Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:07 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Yes. And your point is? You certainly havent addressed the question put to you. At all. How does addressing the "psychology of whining" demonstrate the location a poster lives in, or a poster's insecurity, as you claimed, about wherever s/he might live?
It's an example of your nitpicking rather than wanting to have a discussion that more people, IMO, might find is more germane to the topic. My original reply to you that included #1 and #2 didn't include every technical possibly no matter how remote....it included what is likely.

I agree with CaliRestoration. The 'StanleysOwl' account is Tulemutt's account #2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 11:09 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Yes. Very good. You corrected an intentional, joking use of slang (obviously you didn't get the joke). And you found a typo. How erudite and 'sophosisticated' of you.

Now then, back to the actual issues and questions you never answered?
Nice try. It wasn't an intentional use of slang, but by all means continue to claim that it was.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I welcome it.

I find some of the biggest radicals are transplants who angrily left bum___ nowhere or at very least, some socially conservative Eastern urban enclave. They come here to the Bay Area for some kind of wonderful catharsis (I'm free now!! Yipeee!) and having many like themselves around here, it feeds itself.

So in addition to whatever historical impetus for liberalism (e.g. the frontier, the Gold Rush, the Barbary Coast, the freewheeling early globalism due to many from all over descending upon this area), there is a self fulfilling aspect of more recent origin. It's actually a knee jerk reaction against the Reagan conservatism of the 80s, plus other similar things since then.

This all combines in a stew to create the Mother of all Bubbles (and I'm not talking about this in the market sense). People who heartily agree with "What's Wrong With Kansas" are at home here and at their pinnacle. Groupthink sets in, and before you know it, even relatively moderate positions get characterized as Fascism from the Christian Identity Colonies of the Idaho Panhandle.

We need something to counter all of this, to maintain a fingerhold on sanity.

I don't know what this means.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:27 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510 Oakcity View Post
Why are you here? Most of you who have left, left it because you claimed to hate it or it was too liberal or some other reason. Yet you keep coming in here adding your miserable , I'm mad I'm in a better place now comments. Sounds to me like you're mad you couldn't afford the area and really wish you could live here. I know after I left School in Louisville, KY I feel and felt no need to bash the city after I was gone even though I hated the place. I'm not on the Louisville forum even though I spent 4 years there. What's your purpose here?
NOPE DEADWRONG IN MY CASE>
I loved my city. Left d/t divorce and for love (life/lol). No bitterness at all - I loved San Francisco and all her nooks and crannies- like to check back to give input when I can and for nostalgia. SF was very affordable for me and it wasn't entirely up to me that I had to move....

Old 05-18-2017, 11:43 PM

911 posts, read 590,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It's an example of your nitpicking rather than wanting to have a discussion that more people, IMO, might find is more germane to the topic. My original reply to you that included #1 and #2 didn't include every technical possibly no matter how remote....it included what is likely.

I agree with CaliRestoration. The 'StanleysOwl' account is Tulemutt's account #2.
You still havent made any sense here. The topic is discussion of why some people cant let go of a place they say they didnt like, right? So they obsess and rag on and on instead of moving on with their new lives. Now how is the "psychology of whining" nitpicking or off topic? Its precisely ON topic. It is the nut of the topic.

You seem to have a personal grudge here, speaking of off topic discourse with nothing germaine to add.

Continues to amuse how any intelligent, rational poster with a good vocabulary must be that tulemutt guy. He must have about a dozen different accounts.

Quote:
Nice try. It wasn't an intentional use of slang, but by all means continue to claim that it was.
And you know this how? Is there some consistent pattern of inept grammar that tips you off? Show some examples. Better yet, find a way to be actually "germaine" to the topic.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
NOPE DEADWRONG IN MY CASE>
I loved my city. Left d/t divorce and for love (life/lol). No bitterness at all - I loved San Francisco and all her nooks and crannies- like to check back to give input when I can and for nostalgia. SF was very affordable for me and it wasn't entirely up to me that I had to move....
Thank you! I get tired of a few people that state that people who move away from Ca couldn't cut it there. Maybe it's their way of reassuring themselves how much more superior they are over others.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:27 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Have you checked with Mutt? Unlikely.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:28 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I post here occasionally, as I lived there for over 30 years, & still love the city. We had to move, as we retired & needed somewhere cheaper. But I hold no animosity.
This is the case for me too. I had hoped to retire in the Sierra foothills, possibly somewhere around Mariposa but just could not find what I was looking for. I somewhat reluctantly moved to rural Sw Virginia where I was able to purchase a huge house on 28 acres of land with both a year round pond and about 1,200 ft of year round creek. That was back in '06 and so I sold my little 2 bed/1 bath bungalow in Oakland for 3 times what I had paid for it 16 years earlier and purchased this place for 70% of what I got for the sale of my CA place.

There are things that I still miss but have learned to accept as an occasional treat - Chinese and Indian foods top the list. here traffic jams are very rare, mostly when some cows manage to bust down a bit of fencing and they all loiter in the road. Everyone stops to help get them back into the pasture and then we go on about our day.

The bay area was a great place to live for the 32 years that comprised the bulk of my working life. Retirement is a whole other ballgame. I came and read on this sub-forum about how things were going in the region and occasionally posted if someone asked "Where's a great, out of the way place to go camping with dogs, or some other question where I might have something useful to contribute.

Now if some of you would volunteer to send some Chinese and/or Indian food and some Semifreddi's challah that would be very nice. I don't miss the traveling to some of great dog parks because now there is one right out the back door.

I worry about all you guys and the possibility of a significant quake on the Hayward fault so I still contribute to the National Search Dog Foundation, but hope they will not be needed for a very long time.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:22 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Funny....I lived in san Francsco in the 90s for number of years before going to law school. In many ways it was a very hard decision to leave because i really enjoyed it but it made the most sense given what I wanted to do in my career and where I was accepted. I never did move back because my best job offers by far were in the area where I went to law school, but I always missed it. I joined City Data many years ago when I was looking for a new job but had never actually even peeked at the SF forum until today. I was just curious to peek in to the forum beonging to the place I loved like no other. People leave for all kinds of reasons, certainly not always ecause they hated it.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:45 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510 Oakcity View Post
Why are you here? Most of you who have left, left it because you claimed to hate it or it was too liberal or some other reason. Yet you keep coming in here adding your miserable , I'm mad I'm in a better place now comments. Sounds to me like you're mad you couldn't afford the area and really wish you could live here. I know after I left School in Louisville, KY I feel and felt no need to bash the city after I was gone even though I hated the place. I'm not on the Louisville forum even though I spent 4 years there. What's your purpose here?
What the heck are you talking about? You sound like a t**ll. I post here because I like the area and plan to move back. I just don't know when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland