Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
LOL, what? That's a crazy statement. The outer Bay Area? How far out we talking here?

Ok. Cupertino. Saratoga. Los Gatos. Where are the nicer places for 1/3-1/2 the prices?
Much of Marin County, Piedmont, Lamorinda, Alamo, Danville, etc...
Quote:
Those are not test scores. Do you not understand Greatschools? That's just a ranking, its based on some algorithm they have that measures visitor feedback plus some other stuff, but isn't based on test scores alone.
I clearly just stated that, again there is more to schools than just test scores.

Quote:
Proximity to tech jobs is superior for tech workers, and that's who chooses Cupertino, primarily. How is this confusing to you? It has been this way for many years.
It's not but based on the fact that you keep repeating that it seems fairly confusing to you. I'll try one more time, try and comprehend what I'm saying this time; for anyone who works outside of tech, which for the 10th time is the MAJORITY OF PEOPLE IN THE BAY AREA, places like Cupertino are incredibly overpriced. Clearly tech workers find value in Cupertino, good for them?. Do you understand what I just said now?

Quote:
Yes, Cupertino no longer has what one could call a downtown, but the residents there don't really seem to mind very much. They form their civic public spaces in other ways that they appear to enjoy though. I'm not sure what you mean by amenities? They have some nice parks, golf courses, a community college, award winning K-12 schools, lots of dining options, open space, proximity to other points of interest. Is this about BART? Most people that I talk to think BART sucks and don't want it in their community.
Clearly they don't mind or care about all of the amenities, such as a nice, vibrant downtown, that their city lacks as they choose to overpay for some run of the mill, dull post war suburb. Thank's Captain Obvious. That's completely irrelevant to the notion of Cupertino being overpriced for what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 09:44 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
LOL, what? That's a crazy statement. The outer Bay Area? How far out we talking here?

Ok. Cupertino. Saratoga. Los Gatos. Where are the nicer places for 1/3-1/2 the prices?

Those are not test scores. Do you not understand Greatschools? That's just a ranking, its based on some algorithm they have that measures visitor feedback plus some other stuff, but isn't based on test scores alone.

Proximity to tech jobs is superior for tech workers, and that's who chooses Cupertino, primarily. How is this confusing to you? It has been this way for many years.

Yes, Cupertino no longer has what one could call a downtown, but the residents there don't really seem to mind very much. They form their civic public spaces in other ways that they appear to enjoy though. I'm not sure what you mean by amenities? They have some nice parks, golf courses, a community college, award winning K-12 schools, lots of dining options, open space, proximity to other points of interest. Is this about BART? Most people that I talk to think BART sucks and don't want it in their community.

Yah, the competition can be intense. But since when is being well-prepared a bad thing? There has ALWAYS been test prep for people that wanted to do that. But now that more people are, its a problem, because now your kids have to prepare too? LOL. Its just kinda amusing that you're complaining about this.

I've not said that - what I mean and have always meant by good schools is good students (and to some extent that implies good parents too). Exactly....you are just repeating the reality of the differences between a place like WC - with basically no tech employment, and a place like Cupertino, with basically all tech employment. Opposite ends of the scale of distribution of employment opportunities .....which is exactly why Cupertino costs so much more - the people that choose Cupertino do so because of the tech employment (and the school system that meets their criteria), and its that employment that gives them the financial resources to spend 2x what they might have spent in a community like WC. But for them, its worth it, for all the reasons we've already covered in this thread. That's their choice.

I just really can't think of anything super fun or interesting going on in either place, frankly. What exactly did you mean by "way more to offer"? Like, what would be super fun or interesting in the East Bay? Like the Oakland Zoo? I love the zoo, I think its great. But you only need to go there a few times a year maybe, right? You don't need to live next door to the zoo to enjoy what it has to offer. That's kinda why I'm skeptical. You can live anywhere in the Bay Area and visit any of the major attractions anywhere in the Bay Area, you don't need to actually live near them to do that, and it would be kinda silly to make a decision where to live based solely on proximity to something like that.
I'm just catching up on this thread and I'm finding it very interesting. Cupertino is a nice place, it has its advantages, which are mostly top-ranking schools and tech jobs. Presume most people that live there and spend the big bucks are almost exclusively focused on success. Their lives revolve around their jobs and their kids getting similar jobs. In the East Bay suburbs, people are looking for a slightly different quality of life with perhaps a greater balance. The schools in Contra Costa County are also highly competitive, especially in Orinda, Lafayette, Moraga, Danville, and Alamo. All of those schools are among the best in the state and should be very comprable to Cupertino. And those cities are maybe just slightly less expensive. A city like Walnut Creek is a little bit more of a balance, with maybe schools in the low 90th percentiles instead of in the upper 90th percentiles. For some people, that's not good enough, but for many people it is. But I don't think you spent much time in any of those suburbs to say that the nicest ones are just average in San Mateo County. Aside from Burlingame and December extent, San Mateo, what's so great about San Mateo County suburbs? Foster City, Belmont, San Carlos, Daly City, they're all extremely average. A city like Walnut Creek has far more amenities to offer in terms of extremely large and vibrant downtown, a real hustle and bustle that the peninsula suburbs lack, but then on the other end of the spectrum, horse ranches just minutes away. The entire city is surrounded by protected open space through a network of regional and state parks, which also offers hiking and mountain biking within minutes. There's a huge sense of community, with a variety of festivals and events happening all year, and there's a large Performing Arts Center as well. For more cultural amenities, it's a very quick drive to downtown Berkeley or the Paramount Theater in Oakland. And you can get to the city on BART very easily without worrying about parking. Truly, I think a place that Walnut Creek offers and incredible overall quality of life with a balance of extremely high-ranking schools, Intown amenities, scenery, Community spirit, climate, and access two larger Bay Area cities that just can't be found in San Mateo County.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:49 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's nice. The Central Valley has wineries too. It's still not Napa or Sonoma nor is it filled with Michelin star restaurants. Well considering how empty most NorCal beaches are most of the time, especially considering the population of the Bay Area, it's safe to say not a lot of people here are beach people. The beaches along Lake Tahoe are a lot more crowded in summer than the ones near the Bay Area lol.

I never said you "need" to be close to it just as you don't need to be close to the beach. It's just another list of the amenities places like Walnut Creek are near. And that area offers a lot more than just attending a game.

Either way I was just pointing out Cupertino isn't located near more interesting places at all. Whether you prefer what it's near is completely irrelevant.

Not really, all of Walnut Creek's schools range from 7-10 just as do Cupertino's. Also I wasn't just talking about Walnut Creek too but also the Lamorinda area. Many people who move to WC/Lamorinda are doing so for the public schools.

Walnut Creek is part of Acalanes Union High School District, I know because my high school I attended in Walnut Creek is part of that district.
Regarding the beach thing, Cupertino is relatively close to the Santa Cruz / Capitola Aptos area, which is quite different from the San Mateo County, San Francisco, or Marin beaches. I would wager to say there are far more people at those beaches in the summer than along Lake Tahoe, because those are actually bustling, sandy, sunny ocean beaches surrounded by actual cities and infrastructure. Perhaps that area is an anomaly along the Northern California coast, but I will admit that it's a nice anomaly to have access to, kind of a little taste of SoCal in the middle of otherwise rugged wilderness. As for the wineries, Cupertino is very close to the Santa Cruz Mountain wineries, certainly closer than the Eastbay is to Napa, and that's nothing to sneeze at either. Then again, you're farther from the city, you're farther from Tahoe, etcetera so location wise, each area has its pros and cons.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Regarding the beach thing, Cupertino is relatively close to the Santa Cruz / Capitola Aptos area, which is quite different from the San Mateo County, San Francisco, or Marin beaches. I would wager to say there are far more people at those beaches in the summer than along Lake Tahoe, because those are actually bustling, sandy, sunny ocean beaches surrounded by actual cities and infrastructure. Perhaps that area is an anomaly along the Northern California coast, but I will admit that it's a nice anomaly to have access to, kind of a little taste of SoCal in the middle of otherwise rugged wilderness. As for the wineries, Cupertino is very close to the Santa Cruz Mountain wineries, certainly closer than the Eastbay is to Napa, and that's nothing to sneeze at either. Then again, you're farther from the city, you're farther from Tahoe, etcetera so location wise, each area has its pros and cons.
That's not a very large area and is less shoreline than Tahoe.

Great Livermore has wineries too and is even closer . Compared to the Napa and Sonoma Valley's I would say Santa Cruz Mountains is something to sneeze at and not really worth mentioning.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:21 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Santa Cruz is dirty, full of homeless & crackheads. I’m not sure why everyone speaks so highly of Santa Cruz. The boardwalk is also dirty and overcrowded. It’s my last choice for a beach day

Old 01-12-2018, 11:03 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Hey folks - live where you like. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Santa Cruz is dirty, full of homeless & crackheads. I’m not sure why everyone speaks so highly of Santa Cruz. The boardwalk is also dirty and overcrowded. It’s my last choice for a beach day
Because it's the only one with sun and that isn't freezing cold (the air temp at least) in summer lol.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:41 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
Quote:
Because it's the only one with sun and that isn't freezing cold (the air temp at least) in summer lol.
I’ve always found Monterey & Carmel (by the sea) very pleasant as far as the weather/temperatures go. I guess that is a little further depending where in the Bay Area you’re, but well worth the little extra drive to me.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
Much of Marin County, Piedmont, Lamorinda, Alamo, Danville, etc...
I clearly just stated that, again there is more to schools than just test scores.

It's not but based on the fact that you keep repeating that it seems fairly confusing to you. I'll try one more time, try and comprehend what I'm saying this time; for anyone who works outside of tech, which for the 10th time is the MAJORITY OF PEOPLE IN THE BAY AREA, places like Cupertino are incredibly overpriced. Clearly tech workers find value in Cupertino, good for them?. Do you understand what I just said now?

Clearly they don't mind or care about all of the amenities, such as a nice, vibrant downtown, that their city lacks as they choose to overpay for some run of the mill, dull post war suburb. Thank's Captain Obvious. That's completely irrelevant to the notion of Cupertino being overpriced for what it is.
Clearly Cupertino is NOT overpriced for what it is - a destination/lifestyle experience for tech workers and their families. It is only overpriced for people that don't care about the things THOSE people care about. If you're in the market for that, it isn't overpriced.

Its like saying a certain car is overpriced. If you don't care about the features of that car, it is overpriced for YOU because you don't care. But for people what want that feature, its not.

Quote:
That's not a very large area and is less shoreline than Tahoe.

Great Livermore has wineries too and is even closer . Compared to the Napa and Sonoma Valley's I would say Santa Cruz Mountains is something to sneeze at and not really worth mentioning.
The Tahoe shoreline is 70 miles but most of it is rocky or muddy, not sandy beaches. People go to the beach because you can walk unimpeded for 10+ miles in either direction all on public nice sandy beaches. All the way from Soquel down to Monterey, all public sandy beaches as far as the eye can see. Heck there is probably more feet of sandy shoreline just on San Gregorio or Pompano State beaches, than all of Lake Tahoe. And a lot of the Tahoe beaches are in Nevada and private. Most tourists to Tahoe wind up in the same few beaches in South Lake Tahoe which is why they are so crowded and dirty.

Quote:
I was at the Boardwalk this summer on a weekend and it was clean and not overcrowded. Parking was also fine. There are lots of dirty street people and lowlifes in Santa Cruz - they mooch off the tourists and the overly generous welfare services that the county offers, and take advantage of the "tolerance" and laid back nature of the locals.

Quote:
It gets plenty hot at the real beach in the summer, it all depends on the weather. We spend about 2 weeks a year in both places. There are positives and negatives to each. Tahoe is really overcrowded in the summer, the heat can be oppressive, and the tourists are obnoxious. We try to avoid the holidays.

In Santa Cruz county the pace/vibe is much more laid back in the summer, its not so crowded except for a few tourist hotspots which we normally avoid. Its always fun though to walk around on the Boardwalk and out on the wharf - we just dont usually hang out at that beach.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
I’ve always found Monterey & Carmel (by the sea) very pleasant as far as the weather/temperatures go. I guess that is a little further depending where in the Bay Area you’re, but well worth the little extra drive to me.
Agree, its a great area. When I was a kid we spent a lot of our summer vacations in Carmel or Pajaro Dunes. I used to say I want to live here when I grow up. Never have, as work pulled me in the other direction. But we make time to get down there as often as possible! I wouldn't mind operating a B&B in Carmel...that has a certain appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland