by Deezus; 03-20-2014 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 12:12 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalforever View Post
As someone who visited from Pittsburgh, PA for a few months, here is what I think:

6. Whoever mentioned nature: Yeah you have it but its way overpopulated. Someone also seems to have cut down the vast majority of the trees in San Francisco... I was not impressed. Nature, frankly, is much better in my town.
Cut down trees? Have you ever seen pictures of SF before it was settled? There were ZERO trees in the city, just sand dunes, dry grassy hills, and shrubs. The amount of trees that have actually been planted in the City is staggering when you consider that almost nothing grows there naturally. When people talk about 'nature,' they mean the vast networks of local and regional parklands everywhere. There are vast and diverse areas with almost no people and some of the most stunning nature and views anywhere in the world, all around us. You just have to want to get out of the City.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:23 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times
I don't think SF has any more or any less civic pride than other places I've been. I spend half the year in San Diego, and people here go on and on constantly about it being the best place on Earth, how it's so much better than LA yet always overlooked, blah blah blah. If people think the place they live in is great, then that's a good thing, not a bad thing. The problem is if you don't find your groove, then it becomes annoying to hear other people loving something that you don't relate to. So you have to find the place that works for you. I think a lot of people in SF come from other places, and SF is exciting and beautiful to them, so let them wax poetic about it!

I do find it surprising that people who love London or NYC don't love SF. On the west coast, SF is the most European of any city, certainly the only one with that sort of density, and it's absolutely aesthetically beautiful if you are one to appreciate visual aesthetics. It's also terribly interesting and always changing. Yes, there are homeless people (and down here in San Diego too), but that's because in London and NYC, they can't survive on the streets without freezing to death. And yes, there are some snobby people, like anywhere. That's life. If the negatives of a place ruin the positives for you, then you either have a negative attitude or don't notice or appreciate the positives.

I have at least one friend who complains about the City all the time too, for the same reasons as the OP. But he has issues. The truth is, SF is one of the world's most popular destination for visitors from all over the globe. When I'm in Europe, the travel agencies and airports always have photos of SF in them, and I remember that I get to live where others dream of visiting. It's really an amazing place if you let it romance you and sweep you off your feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland