Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
San Francisco is unique, and special-- does smell like pee though.
I keep telling myself it's the eucalyptus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 10:57 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
It does smell like urine all over SF, but I take it with a grain of salt- large cities are generally dirty. In Buenos Aires, people don't pick up dog poop and it literally covers the side walks.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
It does smell like urine all over SF, but I take it with a grain of salt- large cities are generally dirty. In Buenos Aires, people don't pick up dog poop and it literally covers the side walks.
SF didn't used to be. There didn't used to be a homeless problem. Hard to imagine now, isn't it?

Old 05-12-2014, 02:48 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCArch View Post
My goodness, if you think San Francisco is boring, you will be extremely disappointed with virtually everywhere else! Maybe once you move elsewhere, you will realize what San Francisco has to offer, and you will miss it and maybe even appreciate it. I've never heard anyone imply that San Francisco is "not a real city". What is your definition of a city, then? SF is the densest city in the United States, and I feel like SF has the best and most authentic urban vibe of any city in the US. So much change happens in the city. Many people come for the opportunity. Others come for the culture, the weather, and the food. San Francisco will never be like New York or London. On the other hand, New York and London will never be like SF. I hope you find what you are looking for, but I doubt any place you find will be THAT much better than SF. The Bay Area as a whole is just about as good as they come!
Actually, New York City is more dense than San Francisco

Old 05-12-2014, 03:35 PM

460 posts, read 982,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Actually, New York City is more dense than San Francisco
Can someone well-traveled educate me - how clean is SF, all 47 square miles of it, relative to its peer cities such as Paris and Rome? I have heard Rome was the worst.

The Glen Park station and vicinity was filthy during the recession 2010-2011. Then the city decided to bring back trash pickup through Dept of Public Works. Now it is a lot cleaner. I used to bring two paper bags, fill it up with trash, and still barely put a dent into the trash pile along the sidewalk.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Can't speak for Rome or Paris, but SF was quite dirty. Even my dad, a New Yorker, said it was almost as bad as the Big Apple in terms of filth.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:59 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Can't speak for Rome or Paris, but SF was quite dirty. Even my dad, a New Yorker, said it was almost as bad as the Big Apple in terms of filth.
I have to agree it is one of the features that really stands out. It is very filthy.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:16 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
SF didn't used to be. There didn't used to be a homeless problem. Hard to imagine now, isn't it?
What do you think is the cause of the increase in homeless people in SF? I can't imagine that it was only due to the recession.

I think the city in the past gave them a monthly check. This might be the cause of the increase back then that is still present today.

http://www.sfhsa.org/asset/ReportsDa...eMarch2014.pdf

When did you notice the increase?

Last edited by TVC15; 05-12-2014 at 04:29 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 06:23 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
What do you think is the cause of the increase in homeless people in SF? I can't imagine that it was only due to the recession.

I think the city in the past gave them a monthly check. This might be the cause of the increase back then that is still present today.

http://www.sfhsa.org/asset/ReportsDa...eMarch2014.pdf

When did you notice the increase?
Actually, when I lived in the City during the 70's there WAS a large homeless/mentally ill population. It certainly wasn't as spread out as it is today, but I have a VERY DISTINCT memories of getting on the 38 with my mom and the stench from this homeless guy was sooooo awful--like all bodily functions in the pants sort of deal (sorry, I'm trying to refrain from being too graphic). Everyone on the bus had a tissue up to their noses---even burying them in their sleeves. It WAS there---just not as obvious--more "in the shadows", a problem to very specific areas.

I think the problem increased after the Reagan years/and probably after the Vietnam War---I won't go into all of that to avoid a political debate, but the Tenderloin and parts of Market/Hayes Valley/Haight St/GG Park always had some element of homeless/mentally ill folk.

I actually had a friend/acquaintance that had bi-polar/addiction issues (they go hand in hand, btw) lived with me for a while and a year later I saw him wrapped up in a blanket dirty/smelly as heck sitting outside a movie theater begging for money. VERY SAD!!! But equally disturbing and far TOO prevalent nowadays to give in to the feelings. He wouldn't take his meds, had an addiction problem to quell the bi-polar stuff...anyway...It's just more "in your face" nowadays. It's spreading out more and it does seem like there's more folks busing themselves in for reasons I won't try to answer to avoid controversy.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:17 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
What do we see in the place? Roller skating in GG Park on Sundays, when it's closed to traffic. Frisbee on the beach. The Asian Art Museum, to name just one of several excellent museums. Strolling the Presidio, or walking across the GG Bridge, taking in the views. The Powell St. cable car, when it peaks on Powell with a view of the Bay and Alcatraz. The Richmond District, if you're into things Russian. The Museum of Modern Art. The numerous scenic neighborhoods and their quaint shopping districts. Concerts in Stern Grove! The California Academy of Sciences and the various events held there. Fort Point at high tide, with the waves splashing over your parked car. The hidden walking paths. Hills with spectacular views at almost every turn. The symphony. And further afield, as someone mentioned: Muir Woods. Drake's Bay with its resident great blue herons. Stinson Beach. I could go on.

Oh. But none of that has to do with partying. Oh well. Maybe it's just not a city for party animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland