Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times

Advertisements

You're completely free to take in as many illegals as you want. Pay for their visa process including housing, food, education, etc.

The problem is when leftist beg for more illegals, don't want to vet them, don't want to pay for their free ride, and instead off load their costs onto taxpayers.

It's selfish to expect others to pay for your "compassion".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 06:30 PM

882 posts, read 689,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Why don't we close up borders. While we're at it, let's eliminate imports of foreign made products. Let's be entirely self sustaining. That way we can take better care of our down and out, instead of subsizing the rest of the world.
That would be certainly be better than having open borders which is implicit in your post.

And you clearly have no solution how we could possibly do that.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,064,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
You can keep trade open and still close your borders to immigration.

Funny you act as if that's a package deal.
Trump's the one building the wall and complaining about companies and jobs going out of the country. Seems we could solve our problems by closing the border and keeping jobs here.

Trump wants a wall. When is he going to deport the 11 million illegals?

Old 02-01-2017, 07:22 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
I'm just shaking my head at the ignorance displayed in this thread. Do any of you read newspapers? Have you not heard about people in Central America being threatened with shootings if they don't join gangs? How about all the former American allies in the Middle East who risked their lives to help US soldiers who are now told they're not welcome?

If you're going to keep going on about liberals, I wll give you the point that half the voters wanted change. But the other half wanted something else, call it the status quo if you want. They didn't want this immigrant bashing.

Do I wish there was no "illegal" immigration? Of course. But the reality is that people come here any way they can because they want a better life.
That was addressed on the thread. Those are mainly kids and young people. Immigration policy needs to change to recognize that situation, so they'll have a good chance of getting at least temporary asylum, rather then being tossed back. There's no need for all these sanctuary cities and even a sanctuary state (CT is considering taking on that status as a state, too), just for some kids.

Sanctuary cities and states aren't needed for Middle Easterners with a record of helping US military. There's a better way to address that. Of course the President issuing blanket fiats without considering specifics isn't helpful. But that has nothing to do with sanctuary cities. They're separate issues.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:40 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
You can keep trade open and still close your borders to immigration.
Yep, Japan does exactly that for the most part, their immigration policies are very strict.
It's extremely difficult for a non-Japanese person to become a citizen.

Japan has very high standards which is why their nation is so productive, successful, and at the leading edge of technological innovation. They also have one of the lowest crime rates of any developed nation, and they have no problems with ethnic or racial conflicts because their population is 98% ethnic japanese.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I'm just shaking my head at the ignorance displayed in this thread.
That's kind of a smug thing to say.
Are you a nobel prize winner or something? Is there a reason why your opinion would be more valuable than anyone else's opinion in this thread?

Quote:
Do any of you read newspapers?
Yes I do. The Wallstreet Journal mainly.
Does anyone have the time in their day to read through multiple newspapers though?
The NY Times is incredibly thick.

Quote:
Have you not heard about people in Central America being threatened with shootings if they don't join gangs?
That really sucks. What do you want us to do about it?
Central America's problems are Central America's problems.

Quote:
How about all the former American allies in the Middle East who risked their lives to help US soldiers who are now told they're not welcome?
So because they were allies with us while fighting terrorists, that automatically guarantees them a life in the U.S., a nice house, and an xbox game system? C'mon, let's get real.

Quote:
If you're going to keep going on about liberals,
For me, the problem isn't with liberals.
The problem in America at the moment is a wide chasm that exists between those who have a realistic sense of reality and those who are deluded by utopian idealism.

The reality is that money doesn't grow on trees, we have a 20 trillion dollar national debt, and we should be fixing our own problems over here instead of trying to be the world's homeless shelter or trying to police the globe.

Quote:
I wll give you the point that half the voters wanted change. But the other half wanted something else, call it the status quo if you want. They didn't want this immigrant bashing.
Who's bashing immigrants?

Quote:
Do I wish there was no "illegal" immigration? Of course. But the reality is that people come here any way they can because they want a better life.
And the American way of life for many already here is slowly disappearing.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:10 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,064,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
That's kind of a smug thing to say.
Are you a nobel prize winner or something? Is there a reason why your opinion would be more valuable than anyone else's opinion in this thread?
Where did I say that I'm the only one allowed to have an opinion? I said there is a lot of ignorance. Nothing stops you from writing whatever you want. All you say comes down to isolationism. America First, and f*** the rest of the world. I will try not to repeat myself.

We are a better country when we care about others, whether American or from another country.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Where did I say that I'm the only one allowed to have an opinion? I said there is a lot of ignorance.
Your posts exemplify that.

Quote:
Nothing stops you from writing whatever you want. All you say comes down to isolationism. America First, and f*** the rest of the world. I will try not to repeat myself.
America First sounds like a fantastic idea. Nearly every other nation around the globe puts their nation and their people first, why should America be different? Why should America be forced to operate under a ridiculous double standard that most other countries won't follow?

Quote:
We are a better country when we care about others, whether American or from another country.
You can care about people all you want, but our American tax dollars should be spent in America.
If you want to help people in Central America or Africa, use your own money or time to do so.
Don't try to force the American taxpayers to take up the third world as their burden.

As far as the rest of the world is concerned, I would offer this statement my dad often said in referrence to third world nations:

"Quit asking us for fish, and learn how to fish your damn selves!"

That's a good motto to live by.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:13 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
You're completely free to take in as many illegals as you want. Pay for their visa process including housing, food, education, etc.

The problem is when leftist beg for more illegals, don't want to vet them, don't want to pay for their free ride, and instead off load their costs onto taxpayers.

It's selfish to expect others to pay for your "compassion".
What leftists begging for more illegals? Why would anyone (aside from industry) beg for more illegals? And why leftists? It's mostly very conservative business that wants the illegals.

I still don't get this issue.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:59 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What leftists begging for more illegals? Why would anyone (aside from industry) beg for more illegals? And why leftists? It's mostly very conservative business that wants the illegals.

I still don't get this issue.
When you really dig into the data and look at the people and businesses that are putting the "illegals" to work, it's often not "leftists" - if anything, it has nothing to do with political ideology. It has everything to do with money. Specifically, wanting to pay someone less than is legally required to do the work that they need done.

I don't know - crazy thought - but MAYBE...we should be targeting these people and businesses that employ these business practices?? I don't know - for as much yammering there is in here about "sanctuary cities" and "liberals", I sure don't see people even mentioning this point (let alone trying to think of solutions to solve it).

This very much goes to the heart of the issue. If these people can't find work, then they will go back to their home countries.

I'm VERY much for having "legals" work these jobs at the legal minimum wages (if not more). I'm about as "leftist" as one comes. I'm also prepared to pay higher prices for products that are made here by Americans. Is everyone else? I'm not sure - Walmart pricing has ingrained in people's minds that things should cost as little as possible...where it was made (and by whom) be damned.

This seems to the biggest issue to all of this discussion about immigration and American-made products...something for which there is likely not an easy solution (how do you pay people minimum/living wages AND maintain cheap pricing for products that Americans depend upon?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland