Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:20 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times

Advertisements

I've lived in many cities in my life and still post about them. Moving isn't a divorce. SF was the most recent city I lived so I talk more in the SF forum vs cities I've lived before SF. If I end up moving again in the future, I'm still going to post in the city I live in now as well. I think for those who haven't moved in their lives or only moved once for a specific reason, they don't understand this. This country and this world is so huge, that it's mind boggling to me how more people don't want to experience life in other places. If you have children etc, I can understand the need to settle. So far I've never lived in a place that I hate, every place has had pros and cons, but overall, all of them have been pleasant experiences overall.

When it comes to SF, there are plenty of reasons people move out such as wanting a more family friendly environment (homes with yards, no homeless, good schools, quiet streets etc), housing costs (doesnt mean you cant afford to live, but it could mean you want a 4 bedroom house with a large yard), personal tastes (warmer weather, suburban environment etc)... you get the idea. Most people who move cities don't do it because they hate their life, there is usually a rationale reason or a person may just be bored... you can only watch a movie so many times before getting bored, even if it's one of your favorites, if you start watching a different movie, it doesn't mean you hate the old one now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 09:23 AM

45 posts, read 37,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Post away, folks. I love hearing viewpoints from people that have left here and can gives their thoughts (good or bad) about the new area they live in.

I'm thinking Oakcity isn't the King of the forum.

This is why we have a forum (not to censor others). I believe it's within the code of conduct as long as it relates to SF and it's surrounding area.
King of the forum? This is a legitimate question.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
I still live here, but stopped posting when I realized most of the threads were people who want to live here getting advice from people who don't. That or people who also don't live here displaying the chip on their shoulder.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:50 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
I welcome it.

I find some of the biggest radicals are transplants who angrily left bum___ nowhere or at very least, some socially conservative Eastern urban enclave. They come here to the Bay Area for some kind of wonderful catharsis (I'm free now!! Yipeee!) and having many like themselves around here, it feeds itself.

So in addition to whatever historical impetus for liberalism (e.g. the frontier, the Gold Rush, the Barbary Coast, the freewheeling early globalism due to many from all over descending upon this area), there is a self fulfilling aspect of more recent origin. It's actually a knee jerk reaction against the Reagan conservatism of the 80s, plus other similar things since then.

This all combines in a stew to create the Mother of all Bubbles (and I'm not talking about this in the market sense). People who heartily agree with "What's Wrong With Kansas" are at home here and at their pinnacle. Groupthink sets in, and before you know it, even relatively moderate positions get characterized as Fascism from the Christian Identity Colonies of the Idaho Panhandle.

We need something to counter all of this, to maintain a fingerhold on sanity.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,608 times
People can definitely be hypersensitive to a reasonable interpretation of the facts.

The SAN Francisco Bay Area is one of the most highly educated and wealthy areas in the country. Ambitious,highly educated people from not just the USA but Europe ,Asia,South America come here for lucrative jobs in technology,finance ,biotech ,academia venture capital etc. it is extremely competitive here.many people come here and lack the educational attainment,ambition and skills to succeed in the Bay Area.they have to retreat to southern red states and are bitter that life didn't turn out like they hope so they post in forums denigrating the bay area and people who have excelled in a region that proved them woefully inadequate.

I mean let's face it if you're making $600,000+ a year and own a home somewhere like presidio heights or noe valley your not going give it up and end up in Texas or Georgia

Just a different view nothing to be hypersensitive about.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:43 AM

911 posts, read 590,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Lol @ this. I said I get a kick out of it when I read troll threads. I never said I purposely post to pi$$ people off. Good job
Actually, you have admitted in the past that you deliberately postto pi** people off. Exact words you used. Very mature.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:42 AM

351 posts, read 342,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510 Oakcity View Post
Why are you here? Most of you who have left, left it because you claimed to hate it or it was too liberal or some other reason. Yet you keep coming in here adding your miserable , I'm mad I'm in a better place now comments. Sounds to me like you're mad you couldn't afford the area and really wish you could live here. I know after I left School in Louisville, KY I feel and felt no need to bash the city after I was gone even though I hated the place. I'm not on the Louisville forum even though I spent 4 years there. What's your purpose here?
lol you mad?

Old 05-10-2017, 05:51 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
They don't have anything else to do, aka don't have a life.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:37 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They don't have anything else to do, aka don't have a life.
Your logic doesn't make sense.

You're saying if someone who used to live in the area, posts on this specific forum, they don't have a life? But technically they're still just posting on a forum at the end of the day, just as you have. So you don't have a life either?

Old 05-10-2017, 06:57 PM

308 posts, read 467,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
But I have to say living in another state allows me to step back and look at Ca from a different perspective.

What I find is interesting is how some Ca posters are so intolerant of other opinions and the best response they can come up with is the assumption that the out of state poster couldn't make it in Ca when in fact some are wealthier than the OP.
After living in SF & Alameda for 20 years, we moved to Upstate NY (I'm a native) for three years. We came back here a year ago and are now getting ready to move to NY again for a couple more years. I find that my perspective off this area changes after I have been away for a bit. We were reluctant to come back here last year because the quality of life in many aspects was much better in a smaller metro, namely traffic and ease to do things. I find that we take in more museums, concerts, theater and other cultural aspects in Upstate NY, mainly because it's so much easier to do that there.

For the next few years, we'll float back and forth every couple years or so. We are setting it up so that we no longer need to move all our possessions when we go back and forth.

As for still following the SF forum, as I own property here and I know that I'll be back... it's only natural to be interested in what is going on here. This forum plays a part in it. And, there is the fact that we *do* keep coming back here.... that is telling. CA, despite some of its drawbacks still has so much to offer us. As does the Northeast and its beauty, snow included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland